Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 28, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #3,871 of 18,761
Quote:
Fair enough. They just got here. Initial impressions? 

These are bad ass. The second I put them on I knew I was keeping them. The Bass is just crazy good. There's TONS of it and it's DEEEP and musical. I still have a lot of listening to do, but so far, I'm very impressed just as I knew I would be.

Negatives? The cups are held on by one screw. The Cables are hard wired. Definitely not something I'd use to workout with. These are seriously nice headphones. 

I was prepared to be a little underwhelmed considering the price, but these are just amazing. I am very relieved so far. I was hoping these would be my end game, and my initial impression is that they are.

What kind of music do you listen to?  Do you partake of the occasional Dubstep by any chance?  If so, I have one particular track that sounds amazing on the TH-900s - flexes some of that sub bass muscle.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #3,873 of 18,761
Not to derail the thread but this sounds amazing on the TH-900s.  Trust me and give it a chance, even if it's not your cup of tea, there is a beastly sub bass around the 1:06 mark...  If you want more bass-oriented tracks let me know and I'll shoot them to you in PM. :)

http://mog.com/m/track/60311467?ci=40000  < - Subvert's "Crazy":

And yes I know it's not exactly dubstep. :)

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #3,874 of 18,761
Ahhhh... You guys DO love me!  
biggrin.gif

Update: These headphones are putting things in my music that weren't there before... How'd they do that?

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #3,875 of 18,761
Quote:
Ahhhh... You guys DO love me!  
biggrin.gif

Update: These headphones are putting things in my music that weren't there before... How'd they do that? 
wink.gif

Congrats on a great pair of hps.  Enjoy them!!

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #3,877 of 18,761
Quote:
Thanks Mortalcoil and thank-you for the song choice. I'm watching Idol with my wife right now (we're bonding) so I haven't had a chance to hear them. Got one more hour to go.... Then it's me, those songs, my Amp, and the Fostex. 

wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #3,879 of 18,761
Quote:
Barey, how does Centipede - Knife Party make you feel?

And I wouldn't want to work out with $1.5k headphones anyways... Can't imagine having my LCD3s on in the gym.

I've got that one in my Library! I love that song. You have good taste. I'll toss it on and see what the Fostex can do with it.    
smily_headphones1.gif

Update: I've heard that song at least a dozen times and it's never sounded like that. These are very revealing headphones. It would seem there are lots of hidden little gems in my music that I've been missing. Timestretch by Basnectar is like a different song.  
smile.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #3,880 of 18,761
Really guys....

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #3,881 of 18,761
Who said that the TH900 can not be used in a transportable system ?  
wink_face.gif

With my RWA Bellina PRO DAC/AMP, which is Battery operated, I have built a "transportable audio system". I had my TH900 rewired Balanced to take full advantage of the balanced output of the amp. Plus I got a tube upgrade to the MiniWatt Dario E188CC.

I could notice a real improvement in background silence when operated on Battery, plus since the battery operation is really convenient to carry the system from room to room, or even outside,... I have made a case to carry the Bellina + AC Charger + headphone + my RWAK100 used as source (with optical cable).

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #3,883 of 18,761
Quote:
Who said that the TH900 can not be used in a transportable system ?  
wink_face.gif

With my RWA Bellina PRO DAC/AMP, which is Battery operated, I have built a "transportable audio system". I had my TH900 rewired Balanced to take full advantage of the balanced output of the amp. Plus I got a tube upgrade to the MiniWatt Dario E188CC.

I could notice a real improvement in background silence when operated on Battery, plus since the battery operation is really convenient to carry the system from room to room, or even outside,... I have made a case to carry the Bellina + AC Charger + headphone + my RWAK100 used as source (with optical cable).

Nice transportable TH-900 rig you got there! I've been meaning to ask someone that has actually reterminated their TH-900, have you heard any audible difference yet in the sound vs SE? I've been playing with the idea to get mine recabled balanced, but I'm still unsure if it will make a big enough difference to drop the cash for the service. I could also do it myself, but I'm still worried I'll ruin the value of the cans if I do so.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #3,884 of 18,761
Holy crap, was just listening to Skater Boy - Avril Lavigne (going through older CDs) and wow - that subbass that is occasionally present in the first verse really got me by surprise. All part of the experience.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #3,885 of 18,761
Quote:
Holy crap, was just listening to Skater Boy - Avril Lavigne (going through older CDs) and wow - that subbass that is occasionally present in the first verse really got me by surprise. All part of the experience.

The TH900 especially helps with the sub-bass too!

On another note, it would appear the portable RWA rig contest thing I threw about a year ago as a joke actually became true!
How incredibly awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back