Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #3,676 of 18,776
It has been a while since I owned the D7000s, but I found them to be more musical than the LCD-2s which I currently own.  Musical meaning you tend to find yourself tapping your feet, rocking your head, and just enjoying the music.  The LCD-2s in comparison and from my aging memory still allows you to enjoy the music and you will have some fantastic bass in those orthos, some of the best available, and the sound is extremely dark and intimate.  The best example I have is the LCD-2s is like your favorite artist performing a live show for you in a small club vs a huge arena or hall.  The sound is small, but detailed, and warm.  It can be a very pleasurable sound.

However, in terms of over exaggerating some of the signatures of the sound, the D7000 is the culprit.  It will present the music to you in such a way that it is far more emphasized than what the artist intended and that in turn can be seen as fun and musical.

The LCD-2s will provide more accurate bass in comparison, from what I recall, and bring the sound closer to you rather than further away as would the D7000s.  I would say the LCD-2, to some, myself included, would be considered less "fun" but that is because they are a little more accurate in how the sound is meant to sound.  I'm sure some would argue with me or perhaps be able to explain it better.

I have not heard the HD650 but do plan on purchasing those in the future.  The TH-900s keep that fantastic bass of the LCD-2s, get rid of the bass bloat found in the D7000s, and add clarity to the D7000's signature.  They clean up the "exaggeration" quite a bit and sound far more refined while still keeping a great deal of the signature that people love in the D7000 - that part that is musical and fun.  Some people would argue that by doing that, the TH-900 becomes less fun, but I say the TH-900 becomes more talented and in control of its sound signature vs. the D7000s.

I'd say the D7000 is a young athlete who's got a great deal of talent, loads of potential, but lacks the experience to fully put it to use.  The TH-900 is that athlete several years later;  still extremely talented, much more experienced, and far more capable of using his skills for their intended purpose.

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #3,677 of 18,776
The Lyr blew a few members sensitive headphones in the beginning, but Schiit claims they've long fixed the problem.

If nothing else the Lyr will probably great background noise with the TH900. It did with my D7000 the one time I used it.

Quote:

It's too much power.  The Lyr is designed for very powerful headphones (orthos) and anything that doesn't require a lot of amplification can be damaged by it.  It states it on the product listing:

"Make no mistake: even though Lyr is the same size as Asgard and Valhalla, it’s one of the most powerful headphone amplifiers you can buy. We will not be responsible if you blow up your headphones with it!"

A lot of stuff on Schiit's website is humorous but in this regard they are being very serious.

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #3,678 of 18,776
Okay, I finally get it. After a couple of weeks at my desk with them, I'm a convert. I definitely have to be in the mood and most of the time I'm applying EQ to correct the imbalances, but they've grown on me.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #3,679 of 18,776
They ARE pretty darn seductive cans! 
devil_face.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #3,680 of 18,776
I'm looking for a closed-back headphones for the bedroom. 

Usage will be 80% music, 20% movies/gaming. AMP/DAC will be WA7. How well do the TH900 perform for watching movies/gaming? I don't game much but I do like to watch movies in the bedroom at times. I searched head-fi and there were a lot of suggestions on closed headphones that cost >$300. I'm just wondering if I should get two headphones (one for music, one for movies/gaming), or will the TH900 excel in both categories?

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #3,681 of 18,776
Quote:

Usage will be 80% music, 20% movies/gaming. AMP/DAC will be WA7. How well do the TH900 perform for watching movies/gaming? I don't game much but I do like to watch movies in the bedroom at times. I searched head-fi and there were a lot of suggestions on closed headphones that cost >$300. I'm just wondering if I should get two headphones (one for music/headphones), or will the TH900 excel in both categories?

Thanks!

If they're in your budget and you like the sound signature, I don't see any problems. Comfort on the TH-900s is great, very nice for long term listening. Have watched movies with them on and forgotten the headphones were on my head.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #3,682 of 18,776
Quote:
If they're in your budget and you like the sound signature, I don't see any problems. Comfort on the TH-900s is great, very nice for long term listening. Have watched movies with them on and forgotten the headphones were on my head.

