Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #4,966 of 18,765
Quote:
If you could pick one track and one track only you think shows off all the characteristics you like of your TH900, what would that one track be?

For me, Artist: Infected Mushroom, Album: Converting Vegetarians Track: Avratz

Great topic...

For me, artist: Portico Quartet album: Isla song: Isla.

Shows off the TH-900's speed, naturalness, separation of instruments, and bass quality.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #4,967 of 18,765
Quote:

Great topic...

For me, artist: Portico Quartet album: Isla song: Isla.

Shows off the TH-900's speed, naturalness, separation of instruments, and bass quality.

Yep I like it very much
gs1000.gif

How sweet is the clarinet, and the steel drums on this album is really nice too, I'm now a fan....

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #4,968 of 18,765
Quote:
If you could pick one track and one track only you think shows off all the characteristics you like of your TH900, what would that one track be?

For me, Artist: Infected Mushroom, Album: Converting Vegetarians Track: Avratz

I like the cut of your Jib!
This one is pretty obscure (apologies), Artist: Geinoh Yamashirogumi  Album: Ecophony Rinne Track: Primordial Germination.
This is from the second album of a trilogy of which the Album for Akira (a Japanese animated film) was the first.  If you have heard the Akira OST then you will know what you are in for.  This track is amazing with the TH900's.  It starts with a strike of a giant taiko drum (ō-daiko), which the TH900's deliver with deep and impactful bass, but enough control to capture the more subtle vibrations of the drum skin that follow.  It then moves into what can best be described as performance art music (where the musicians move around a central mic); at this point the TH900's capture the subtle details of the pressure of their socked footsteps on the wooden stage.  The final section involves gamelan instruments, taiko and choral elements fused together, which is a trademark of the Akira OST.

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #4,969 of 18,765
This one is pretty obscure (apologies), Artist: Geinoh Yamashirogumi  Album: Ecophony Rinne Track: Primordial Germination.
This is from the second album of a trilogy of which the Album for Akira (a Japanese animated film) was the first.  If you have heard the Akira OST then you will know what you are in for.  This track is amazing with the TH900's.  It starts with a strike of a giant taiko drum (ō-daiko), which the TH900's deliver with deep and impactful bass, but enough control to capture the more subtle vibrations of the drum skin that follow.  It then moves into what can best be described as performance art music (where the musicians move around a central mic); at this point the TH900's capture the subtle details of the pressure of their socked footsteps on the wooden stage.  The final section involves gamelan instruments, taiko and choral elements fused together, which is a trademark of the Akira OST.

What a great recommendation! :)

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #4,971 of 18,765
Quote:

Nice pick! I need to find that soundtrack now that you mention it.

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #4,975 of 18,765
Hi guys! Needing advice from TH-900 owners in this thread. 

I'm waffling over the purchase of the TH-900. I can get them for a decent price, but I am on the fence. If I get them, they will be the most expensive splurge I've done in this hobby, but I don't know if it will be worth it. 

I currently have the LCD 2.2, T1, and HE-500. I love the ortho sound and I love the T1 for certain genres. I have the Lyr and the Soloist and PanAm to drive them (and the TH-900 if I get them). More than anything, I'm looking for an excuse to pull the trigger. 
biggrin.gif
 What is holding me back is the thought of maybe keeping the cash and saving extra for an LCD 3. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #4,976 of 18,765
sell LCD-2 and HE-500 and get LCD-3, buy TH-900 as well 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #4,977 of 18,765
Quote:
Hi guys! Needing advice from TH-900 owners in this thread. 

I'm waffling over the purchase of the TH-900. I can get them for a decent price, but I am on the fence. If I get them, they will be the most expensive splurge I've done in this hobby, but I don't know if it will be worth it. 

I currently have the LCD 2.2, T1, and HE-500. I love the ortho sound and I love the T1 for certain genres. I have the Lyr and the Soloist and PanAm to drive them (and the TH-900 if I get them). More than anything, I'm looking for an excuse to pull the trigger. 
biggrin.gif
 What is holding me back is the thought of maybe keeping the cash and saving extra for an LCD 3. 

Check out this thread for some more opinions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/670975/audeze-lcd-3-vs-fostex-th-900/165#post_9686343

Lots of good info from some very experienced members. Might make the decision easier. GL

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #4,978 of 18,765
Thanks Greed. Yeah, I've read the thread in its entirety. From what I read, the guys much prefer the LCD 3, but also recommend keeping the TH-900. 
darthsmile.gif

Would I like to own both? Absolutely! I guess, it comes down to - do I get the TH-900 now, save up and get the LCD3 much-much later, or skip the TH-900 and just keep squirrelling away to save up for the LCD3s. Damn first world problems. hehehehe.  

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #4,979 of 18,765
Quote:
sell LCD-2 and HE-500 and get LCD-3, buy TH-900 as well 
tongue_smile.gif

Nooooo! I can't! lol!

I've thought of selling them but every time I think I've made up my mind, I would do a 180 after listening to them again. I've sold off lesser phones, but it's going to be real hard to part with these. 

Perhaps I can sell of the LCD 2 when I have the LCD 3 - but I won't know until I get it. And maybe I can let go of the T1 if the TH-900 beats it out for head time. Ayayayay. Decisions, decisions. 
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #4,980 of 18,765
Quote:

Nooooo! I can't! lol!

I've thought of selling them but every time I think I've made up my mind, I would do a 180 after listening to them again. I've sold off lesser phones, but it's going to be real hard to part with these. 

Perhaps I can sell of the LCD 2 when I have the LCD 3 - but I won't know until I get it. And maybe I can let go of the T1 if the TH-900 beats it out for head time. Ayayayay. Decisions, decisions. 
confused_face(1).gif

no lol. the T1 should stay. its way different.

the TH-900 is basically a closed bass monster version of the T1 (more bass, not as much detail and clarity)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back