Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #4,831 of 18,765
Quote:
The sparkling treble of the TH900 is something really amazing. If someone founds the mid is reccessed or rolled off, try to pair it with better amp, I highly recommend the ZDSE or even the ZD, the Violectric V200 is pretty good though, but never being put on the same league as the Zana (ofc!).

Yeah tubes really help with mid-recess. It always adds body and nice warmth to help mask any kind of mid-recess. I know this because the Lyr with the right tubes helped out the mid-suck-out situation with my D2000 back in the day. It was almost tolerable with the right tubes. I can only imagine what a summit-fi amp like the Zana could do for the TH900. I'm sure the combo is just killer.

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #4,834 of 18,765
Quote:
thank you! But I still find the W3000 and ED8 to be better looking cans: (I love shooting photos of my headphones)

Beautiful photos, you should post them on the headphone picture thread.

Quote:
Don't like the ED8 at all (not your photo, but their design), while the W3000 does like very nice. Your TH-900 photos were really good, that red and especially its structure are quite hard to capture.

One of the few people that I've seen don't like the design of the ED8. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #4,835 of 18,765
thank you! But I still find the W3000 and ED8 to be better looking cans.

+1. I think the W3000 is the most beautiful headphone ever made!

Jul 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #4,836 of 18,765
Quote:

Just too much structure and lots of competing details for my taste. I prefer the simpler design of the TH-900 with their single feature to take note of (the cups that are of beautiful detail but a whole thing, not an aggregation of design ideas as the ED8 are to me) and like the TH-600 for their simple look as well. Hard to explain... but I strive for simplicity, so japanese tradition is a good match.

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #4,837 of 18,765
Quote:

I have to fess up to being another ED8 design non-fanboy. I would add a certain few specifics to qualify the statement ... with me it was (1) their design was a bad shape for my ears, (2) their aesthetic design is drop-dead gorgeous, but their sound ain't up to the same standard, and (3) their design had a number of mini drawbacks/quirks: mine had right side imbalance (something I read seems to be a common quality issue), the cables are incredibly cheap looking next to the rest of the components, and there's the cheap tacky box.

Apart from that, they do have some good points ... the fact I was able to return them and get my money back. Hahahaha. Sorry, I sound bitter ... and I guess I am as I really wanted to like the ED8s more and felt badly let down when I put a bit of thought into the ED8 cost/benefit analysis.

I think the TH-900 stands in stark contrast to the Ultrasone, proving that you can have both great design, and great sound, both of which come together so customers feel the price is, ahem, we always want to pay less, but at least we feel there is a general sense that the headphone is worth the money ... in every criteria, not just asthetics.

#EndRant

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #4,838 of 18,765
Quote:
The sparkling treble of the TH900 is something really amazing. If someone founds the mid is reccessed or rolled off, try to pair it with better amp, I highly recommend the ZDSE or even the ZD, the Violectric V200 is pretty good though, but never being put on the same league as the Zana (ofc!).

Chiming in on this one. My TH900 mids haven't struck me as recessed. The first night I had them (last Friday) I expected to be a little disappointed in the mids but didn't find them wanting. Also the comment on the highs doesn't apply for me. The highs are one of the elements that I love about these cans. Hell, I love everything about them. I did try them very briefly out of the HP output on my Invicta and wasn't thrilled. Out of the Stratus they are magical. I haven't even put the HD-800's or LCD-3's on my head all week. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #4,839 of 18,765
Quote:
Chiming in on this one. My TH900 mids haven't struck me as recessed. The first night I had them (last Friday) I expected to be a little disappointed in the mids but didn't find them wanting. Also the comment on the highs doesn't apply for me. The highs are one of the elements that I love about these cans. Hell, I love everything about them. I did try them very briefly out of the HP output on my Invicta and wasn't thrilled. Out of the Stratus they are magical. I haven't even put the HD-800's or LCD-3's on my head all week. 

Fascinating! Would you have a view of them relative to the HD800s? Thanks

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #4,840 of 18,765
I have read some really positive reviews of the GS-X mk2 pairing. Strangely enough it is not a warm amp so I am guessing it is the source they were using? Irrespective, I really want to do a shoot-out with the ZDSE (with balanced input) and the GS-X mk2.

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #4,841 of 18,765
I can offer my view; to me the HD800 has the best midrange, in terms of natural timbre, presence and soundstage. I have never heard better headphones for jazz. The TH900's midrange OTOH is it's weakpoint, but it certainly has deeper & punchier bass. HD800 wins in terms of bass 'quality' though. I would concede that the TH900 is perhaps a better all rounder. I view the HD800 as a precision instrument. Mercedez vs Mustang?

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #4,842 of 18,765
Quote:
I can offer my view; to me the HD800 has the best midrange, in terms of natural timbre, presence and soundstage. I have never heard better headphones for jazz. The TH900's midrange OTOH is it's weakpoint, but it certainly has deeper & punchier bass. HD800 wins in terms of bass 'quality' though. I would concede that the TH900 is perhaps a better all rounder. I view the HD800 as a precision instrument. Mercedez vs Mustang?

Mercedes vs. Mustang = HD 600 vs. D2000

Bentley vs. Porsche = HD 700 vs. D7000

this is more like Maybach 62 vs. Lambo Aventador Roadster

and the Grado RS1 vintage are like a Ferrari 250 GTO 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back