I can concur, the TH-900 are perfect headphones for a bedside rig. They are comfortable, have some noise isolation, they do leak but are decent at that as well. The sound is perfect for movies and gaming IMO. Nice soundstage for gaming, excellent bass for movies, and they sound great with almost any genre of music. If you are the type of person that likes to just relax and enjoy what you are listening to in bed, then the TH-900 will be great for your needs.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #3,684 of 18,776
Quote:

Usage will be 80% music, 20% movies/gaming. AMP/DAC will be WA7. How well do the TH900 perform for watching movies/gaming? I don't game much but I do like to watch movies in the bedroom at times. I searched head-fi and there were a lot of suggestions on closed headphones that cost >$300. I'm just wondering if I should get two headphones (one for music, one for movies/gaming), or will the TH900 excel in both categories?

Thanks!

(I think you meant <$300, but whatever...)
My favorite phones for non-music applications are Grados : RS1 with flat pads and GS1000 series as long as you don't need closed phones.
They are about as comfortable as wearing no headphones at all, certainly better-feeling than earbuds, and they have an open spacious articulate
sound with a pretty deep and tight bass and have lots of good imaging, allowing me to locate images in a wide field.
For music or gaming or youtube, I go for the best comfort with a high-class sound, and nothing does this combo better than high-end Grados for me.
And they are superb for speaking voices in dialog or games. I understand every word easily.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #3,685 of 18,776
I love my TH900s and they are seductive and hard to stop listening to, but I still like the LCD3 bass better-- it seems to be more like a granite foundation, very firm and solid but not in your face at all.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #3,686 of 18,776
Quote:

I'd say the D7000 is a young athlete who's got a great deal of talent, loads of potential, but lacks the experience to fully put it to use.  The TH-900 is that athlete several years later;  still extremely talented, much more experienced, and far more capable of using his skills for their intended purpose.

And LCD2 is an actual musician? 
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #3,688 of 18,776
It has been a while since I owned the D7000s, but I found them to be more musical than the LCD-2s which I currently own.  Musical meaning you tend to find yourself tapping your feet, rocking your head, and just enjoying the music.  The LCD-2s in comparison and from my aging memory still allows you to enjoy the music and you will have some fantastic bass in those orthos, some of the best available, and the sound is extremely dark and intimate.  The best example I have is the LCD-2s is like your favorite artist performing a live show for you in a small club vs a huge arena or hall.  The sound is small, but detailed, and warm.  It can be a very pleasurable sound.

However, in terms of over exaggerating some of the signatures of the sound, the D7000 is the culprit.  It will present the music to you in such a way that it is far more emphasized than what the artist intended and that in turn can be seen as fun and musical.

The LCD-2s will provide more accurate bass in comparison, from what I recall, and bring the sound closer to you rather than further away as would the D7000s.  I would say the LCD-2, to some, myself included, would be considered less "fun" but that is because they are a little more accurate in how the sound is meant to sound.  I'm sure some would argue with me or perhaps be able to explain it better.

I have not heard the HD650 but do plan on purchasing those in the future.  The TH-900s keep that fantastic bass of the LCD-2s, get rid of the bass bloat found in the D7000s, and add clarity to the D7000's signature.  They clean up the "exaggeration" quite a bit and sound far more refined while still keeping a great deal of the signature that people love in the D7000 - that part that is musical and fun.  Some people would argue that by doing that, the TH-900 becomes less fun, but I say the TH-900 becomes more talented and in control of its sound signature vs. the D7000s.

But do the th-900 have enough bass for electronic. I don't want to get it and find it lacking in midbass quantity becos that wld make my electronic songs sound like crap...

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #3,689 of 18,776
Quote:
I'm baffled as to why your wouldn't plug the TH-900s into the Lyr.  Can you explain the problem to me.  Thanks

Please re-read my entire post...did you miss the part were my Lyr BLEW my Ed.8LE headphones? 
size]
 Low impedance/highly efficient headphones and the Lyr do not mix IME and I wouldn't take the chance with $2000 headphones (again 
size]
).

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #3,690 of 18,776
Quote:
But do the th-900 have enough bass for electronic. I don't want to get it and find it lacking in midbass quantity becos that wld make my electronic songs sound like crap...

You seem like you are trying to talk yourself out of buying these. If you have the money buy them, if you don't don't. If you have the money, buy them from some where that accepts returns (i.e. TTVJ, Headroom). Then you are covered, try them out for yourself, if you don't like them return them. No harm, no foul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back