Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #4,306 of 18,761
Quote:
I read through most of this thread and found that people generally agree that these headphones are good for EDM, trance, rock etc. Others agree that the TH900 does well with all genres of music.

Anyone a fan of Emile Sande/Adele type female vocals? I used to have the LCD-2 and they were wonderful with female vocals. I need a closed back headphone. Wondering if the TH900 will suit the music i listen to, or if I should wait for the LCD Closed back.

I would say it depends on what is more important to you. Liquid, lush, thick mids like what the Audeze's give you. Or crystal clear, highly resolving mids much like the TH-900. The TH-900 are great for all genres IMO, not the best, but very good with everything. But since I have the luxury of having the LCD-3 as well as the TH-900, I use the Audeze's for the heavy female vocalists I like. The TH-900 still have a bit of a sense of dialed back mids. They are still "recessed" like the D7K, but less so and more intimate. On the other hand, Audeze's house sound is always to have forward mids, with the vocals being upfront. It really is subjective, and what you approach you like better. Personally, I love the way Audeze does their mids and vocals. 

May 12, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #4,307 of 18,761
Quote:
I read through most of this thread and found that people generally agree that these headphones are good for EDM, trance, rock etc. Others agree that the TH900 does well with all genres of music.

Anyone a fan of Emile Sande/Adele type female vocals? I used to have the LCD-2 and they were wonderful with female vocals. I need a closed back headphone. Wondering if the TH900 will suit the music i listen to, or if I should wait for the LCD Closed back.

I sometimes listen to acoustic and Adele is one of my most favorite female vocalist. Tbh, TH900 will do it just fine with acoustic and what music focuses on vocal. I do agree that the LCD-2 has better lush mid, and the TH900 is a little recessed but the gap is not that huge to make the LCD-2 an absolute winner in this point of view, imho.

If you're into other kind of fast pace like rock, EDM, trance, TH900 is what you want, but if you wanted a closed phone for vocal experiences, you should wait for the LCD closed back phone.

May 12, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #4,308 of 18,761
Quote:
Are you loving electronic music with the TH900s? I most definitely am, and other headphones don't come very close in that regard except for my other dynamic Grado HP1000 (believe it or not, its a 20 year old headphone).

EDM is all I really listen to. I've been listening to the new Anjunabeats Vol. 10 everyday this week actually. I really like the LCD 3 for edm even though its a bit laidback, but the TH900 might be the best I've heard. I really want to try an HD800 one day though. I actually think I'm gonna have to sell my denons I havent used them in 5 or 6 months.

May 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #4,310 of 18,761
Quote:
And what about Rock? Does the reportedly "recessed mid-range" of the TH-900 impair its rendering of Rock? 

What kind of rock you mentioned?
If it is Classic/Slow rock (Scorpions, Manowar...) I'd say, the lush mid of Audeze, and its great bass is best for this genre.
If it is Metal, like Melodic Death (I'm a fan of CoB), TH900 rocks, recessed or lush mid doesnt matter for death metal. The TH900 is still great if not the best for Rock fast pace.

May 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #4,312 of 18,761
[size=medium]The Wuss’s First Impressions of the TH900[/size]

[size=medium]Well…  After a few days of burn in, the TH900 really has come into its own.[/size]
[size=medium]While I can’t say too much about its “fresh out of the box” sound, as I had a head cold at the time, I am quickly becoming an ardent admirer of the fully burned-in or “psycho-acoustically adjusted” TH900.[/size]

[size=medium]The midrange has become more developed and natural.  The imagining is fantastic – probably the best I’ve heard.  And, yes, I’m including the HD800 in that assessment.[/size]
[size=medium]Listening to Sonny Rollins, for example, I can hear his saxophone moving around during the soloing.  The angle, the distance, and the “directness” of his sound changing slightly from moment to moment.  Something other headphones miss to a large degree.  Yes, even the HD800 does not convey this much “inner” imaging.[/size]

[size=medium]This is stereo imaging done right, to my ears.  Where two carefully matched drivers simply respond to the signal variations being fed to them, allowing one’s highly-developed hearing system to do the interpretation.  No “editorializing” by the headphone.  Just the truth.[/size]
[size=medium]And that’s how I prefer it now.  (I used to be quite the opposite – loving the sound of crossfeed and DSP with headphones.)[/size]

[size=medium]Sound signature-wise, it’s still a bit of a v-curve.  So there’s still an abundance of treble and just a bit of extra lower frequencies.  But, the upper octaves are incredibly smooth.  Cymbals sound more like “stick on metal” as they should, rather than the “sshhh” produced by so many less capable transducers.[/size]
[size=medium]And the bass is something you won’t hear me complain about.  [/size]

[size=medium]The “recessed” midrange, in fact, seems to occur in the lower midrange.  So it isn’t always apparent, actually.  Sometimes placing male singers, for example, a bit further back in the stage than female singers…  As it should be (let’s hear it for the ladies).  
wink.gif
[/size]

[size=medium]So, it’s a bit early to “call it”, but I’m thinking this is the best closed headphone I’ve heard.  [/size]
[size=medium]And, in my opinion, it comes pretty close to the performance of the LCD-3 and SR-009 tier of headphones.[/size]
[size=medium]I say pretty close.  I probably should say really close.[/size]

o2smile.gif

[size=medium]Cheers, [/size]
[size=medium]The Wuss[/size]

