Fostex TH900 MkII
Aug 13, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #136 of 1,501
  Alright, so they're basically open back headphones. I was really hoping that number would be closer to 5. Thanks for the info.

Hi, I know I'm replying to an old message, but the sounds leakage to outside isn't that bad IMO. I had to get closed back headphones because my HD 650s were driving fiancee crazy, so I went with TH900s and she hasn't complained since. The sound leakage from outside to inside the headphones is pretty significant though, but if you're listening to music it won't matter.

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #137 of 1,501
I just ordered a TH900 Mk2. The Fostex balanced cable is $300. If I read correctly any cable that works on HD600 will fit the Mk2 sockets?

Thanks

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #138 of 1,501
  If I read correctly any cable that works on HD600 will fit the Mk2 sockets?

Well, not exactly. Seems it depends on the specifics of the connector. I have an older balanced HD650 cable with Cardas connectors that works fine. But I purchased a cable from Moon Audio that had slightly different connectors that kept falling out. Drew took the cable back and has since stopped selling them for the Mk2.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #139 of 1,501
  Well, not exactly. Seems it depends on the specifics of the connector. I have an older balanced HD650 cable with Cardas connectors that works fine. But I purchased a cable from Moon Audio that had slightly different connectors that kept falling out. Drew took the cable back and has since stopped selling them for the Mk2.

Thanks for the info. Guess it's still early and will need to confirm with the cable maker. $300 for Fostex isn't that much more than custom. I'll be pairing with a Lyr 2 amp for now anyway.

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #140 of 1,501

Moon Audio still sells cables for the Mk2. I ordered a balanced cable for mine with an AK plug about 10 days ago. The shipped it the next morning. Fits fine and sounds great.

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #141 of 1,501
Thanks for the update—glad to hear that Moon Audio finally has this solved!

Just curious, does the connector look like and HD-650 connector (small spade-shaped), or does it look like the stock connector (wide flange that blends into the earpiece)?

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #143 of 1,501
  Not sure what an HD-650 connector looks like. The Moon Audio cable connectors look like this:

Thanks for the details. If this is priced anything like the other Dragon cables for full sized headphones, the Foxtex OEM one is competitively priced and 100% compatible. One a good note, Adorama is offering the Mk2 for a special $999 price for a limited time:

http://slickdeals.net/f/9110363-fostex-th-900-mk2-1-5-tesla-stereo-headphones-w-detachable-cable-999-99-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

You have to use the link in the slick deal page. I'm sure most of you know Adorama is an authorized retailer and totally legit shop that many professionals use.

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #145 of 1,501

Thanks for the details. If this is priced anything like the other Dragon cables for full sized headphones, the Foxtex OEM one is competitively priced and 100% compatible. One a good note, Adorama is offering the Mk2 for a special $999 price for a limited time:

http://slickdeals.net/f/9110363-fostex-th-900-mk2-1-5-tesla-stereo-headphones-w-detachable-cable-999-99-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

You have to use the link in the slick deal page. I'm sure most of you know Adorama is an authorized retailer and totally legit shop that many professionals usTha

Thanks for the info on the Adorama deal.  I've been waiting for the right moment to pull the trigger on the TH900 Mk2.  This is the best price I've seen, so I just placed my order!

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #147 of 1,501

I am thinking about getting a Moon Audio Silver Dragon for my MK2, do you have pictures of it attached to one?

I bought one last month and i returned it ,, it has the same connector in the picture ,, 
it will stick out ,, not like the original ,, but it fit will and will not fall ..

For me i didn't like the sound of it .. it lost all the sound stage ,, and the bass amplified tooo much ..

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #148 of 1,501
  I bought one last month and i returned it ,, it has the same connector in the picture ,, 
it will stick out ,, not like the original ,, but it fit will and will not fall ..

For me i didn't like the sound of it .. it lost all the sound stage ,, and the bass amplified tooo much ..

Thank you. Seems like the Fostex replacements are the best bet then which I do not have an issue with.. I just tend to like variety.

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #150 of 1,501
Hi, I know I'm replying to an old message, but the sounds leakage to outside isn't that bad IMO. I had to get closed back headphones because my HD 650s were driving fiancee crazy, so I went with TH900s and she hasn't complained since. The sound leakage from outside to inside the headphones is pretty significant though, but if you're listening to music it won't matter.

Best solution in that case is turning the volume way up so you can't hear her complain anymore. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back