Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #5,551 of 18,776
The proper way to wear them is with the headband pointing down like a stethoscope.

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #5,554 of 18,776
This long cable on the TH900 is great. Nothing like laying in bed in the dark and listening to some tunes 
darthsmile.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #5,555 of 18,776
  Just got my TH900 recabled for SE or balanced use. A big thanks to Girls Generation whose pictures prompted me to follow suit. Using it balanced now through the Gungnir/Mjolinir stack and let me tell y'all..........you already know it but what the heck ..... deep, punchy bass with great slam as required, nice mids (slightly less forward to my ears compared to the LCD-3) and beautiful treble. On the Mojo, I just had to turn the volume pot slightly above 9 o'clock to get all the detail I need to hear. Playing Alan Parsons, I heard instruments that I had not heard with my other cans, even the LCD 2.2.

Very very early days but I think I have  found my end-game in dynamic, closed-end HPs. 

Hi,

Can you share what/where you did this. If possible please share some pics. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #5,556 of 18,776
Thanks for the responses gathered about how best to wear the TH-900. Low and centered seems good for imaging and also more comfortable as headphone sits looser on my head (3 notches on each side). Soundstage size is also quite improved, but still lightly closed feeling at times.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #5,557 of 18,776
Finally got a real listening session with my TH-900 with my ECP L-2, and I have to say I was worried about the comments about recessed midrange, but I don't hear any of it.  And I am surprised how I enjoy the bass weight of the phones because I usually am not a bass focused listener.  I usually prefer vocal and midrange magic.  I like how they are nimble and speedy without sacrificing weight.

I bought these as a curiosity just to compare to my W3000ANV and thought I would quickly sell them, but it's going to take a little bit to find out the winner.  The W3000ANV's ethereal vocals will be hard to beat but it wasn't a quick KO like I had thought going into the battle.

I do notice that I turn up the volume a little bit more with the TH-900 than the W3000ANV's and that's probably related to the discussion a couple pages back.

The TH-900 are also infinitely more comfortable than the W3000ANVs, and come close to the SR-007 as the most comfortable headphones I've worn.

still eyeing the th900 so keep the comparisons coming. how does the treble compare? that's one of the w3000's strengths IMO.

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #5,559 of 18,776
Maybe research a little bit more. This ain't daycare.

Why is it hard to share a link to a re-cabler? Could be done in the same amount of time as writing this response.

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #5,560 of 18,776
Hi,

Can you share what/where you did this. If possible please share some pics. 

Sorry for the late response; I am traveling and will be back over the weekend. I will send some pictures then. Moon Audio in Cary NC did the recabling. They have the two ends of the cable from the HP ending in an adapter. I then have two separate cables (one SE and the other balanced) connecting (one at a time) to this adapter and the other end connecting to my amp (either Mjolnir for balanced or Soloist for SE).
Hope this helps.

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #5,563 of 18,776
Sorry for the late response; I am traveling and will be back over the weekend. I will send some pictures then. Moon Audio in Cary NC did the recabling. They have the two ends of the cable from the HP ending in an adapter. I then have two separate cables (one SE and the other balanced) connecting (one at a time) to this adapter and the other end connecting to my amp (either Mjolnir for balanced or Soloist for SE).
Hope this helps.

Thanks Ganesh.

Maybe research a little bit more. This ain't daycare.

Thanks GG.

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #5,564 of 18,776
There is a search button or even yet just use the forum tool to read one particular member's posts within a thread. Whilst recabling TH900 may be a relative novelty, take the amount of "customs v universal IEM" threads. Touch silly, as if that question has never been asked before(!)

Been allowing limited private demo of my TH900 with select heads. Smiling faces. Your HD800, Audeze, HiFiMan, Beyers of this world more often than not get one thing mentioned

Users who are viewing this thread

Back