Naughty anime?

redface.gif
size]
size]
...wife comes in...
size]

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #3,707 of 18,765
Quote:
If electronic music is your main concern, I think the TH900 is one of the best cans for that genre. In my opinion, the TH900 squash the LCD-2 in the electronic genre enjoyability because there are many advantages: sound stage, bass quantity + quality, treble that the LCD-2 will never approach. The TH900 also gives you a sense of a sub-bass "rumble", something that all open-based cans cannot reproduce because of the inherent design. I believe that makes electronic music even more enjoyable.

+1. I had LCD-2 and 3 for quite a while, but they always lacked "kick/something" with electronic. Even with +6dB bass eq etc which I commonly used. Yeah the subbass was fantastic, but overall TH900 always ended up on my head. I never eq anymore since they are pretty perfectly balanced to me, gotta love the pressure from closed phones.

edit: added missing quote..

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #3,708 of 18,765
Would you recommend the TH-900 together with a HD 800? Would they "complement" each other? Is the TH-900 harder to amp than the HD 800?

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #3,710 of 18,765
Quote:
Would you recommend the TH-900 together with a HD 800? Would they "complement" each other? Is the TH-900 harder to amp than the HD 800?

I think those two would complement each other well, because they are very opposite sounding headphones. The TH900 is colored yet euphonic, and works better with a wider range of genres including mainstream pop, rock, and electronica. The HD800 on the other hand is neutral and clinical, perfect for classic and jazz.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #3,711 of 18,765
Thank you both. 
beerchug.gif

One last question: How would the soundstage compare to the LCD-2, D7000 and HD 800. Is it closer towards the latter or LCD-2?

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #3,715 of 18,765
Love his review on the th900..  Was surprise that burson, Pam am and Fostex HP-A8 didn't cut it for him.. so bad that he wasn't interested in reviewing it till he brought in the big guns ...that bakoons amp to show what th900 is capable of..

i wonder what his take with zana duex se.

interesting stuff.. Absolutely love this review.

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #3,717 of 18,765
Quote:
The Fostex review is up at Headfonia.
http://www.headfonia.com/fostex-th900-and-th600/

I like his review, but I'm curious about his description of the TH900 having a black background:

headfonia Quote:
[size=12.800000190734863px]But the HD800 doesn’t have the bass, nor the black background of the TH900, nor the clean grain free sound of the TH900. The TH900′s background is extremely black and clean, something which I think is not rivaled by any headphone I’ve heard.[/size]

headfonia Quote:
[size=12.800000190734863px]The Audez’e LCD-2 has a black background and a clean sound, likewise the Stax SR-007, but nothing like the TH900′s. Perhaps the SR-009 would come close, but black background was definitely not on the 009′s feature list when I auditioned it with the BHSE and WooAudio WA5 (+WEE). So this is definitely the TH900′s strong point.[/size]

I don't think I've read any other review or impression mention the black background before with regards to the TH900.  This description is usually seen in Amp or DAC reviews, as it describes the ability of various source equipment of presenting a clean signal without the presence of hiss or extraneous noise.  To read that particular headphones, by themselves, can exhibit a black background more than others is news to me?

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #3,718 of 18,765
Quote:

I like his review, but I'm curious about his description of the TH900 having a black background:

I don't think I've read any other review or impression mention the black background before with regards to the TH900.  This description is usually seen in Amp or DAC reviews, as it describes the ability of various source equipment of presenting a clean signal without the presence of hiss or extraneous noise.  To read that particular headphones, by themselves, can exhibit a black background more than others is news to me?

Agreed, the term black background usually applies to DAC's or more commonly, amps. Considering the TH900's high sensitivity, one would find it counterintuitive to say that the TH900 has a blacker background than the likes of LCD-2. However, I owned and compared both the TH900 and LCD-2, and I can see where Mike is coming from in his statement. I think it's a characteristic of the TH900 that is often overlooked by its other strengths. The TH900 indeed sounds very clean and free of grain compared to most other flagship headphones.

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #3,719 of 18,765
Quote:

I know exactly what that reviewer was trying to say. Most headphones don't contrast active sound vs silence very well. It's usually only the especially high-quality ones that are able to really highlight the relationship of silence versus music. For me this aspect is most evident with ambient electronica - as it sounds way better on headphones that are capable of such signal purity & clarity. The sample set of headphones that can portray an ambient-electronica layer that comes from nowhere and disappears back into nothingness, along with a sense of that nothingness, is really small. Literally most headphones I've heard are incapable of that kind of sound and for me neither the Audeze or TH900 really do it either (so I disagree with the reviewer). The set of headphones that I'd call capable of it are this few: Sony Qualia 010, Stax SR-007 (and SR-009), Sennheiser HD800.

Edit: to correct myself from a previous version of this post, I call this aspect of a headphone its "blackness" if that makes any sense. Most headphones don't have deep, abyss-level "black" silence levels where you can really hear the effect of a lack of signal. Once you move up to something like the HD800, the shortcomings of all other posers become obvious.
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #3,720 of 18,765
Quote:

I know exactly what that reviewer was trying to say. Most headphones don't contrast active sound vs silence very well. It's usually only the especially high-quality ones that are able to really highlight the relationship of silence versus music. For me this aspect is most evident with ambient electronica - as it sounds way better on headphones that are capable of such signal purity & clarity. The sample set of headphones that can portray an ambient-electronica layer that comes from nowhere and disappears back into nothingness, along with a sense of that nothingness, is really small. Literally most headphones I've heard are incapable of that kind of sound and for me neither the Audeze or TH900 really do it either (so I disagree with the reviewer). The set of headphones that I'd call capable of it are this few: Sony Qualia 010, Stax SR-007 (and SR-009), Sennheiser HD800.

Edit: to correct myself from a previous version of this post, I call this aspect of a headphone its "blackness" if that makes any sense. Most headphones don't have deep, abyss-level "black" silence levels where you can really hear the effect of a lack of signal. Once you move up to something like the HD800, the shortcomings of all other posers become obvious.
wink.gif

Maybe the new 'Abyss' headphones solve this problem fpr $5000?
wink.gif

Anyway, a black background is up for interpretation by the listeners themselves. From what you are describing here, especially the part when sound appears from nowhere, is more a feature of how dynamic the headphone is, is it not? From the headphones I own, the Stax SR-009 achieves this perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back