May 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #4,313 of 18,761
Quote:
[size=medium]The Wuss’s First Impressions of the TH900[/size]

[size=medium]Well…  After a few days of burn in, the TH900 really has come into its own.[/size]
[size=medium]While I can’t say too much about its “fresh out of the box” sound, as I had a head cold at the time, I am quickly becoming an ardent admirer of the fully burned-in or “psycho-acoustically adjusted” TH900.[/size]

[size=medium]The midrange has become more developed and natural.  The imagining is fantastic – probably the best I’ve heard.  And, yes, I’m including the HD800 in that assessment.[/size]
[size=medium]Listening to Sonny Rollins, for example, I can hear his saxophone moving around during the soloing.  The angle, the distance, and the “directness” of his sound changing slightly from moment to moment.  Something other headphones miss to a large degree.  Yes, even the HD800 does not convey this much “inner” imaging.[/size]

[size=medium]This is stereo imaging done right, to my ears.  Where two carefully matched drivers simply respond to the signal variations being fed to them, allowing one’s highly-developed hearing system to do the interpretation.  No “editorializing” by the headphone.  Just the truth.[/size]
[size=medium]And that’s how I prefer it now.  (I used to be quite the opposite – loving the sound of crossfeed and DSP with headphones.)[/size]

[size=medium]Sound signature-wise, it’s still a bit of a v-curve.  So there’s still an abundance of treble and just a bit of extra lower frequencies.  But, the upper octaves are incredibly smooth.  Cymbals sound more like “stick on metal” as they should, rather than the “sshhh” produced by so many less capable transducers.[/size]
[size=medium]And the bass is something you won’t hear me complain about.  [/size]

[size=medium]The “recessed” midrange, in fact, seems to occur in the lower midrange.  So it isn’t always apparent, actually.  Sometimes placing male singers, for example, a bit further back in the stage than female singers…  As it should be (let’s hear it for the ladies).  
wink.gif
[/size]

[size=medium]So, it’s a bit early to “call it”, but I’m thinking this is the best closed headphone I’ve heard.  [/size]
[size=medium]And, in my opinion, it comes pretty close to the performance of the LCD-3 and SR-009 tier of headphones.[/size]
[size=medium]I say pretty close.  I probably should say really close.[/size]

o2smile.gif

[size=medium]Cheers, [/size]
[size=medium]The Wuss[/size]

Very nice impressions, I'm glad you are coming around to them. They are truly great headphones regardless of category, and they are my favorite headphone right now (on a bit of a electronica swing). They bass like I have never heard it, so powerful without the bloom of the D7Ks or any other closed-back headphones I have heard. The bass is very linear and that is the way I like it. I would agree these are very close to the performance of the LCD-3, it may even be better if it was open-back... (hint: to all you modders that are crazy enough to make these open).

May 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #4,314 of 18,761
Has anyone tried different pads on the their TH-900? I'm not sure if it is just me, but I found the Denon AH-DXXX series more comfortable but a decent margin. Might have been the material difference, or maybe the angle of the pads, whatever it is I'm wondering if anyone has tried any aftermarket pads.

May 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #4,315 of 18,761
So, I gather that any suggestion that the TH-900 may be a "repackaged" Denon AH-D7000 because the driver, superficially, resembles that of the Denon is wholly unfounded? The TH-900 is definitely a leap forward? 

May 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #4,316 of 18,761
Quote:
So, I gather that any suggestion that the TH-900 may be a "repackaged" Denon AH-D7000 because the driver, superficially, resembles that of the Denon is wholly unfounded? The TH-900 is definitely a leap forward? 

Most definitely. Drivers are different, housing material is different, the design is somewhat the same physically, but technically it is almost a whole other headphone. It is a step forward in front of the D7K and leaps ahead of the D2K and D5K. Remember that Fostex made the driver for the D7K, so "repackaging" a similar product, would be bad for business and I believe people would know. IMO, the TH-900 takes an already "fun" sound signature of the D7K and adds what audiophiles strive for - high resolution, imaging, soundstage, and refinement. 

May 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #4,317 of 18,761
Quote:
Has anyone tried different pads on the their TH-900? I'm not sure if it is just me, but I found the Denon AH-DXXX series more comfortable but a decent margin. Might have been the material difference, or maybe the angle of the pads, whatever it is I'm wondering if anyone has tried any aftermarket pads.

Would be interested in knowing if someone's used the D7000 pads or possibly some SR-007/009 pads (they might be the similar sizes?) on the TH900s?

May 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #4,318 of 18,761
Quote:

Definitely a leap forward.

i know i have better gear now than when i owned the D7000....  but, the leap between D7000 and TH900 is as big as that between the HD650 and HD800.  in my opinion.

it's the difference between a headphone that annoyed me quite a bit but had potential (D7000), and a headphone that exudes qualities so great that one is willing to overlook the minor deficiencies (TH900).

the Fostex is not only a great closed phone, i'd rank it very very highly amongst all headphones - open, closed, dynamic, ortho, etc.

May 13, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #4,320 of 18,761
Quote:
Has anyone tried different pads on the their TH-900? I'm not sure if it is just me, but I found the Denon AH-DXXX series more comfortable by a decent margin. Might have been the material difference, or maybe the angle of the pads, whatever it is I'm wondering if anyone has tried any aftermarket pads.

Here..  here..

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back