Fostex TH900 MkII
Sep 20, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #151 of 1,501
I'm thinking of getting the TH-900 to pair with my Mojo. I previously heard that it wasn't a good combination. Can someone elaborate why?

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #152 of 1,501
I'm thinking of getting the TH-900 to pair with my Mojo. I previously heard that it wasn't a good combination. Can someone elaborate why?

I will receive a Mojo within 2 days .. will report back later ,,
for the mean time i can confirm its working fine with my Audeze Deckard < great pairing ..

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #153 of 1,501

I've used the TH-900Mk2 with the Mojo for six months and think it's a fantastic combination. Very analog-sounding, good detail, but not at all crispy or fatiguing. Plenty of low-end power, but not boomy. Probably not for people coming from the HD-850 world, but I can see why Drew at Moon Audio recommended them. Took a good couple of weeks to settle in, and I did do some of the Lawton mods.

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #154 of 1,501
Thanks for the deal info! I sold the mk1 to a friend of mine and got the mk2 today. 

I ordered a FitEar IEM cable to go with the mk2 for flexibility. Will report back tmr.

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #155 of 1,501
I will receive a Mojo within 2 days .. will report back later ,,
for the mean time i can confirm its working fine with my Audeze Deckard < great pairing ..

Awesome, I hope it provides enough power without an additional amp.

I've used the TH-900Mk2 with the Mojo for six months and think it's a fantastic combination. Very analog-sounding, good detail, but not at all crispy or fatiguing. Plenty of low-end power, but not boomy. Probably not for people coming from the HD-850 world, but I can see why Drew at Moon Audio recommended them. Took a good couple of weeks to settle in, and I did do some of the Lawton mods.

How do you find the weight? I found the T1 to be a bit too heavy for my neck, are the Th-900's heavier?

Also, how about pairing these with the Bottlehead Mainline? Anyone who has such a pairing?

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #156 of 1,501

i just did some listening with the Mojo and th900

Mojo is OK as desktop dac/amp ( it feels thin sounding ) ..
as  portable rig , its perfect and more than enough

i like it more as a dac with the Audeze Deckard . much better bass ,, with meaty sound

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #157 of 1,501
  Thanks for the deal info! I sold the mk1 to a friend of mine and got the mk2 today. 

I ordered a FitEar IEM cable to go with the mk2 for flexibility. Will report back tmr.

can you put a link from where you got it ,, and please if you can report back how it fit
( with picture will be lovely :)  )

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #158 of 1,501
i just did some listening with the Mojo and th900

Mojo is OK as desktop dac/amp ( it feels thin sounding ) ..
as  portable rig , its perfect and more than enough

i like it more as a dac with the Audeze Deckard . much better bass ,, with meaty sound

I use the Mainline as my amp paired with the Mojo as DAC, with my HD800. However, I'm not sure how it will pair with the TH-900 since it's a tube amp and might be too warm.

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #159 of 1,501
Just received my MK II and fresh out of the box with my iDSD/Lyr 2 chain it's sound pretty good. I am glad to hear that the bass is not basshead levels or quantity. It's very well controlled, fast with a good extension into the sub bass frequencies. When a track needs it, the bass delivers. Mids are pretty neutral. The highs to my ears are pretty bright. These really punish so-so mastered tracks, but reward hi-res ones. At the moment I have -1 db at 8 kHz and -2 db at 16 kHz which sounds about right for my ears. I wouldn't be surprised if I just zero those out after some burn in.

Sound bleed is not bad. Certainly not full closed, but at moderate sound levels pretty safe in an office environment but not library. Soundstage is very well balanced in width and depth.

Aesthetically, these are beautiful and really stand out. Comfort is really good for my head.

Compared to my recent full sized headphones:

T5P - TH900 has deeper, more present low end, similar mids, just a notch below highs of the T5P but also not as glaring.
Ether C - TH900 has deeper low end and a little more quantity. Ether C has a little more warmth in the mids and the highs are more smoother than TH900.

Even so, the comparison is not fair because I was listening to the T5P and Ether C with a fully balanced latest Mjolnir/Gungnir stack. I would have loved to keep that stack, but I simply don't have the desktop space. At least with the Lyr 2, I can still try some tube rolling. I'm really curious how the TH900 sound on the Gen 2 Woo Audio W7.

Update 9/30 - I swapped iDSD for Mojo and like the combination better with Lyr 2. About 40 hrs of burn in and have settled on the following EQ - +1 dB 512 Hz, +1 dB 1K Hz, -1 dB 8K Hz, -2 dB 16K Hz. Pretty much minor tweaks to my own personal preference. Of all my prior full size cans, TH900 required the least amount of EQ to my liking which is neutral with a touch of added low end.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #160 of 1,501

I auditioned them today and I am really impressed.
So far the best closed back I have ever heard as it really does everything right, although maybe not perfect for my taste because of the recessed midrange and sometimes piercing treble.

I'm considering it as I need a good pair of cans to use at night when baby is sleeping and I can't risk waking him up with my Edition X (open back).

I will try to test the T5p 2nd Gen as well before deciding.

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #161 of 1,501

I auditioned them today and I am really impressed.
So far the best closed back I have ever heard as it really does everything right, although maybe not perfect for my taste because of the recessed midrange and sometimes piercing treble.

I'm considering it as I need a good pair of cans to use at night when baby is sleeping and I can't risk waking him up with my Edition X (open back).

I will try to test the T5p 2nd Gen as well before deciding.

As a new mkII owner myself, it really is a pleasure listening to them through my Shiit Uber stack.  It really does everything right in my opinion (as a primarily EDM listener), the bass is perfect for me as well as everything else. My custom rosewood Grado's are taking a break at the moment.

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #162 of 1,501

As a new mkII owner myself, it really is a pleasure listening to them through my Shiit Uber stack.  It really does everything right in my opinion (as a primarily EDM listener), the bass is perfect for me as well as everything else. My custom rosewood Grado's are taking a break at the moment.

Have you or anyone had the chance to do a direct comparison against the Beyerdynamic T5p?

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #163 of 1,501

Have you or anyone had the chance to do a direct comparison against the Beyerdynamic T5p?

I did. TH900 wins to my taste. T5p is just too dull to me. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #165 of 1,501
Which pairing would you go for?

(Going in order from cheapest to most $$$ for me)

- Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber

- Chord Mojo

- Modi 2 Multibit + Magni 2 Uber?

- the new Jotunheim (w/DAC)

Mainly looking for desktop use with a PC, I have an Apogee Duet 2 but sadly it only works on Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back