Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #5,581 of 18,765
Why not?  If I haven't heard either - this would in fact put me on the fence - no?

Besides - anything can and will be compared - This is head fi.  

If you go back to my original point, it was not that they can't be compared, it's that they aren't really in competition, being so different from each other. This isn't really a controversial point; sometimes I think people just argue for argument's sake :rolleyes:

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #5,582 of 18,765
If you go back to my original point, it was not that they can't be compared, it's that they aren't really in competition, being so different from each other. This isn't really a controversial point; sometimes I think people just argue for argument's sake
rolleyes.gif

cool.gif

I guess people would be me..  "People" don't want to argue.  "People" just want to understand what other "people" are posting.  

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #5,583 of 18,765
"People" meaning all of the Interwebs. Many thrive off of anonymous arguments. But I respect asking for clarification of points, just not in an argumentative fashion. We can disagree and still get along, peace & <3 brotha :wink:

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #5,585 of 18,765
Is anyone here in Orange County and willing to let me try out their TH900's? I've been wanting to upgrade my HD650's for a while, but all the reviews of summit fi gear are so polarized that I can't tell which headphones I'd like based on the reviews alone.

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #5,586 of 18,765
  Is anyone here in Orange County and willing to let me try out their TH900's? I've been wanting to upgrade my HD650's for a while, but all the reviews of summit fi gear are so polarized that I can't tell which headphones I'd like based on the reviews alone.

I might make the SD meet in a few weeks. It's about 85% that I will be able to attend. It depends on my school schedule. If I do make it out, I'll make sure to bring my TH-900. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #5,587 of 18,765

Just got them of Ebay for $1299,-, using the "make an offer" option at one of the seller's.

That's a pretty good price.

Was it a US-based seller or international?

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #5,590 of 18,765
Hi guys...I have been playing with mine for days...just curious and wondering for some points whether anyone of you have a similar experience to mine...or it's just me.

I am really impressed by how good this headphone performing the sound stage and the sound image, considering is a closed back but it does perform like an open one or perhaps better. The spaciousness is really feel-able like more to out-the-head presentation.

The HIGHS - is actually I have no problem with it. But I do feel sometimes the highs is not really suitable for this kind of "yummy or meaty" presentation. I feel like highs is a bit too slim. Also, it can be too sharp at a time. I mean it's sharper than my T1 (but not always). -- I wish the highs it should be thicker and more tamed, considering the overall presentation is a lot warmer compared to T1/HD800.

The MIDS - is very good actually. The imaging is very precise and easily to be captured inside the head. But I think a bit too laidback as well. The upper mids also can be a bit too sharp on some songs. And considering the bass is plenty and a lot punching going on...I wish the mids is more forward and fatter. Listening to vocal jazz, I need to turn the volume a bit up from my regular listening in order to get the same enjoyment on the vocal, but then the bass could be too much already for my taste.

The Bass - for me, is very plenty. Good impact, BUT it does the PUNCH too. Sometimes they can punch really hard. This I do not like. Because to me, this kind of punching bass somewhat it does makes it less accurate. And I did ab-ing this with my T1 and to me personally, the T1 is more (or maybe a lot) accurate than TH900 especially in this bass section. The bass of TH900 is not always wildly punch me. But it does gives me a lot frustation sometimes during my listening. But I do believe many people will love this kind of bass. And speaking of the bass impact and solidness...I think I might prefer the way Audeze is performing the bass. It is more tight, better foundation, even though it does also have that same punching feel.

Any other aspects like texture, resolution, transparancy..I think TH900 is VERY excellent. It just that I always think that this phone is more to a FUN sounding rather than for my serious listening (personnaly I still prefer my ath3000anv and my T1 to my song preference).

Oh..and the build quality and fitting comfort of this TH900, I think is the BEST.

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #5,591 of 18,765
Hi guys...I have been playing with mine for days...just curious and wondering for some points whether anyone of you have a similar experience to mine...or it's just me.

