Fostex TH900 MkII
Oct 18, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #181 of 1,501
I've been a Fostex TH600 and then 900 owner since they basically came out. Love my heavily modded TH900's. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/12570#post_12364700

That was back in Feb when I just got the EQP-WA (yes, the hardware tube ones with CineMag transformers x2 so $699/ea = $1400)

But I still stand by what I said there. The EQ in chain is amazing. Hardware warms up the TH900's beautifully. And you have full control over everything.

Not common but thought I'd mention it :)

Oct 19, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #182 of 1,501

Here's a couple suggestions:

1) Lyr 2 - it's a hybrid amp so don't expect major changes with tube rolling. I find the Phillips Miniwatt E88CC SQ to add a little smoothing on the treble and brings mids a touch forward. The "holy grail" Reflektor 75 does tighten up the low end a bit, but the mids stay flat, and the treble is a touch too sharp for my tastes.

2) Try using Audirvana player and enable PCM to DSD conversion. This will bypass the iDSD DAC filters and I find the sound to be a little thicker in the mids and the highs smoothed out as well. You do need some major CPU horse power though. On my MacBook Pro with i7 processor, the best I can do is DSD 64. Anything higher gets occasional pauses in playback. You might want to try just straight up PCM up sampling too. That should smooth out some treble as well.

Thanks for these tips! First I have to say that I'll definitely continue tube rolling, so its very nice to have suggestions for that.

Secondly I didn't even think about bypassing the iDSD filters, so that'll be an interesting test, good tip also.

What comes to the sound, I'm not after a huge change because the TH900's actually are quite nice with many well mixed records. I'm using them mostly for 80's Hard Rock and Metal, so in that genre only some recordings tend to sound bit piercing on the treble.

I also ordered Lawton Mod (Step #1) so lets see does that adjust the sound to the right direction.

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #183 of 1,501
I think I have my preferred setup for the TH900 MKII:

Custom balanced cable from Headphonelounge.com (Ted Allen)
Lawton angled pads
Teac UD-503 Balanced DAC/amp

The combo tightens up the bass and takes some edge off the highs for a pretty balanced sound imho. No need for EQ for my personal listening taste. Each upgrade above contributed, but no one is night/day difference imho. I will be selling my iDSD and Lyr 2 in classified soon LOL.

One of the great features of the UD-503 is the ability to select various up sampling and digital filter options. If  your DAC has similar features, here is what I have experienced to my ears (ALAC files):

1. PCM, no up sampling, no digital filters sounded good, but was a bit too edgy in the trebles
  2. PCM digital filters ranged from a mix of minimum phase to linear phase. Minimum phase worked well with the highs, but lost something in the sub bass region. Linear phase brought the sub bass back, but highs were not as detailed.
  3. PCM to DSD up sampling - this bypasses the digital filters which gave a smoother top end without too much loss of sub bass. However, the mids sounded a bit compressed.
  4. PCM max up sampling (352/384 kHz), no digital filters is the best setting to my ears. Takes some edge of the treble and retains sub bass. Mids still fairly neutral.

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #184 of 1,501
Hi all ,,
i can confirm today that sennheiser 600-650 cable are not compatible with TH-900 MK2
I just got official sennheiser cable and checked the polarity of the large and small pins  with multimeter
and i found that it is reversed

Th correct order for TH-900  is :
Large Pin = Hot
Small Pin = ground

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #185 of 1,501
  Hi all ,,
i can confirm today that sennheiser 600-650 cable are not compatible with TH-900 MK2
I just got official sennheiser cable and checked the polarity of the large and small pins  with multimeter
and i found that it is reversed

Th correct order for TH-900  is :
Large Pin = Hot
Small Pin = ground

That's right. Also depending on the connector brand, the pins will not go deep enough into the MK II sockets to lock. I worked with Ted Allen on my custom cable and needed to remove about 1.5mm of of material around the base of the connector so the pins would lock.

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #187 of 1,501
Can anyone tell difference between this and previous versions?

None, only the removable cable.
So nice to have if you want to change cables from time to time, otherwise you're better off with a hardwired cable.
I replaced my cable with a great hardwired cable and am glad I don't have an extra connector in the signal path.

Nov 25, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #190 of 1,501
Nov 25, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #192 of 1,501
LOL
smily_headphones1.gif
. I hope you enjoy them.I decided to go with these over the Elear. I think they will pair well with my HP8.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #193 of 1,501
  LOL
smily_headphones1.gif
. I hope you enjoy them.I decided to go with these over the Elear. I think they will pair well with my HP8.

If you like T90, you'll probably like them. TH900 has the best bass ever, no other headphone comes close. It has strident treble but if you're ok with T90's treble, TH900's treble won't bother you.

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #194 of 1,501

If you like T90, you'll probably like them. TH900 has the best bass ever, no other headphone comes close. It has strident treble but if you're ok with T90's treble, TH900's treble won't bother you.

I read some reviews of the TH900 from people who also like the T90's so I figured I wouldn't find them too bright. I thought the Elear might be a little too polite up top for me, especially with the amp I have. I really like the T90's with certain types of music but I wanted something with more impact for rock and I wanted to step up a level above the T90's. Hopefully the TH900's fill that bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back