Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 27, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #4,066 of 18,765
There are many advantages to having closed headphones. Even tough many of the TH-900 owners use their sets at home, that doesn't mean there isn't noise at home. Many users have roommates, wives, kids, dogs/cats, etc. that create noise and aren't appreciative of sound leakage, especially if one tends to listen in a room where there are others. Sonically, closed headphones can have stronger bass. That is why many headphone companies design a "fun" sounding headphone opt to design a closed headphone. Also, regarding IEMs, many users don't like things inside their ear, thus CIEMS/IEMS being out of the question.

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #4,067 of 18,765
Quote:
This is TH900 related I promise...

I have demoed Beyer T90's open, then ordered TH600's expecting isolation from a closed headphone...

(I was considering demoing the TH900's as well)

But given the lack of Isolation...  listening in a busy environment s-bucks or hotel lobby "other noises" jack around with sound so whats the point with closed phones?  They dampen/isolate...a little...

but why not go with super high end IEM's $1,100ish for busy/noisy environments and then a really high end open headphone for the other uses?

I guess after demoing the closed TH600's I have to ask the TH900 group who cares if its closed back?  why not go with open cans?  especially if your going to listen at home anyway....

or is closed cans really not for the listener... they are more for the person NEXT THE the listener?

Thanks everyone!

I think no one who is into high-end headphones considers closed-back headphones just for their isolation or sound leakage. On the contrary, the design brings things to the table that open-backs lack. That includes the sub-bass rumble that headphones like HD800, SR009, don't have and a strong impact. Also closed-backs have their own sound stage presentations that some might like.

I think you're a bit confused since Fostex did not create the TH900 with the intention of noise isolation, for that you can get a multitude of other headphones in the <$500 range from companies like Harmon, Sony and ... Beats.

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #4,068 of 18,765
Quote:
I think no one who is into high-end headphones considers closed-back headphones just for their isolation or sound leakage. On the contrary, the design brings things to the table that open-backs lack. That includes the sub-bass rumble that headphones like HD800, SR009, don't have and a strong impact. Also closed-backs have their own sound stage presentations that some might like.

I think you're a bit confused since Fostex did not create the TH900 with the intention of noise isolation, for that you can get a multitude of other headphones in the <$500 range from companies like Harmon, Sony and ... Beats.

The nr 1 reason for me buying the TH900 is the fact that they are closed and don't leak (even though they do leak some sound). I just wanted the best all round closed-back cans that were available.

Enter TH900.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #4,070 of 18,765
Quote:
I happen to own the LCD-3s and think they are the better headphone. But I can't comment on EDM as I don't listen to it, just rock, metal, jazz and classical and with those genres; however I do prefer the LCD-3s. That said, the TH-900s aren't too far back and are the best closed headphones I've heard and find them very satisfying.

I agree with Peter on this.  IMO the LCD-3s are head and shoulders above the LCD-2s in every way.  Only heads above the TH-900s and only in some Jazz and all Classical.  The LCD-2s got sold really fast once the LCD-3 and the TH-900s arrived.

Would like to listen to the LCD-CB to see how they compare.  (LCD-CB = Closed Backs).

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #4,071 of 18,765
Quote:

I agree with Peter on this.  IMO the LCD-3s are head and shoulders above the LCD-2s in every way.  Only heads above the TH-900s and only in some Jazz and all Classical.  The LCD-2s got sold really fast once the LCD-3 and the TH-900s arrived.

Would like to listen to the LCD-CB to see how they compare.  (LCD-CB = Closed Backs).

popcorn.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #4,072 of 18,765
Quote:
Thx all for your replies to my question. It is much appreciated! So to sum up:

The th900 is brighter
The th900 has more subbass rumble less midbass bloom
The th900 has less midrange bloom

If this is the case, the th900 may not be for me. Because I'm looking for LCD-2 plus slightly more midbass emphasis for electronic music. Any recommendations? (Sorry for being off topic) I actually considered the D7ks but I was really worried about the treble being too hot. Because I find the d5ks slightly fatiguing.

Currently expecting TH900 (bought blind or deaf if you want). Already have LCD-2 r1, LCD-3 and D7k. If you're worried about harsh highs with D7k, you might want to consider J$ Real Leather Pads for them, as they will tone the highs down and place even more emphasis on the mid bass.

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #4,073 of 18,765
Quote:

Currently expecting TH900 (bought blind or deaf if you want). Already have LCD-2 r1, LCD-3 and D7k. If you're worried about harsh highs with D7k, you might want to consider J$ Real Leather Pads for them, as they will tone the highs down and place even more emphasis on the mid bass.

J$ are out of business, Mark at Lawton Audio sells Angle Pads which are pretty much the same.
Also I am not sure that everyone would agree on described effect, for me on D5K it was the opposite but it was a bit treble shy to begin with so that was a welcome effect I was actually looking for, but from what I've read on D7K it can get overly bright.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #4,074 of 18,765
Quote:
J$ are out of business, Mark at Lawton Audio sells Angle Pads which are pretty much the same.
Also I am not sure that everyone would agree on described effect, for me on D5K it was the opposite but it was a bit treble shy to begin with so that was a welcome effect I was actually looking for, but from what I've read on D7K it can get overly bright.

Oh, I didn't know that.

I own two pairs of D7k and used Grace Design m903 when comparing them – it has two headphone outputs so I was able to swap between them and those were the effects I heard. Might be my ears sitting upside down though, lol. The pads went off as the bass became too prominent.

Here are a couple of shots from the session :wink:

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #4,075 of 18,765
As new at all this... I was simply under the impression that choosing closed cans was an intentional choice for sound isolation in a noisy environment... So the music sounded better without the noise coming in....

But... Noise comes in anyway... Lessening the audible experience....

So to clarify my question... What's the point of closed cans as a specific category of can?

Why not just pick whatever sounds best to you and if it happens to be closed... Then great... If not... Then that's great too...

What drives people with their th900 to buy them? The sound only? Or we're there other considerations I may be missing....

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #4,076 of 18,765
Quote:
As new at all this... I was simply under the impression that choosing closed cans was an intentional choice for sound isolation in a noisy environment... So the music sounded better without the noise coming in....

But... Noise comes in anyway... Lessening the audible experience....

So to clarify my question... What's the point of closed cans as a specific category of can?

Why not just pick whatever sounds best to you and if it happens to be closed... Then great... If not... Then that's great too...

What drives people with their th900 to buy them? The sound only? Or we're there other considerations I may be missing....

I guess you read none of the posts that answer your question earlier. 

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #4,080 of 18,765
Quote:
Would the Burson soloist sl be adequate to power these beasts to their full potential?

TH900 are super efficient and could be plugged straight into your smartphone with an adapter. That is not to say they won't benefit from a good amp, but it comes to show that the power requirements for these cans are low.

In layman's terms. TH900:

1. Impedance @ 1kHz: 25 Ohms
    The lower the impedance the more efficient.
  2. Sensitivity: 100 dB
    The higher the sensitivity the more efficient.

Compare that to the notoriously inefficient HiFiMAN HE-6

1. Impedance @ 1kHz: 50 Ohms
  2. Sensitivity: 83.5 dB

It is not so much the impedance of hifiman that makes them so inefficient, but rather their low sensitivity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back