I am really impressed by how good this headphone performing the sound stage and the sound image, considering is a closed back but it does perform like an open one or perhaps better. The spaciousness is really feel-able like more to out-the-head presentation.

The HIGHS - is actually I have no problem with it. But I do feel sometimes the highs is not really suitable for this kind of "yummy or meaty" presentation. I feel like highs is a bit too slim. Also, it can be too sharp at a time. I mean it's sharper than my T1 (but not always). -- I wish the highs it should be thicker and more tamed, considering the overall presentation is a lot warmer compared to T1/HD800.

The MIDS - is very good actually. The imaging is very precise and easily to be captured inside the head. But I think a bit too laidback as well. The upper mids also can be a bit too sharp on some songs. And considering the bass is plenty and a lot punching going on...I wish the mids is more forward and fatter. Listening to vocal jazz, I need to turn the volume a bit up from my regular listening in order to get the same enjoyment on the vocal, but then the bass could be too much already for my taste.

The Bass - for me, is very plenty. Good impact, BUT it does the PUNCH too. Sometimes they can punch really hard. This I do not like. Because to me, this kind of punching bass somewhat it does makes it less accurate. And I did ab-ing this with my T1 and to me personally, the T1 is more (or maybe a lot) accurate than TH900 especially in this bass section. The bass of TH900 is not always wildly punch me. But it does gives me a lot frustation sometimes during my listening. But I do believe many people will love this kind of bass. And speaking of the bass impact and solidness...I think I might prefer the way Audeze is performing the bass. It is more tight, better foundation, even though it does also have that same punching feel.

Any other aspects like texture, resolution, transparancy..I think TH900 is VERY excellent. It just that I always think that this phone is more to a FUN sounding rather than for my serious listening (personnaly I still prefer my ath3000anv and my T1 to my song preference).

Oh..and the build quality and fitting comfort of this TH900, I think is the BEST.

My experiences parallel yours. I own the Audez'es and the 900. The TH 900 is more fun and lively to listen to. The LCD 2.2 is very very close behind. I get lost in the details when I use the LCD-3. My only genre is rock. I believe that for that genre the above HPs are probably end-game. I have not heard the Alpha Dogs or any other HP (I also own the Hifimans (except the HE 6)). 
Most of the time, I do want to be immersed in the music without paying any excruciating detail to the instruments so I have no issues with the way the TH 900 presents my music. Add to that the comfort and the overall product is, IMHO, the best closed HP. 

But then, I am awaiting my Audez'e LCD-XC so we will see .......

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #5,593 of 18,765
  My experiences parallel yours. I own the Audez'es and the 900. The TH 900 is more fun and lively to listen to. The LCD 2.2 is very very close behind. I get lost in the details when I use the LCD-3. My only genre is rock. I believe that for that genre the above HPs are probably end-game. I have not heard the Alpha Dogs or any other HP (I also own the Hifimans (except the HE 6)). 
Most of the time, I do want to be immersed in the music without paying any excruciating detail to the instruments so I have no issues with the way the TH 900 presents my music. Add to that the comfort and the overall product is, IMHO, the best closed HP. 

But then, I am awaiting my Audez'e LCD-XC so we will see .......

I believe you do have the same experience to mine. I also think that this HP is very good (if not THE BEST) for rock genres. When i play the rock song, the highs is very suitable to go along, also the mids is becoming not too tiring for rock genres (maybe because of that laid-back character), and the bass is really roaring good for this genres.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #5,594 of 18,765

I think that depend on the amplification, for example i have Yulong D100 MKII as DAC and M-Stage as the amp (opa627) , both are oo warm so i am sure this affected the Treble of my TH600 yet i still find the highs fun due the M-stage's opamp, try a brighter dac/amp setup and i hope you get sparkling and fun to listen to highs, back when i used the Yulong amp section the treble became smooth and too boring for my taste which made me believe in the amplification even more. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back