Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 27, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #18,316 of 18,761
Th610 and burr brown dac or tube amp.
Really don't want to spend more for a dap/amp. I already shelled out 909 from my cascade purely for the look even though I found the latter much more fun. Do you think the th610 pads alone will help?
Can also put something between your ear and the driver, like a felt insert into the pad.
What felt insert can you recommend?
Don't know what the most effective is but the Dekoni Sheepskin on the TH900 PW and E-MU Teak reduced the treble considerably so I'd assume it's the same for the TH900.
This I can try this weekend. Do you notice any worse aspect of sound quality with it?

Thank you all, would love some more recommendations as well. The look is perfect, just want to tame down the peakiness without worsening other spectrum really noticably.

May 27, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #18,317 of 18,761
Good luck, I’d suggest enjoy them till you can’t, switch hp. Then go back and go wow, repeat

May 27, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #18,318 of 18,761
If you don't mind grabbing a couple sets of pads, in addition to one of those recommend above, my current faves are the Yaxi alcantara pads. They've got a decent graph and description of how they compare to the stock ones on their site. I've already said I'll do my own comparison impressions for @Bret Halford when I find the time, but in the mean time I find the Yaxi site's write up to be quite good. And they're not kidding about the comfort, it's a delicate caress for the ears.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #18,319 of 18,761
This I can try this weekend. Do you notice any worse aspect of sound quality with it?
Looser bass (probably due to increase), more present mids on the 900, maybe Denon 5000 levels of bass vs mids, less treble vs bass than 5000, (obviously) overall cleaner sounding bass than 5k despite the increase. Soundstage didn't change too much (only on the Teak but its pads have smaller openings vs the 900/909, oval instead of circular). Personally I prefer the stock sound but only because I can deal with the treble amount of both the Teak and 900 PW (on non bright albums/tracks) but if you like a warmer sound it could work out.

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #18,320 of 18,761
Good luck, I’d suggest enjoy them till you can’t, switch hp. Then go back and go wow, repeat
Ideally I wanted to keep the 909 and sell the Cascade but initial impression, they sound very different from both of my cans so I'd probably keep them all and switch as you suggest. The issue is only the treble on 909 makes some music very hard for me to enjoy, borderline piercing, hissing riddance, unenjoyable in certain songs(Murder Mitten, Знай - Dimash) and now I'm looking for the some solution under 200eur to remedy that to acceptable level.
If you don't mind grabbing a couple sets of pads, in addition to one of those recommend above, my current faves are the Yaxi alcantara pads. They've got a decent graph and description of how they compare to the stock ones on their site. I've already said I'll do my own comparison impressions for @Bret Halford when I find the time, but in the mean time I find the Yaxi site's write up to be quite good. And they're not kidding about the comfort, it's a delicate caress for the ears.
I'm looking forward to the run down as well. Btw, do you have the dekoni sheep skin? I would love some quick comparison with the Yaxi if you can find the time
Looser bass (probably due to increase), more present mids on the 900, maybe Denon 5000 levels of bass vs mids, less treble vs bass than 5000, (obviously) overall cleaner sounding bass than 5k despite the increase. Soundstage didn't change too much (only on the Teak but its pads have smaller openings vs the 900/909, oval instead of circular). Personally I prefer the stock sound but only because I can deal with the treble amount of both the Teak and 900 PW (on non bright albums/tracks) but if you like a warmer sound it could work out.
Thanks, this sound promising. I couldn't try them today bc the store doesn't have it at the place, gotta wait for the delivery next week.

May 28, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #18,321 of 18,761
Th610 and burr brown dac or tube amp.
It's impossible for me to get the 610 pads. Would you recommend some cheap dac from ifi with bur brown chip? hip dac 2, zen dac, zen dac v2, zen air?

May 28, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #18,322 of 18,761
It's impossible for me to get the 610 pads. Would you recommend some cheap dac from ifi with bur brown chip? hip dac 2, zen dac, zen dac v2, zen air?
Ifi black is good

May 29, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #18,323 of 18,761
May 29, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #18,325 of 18,761
Yep, only reading the last 1221 pages is gonna reveal the truth :wink:

May 29, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #18,326 of 18,761
Has anyone compared the sound of TH900s in different colors?
Many have , my Cowons great EQ gives me all those different sounds.

May 29, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #18,327 of 18,761
Has anyone compared the sound of TH900s in different colors?
Red Mk1+Mk2 are the most v-shaped, blue/green/white are all less so to different degrees. TH909 is a fairly different tuning. Black and purple - not sure.
Personally I've heard the Pearl White and it sounds fairly agreeable on the RNHP + TT2 Hugo combo. Not sure if I'd want even more of a v-shape. Besides, the E-MU Teak sounds pretty impressive already (its tuning is more versatile for different genres - though for Electronic at the very least, I wouldn't hesitate a second to recommend the 900 over anything else I've heard).

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #18,330 of 18,761
Red, green, black all have the same tuning.

White and blue have the same "anniversary" tuning that's a little different from stock. I believe the purples will use anniversary tuning as well - sent off an email to confirm.

Yeah, purple has the same tuning as the blue and white. A little less v-shaped. Sound is more full, with less impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back