Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 10, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #16,892 of 18,760
Hey guys! I am a proud new owner of the th-900's mk2s. Now, I love these headphones for everything- the accuracy, detail, imaging, soundstage- but they just don't have the "thump" in the bass that I want. Everyone goes on and on about these headphones being "bass cannons"- I just don't feel any bass. Granted I did just get these headphones yesterday, but even my dt 1990's have more of the subwoofer bass feeling then these. Even my M50s have more of that thumpy bass feeling. Am I doing something wrong?

I run these off of a thx 789, and topping E30 dac along with amazon music flac files.

Buy a set of Dekoni X00 pads and Dekoni attenuation rings. It'll bring in the soundstage a bit but it'll give you that bass you're looking for. You can also buy Ebony or Purple Heart cups from EMU and slap them on there as well if you want even more bass. The TH headphones don't have much of a clamp to the headband so the seal around your head tends to leak sound.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #16,894 of 18,760
Hey guys! I am a proud new owner of the th-900's mk2s. Now, I love these headphones for everything- the accuracy, detail, imaging, soundstage- but they just don't have the "thump" in the bass that I want. Everyone goes on and on about these headphones being "bass cannons"- I just don't feel any bass. Granted I did just get these headphones yesterday, but even my dt 1990's have more of the subwoofer bass feeling then these. Even my M50s have more of that thumpy bass feeling. Am I doing something wrong?

I run these off of a thx 789, and topping E30 dac along with amazon music flac files.

The TH 900 is an audiophile headphone. They are capable of producing a lot of bass if you EQ the bass up, which you will have to do to get the bass you're looking for. However, as mentioned, being an audiophile headphone, they are attempting to reproduce music of all genres correctly - not specifically bass music or hip hop. The TH 900 are to my ears too bright and analytical for hip hop for instance, but excellent for EDM, classical, metal and so on.

Either way, for most people, EQ is a must with the TH 900. Its a phone that does a lot of things very, very well - and they are certaintly a very unique entry into the high end audio market. But they are far from perfect, with the largest issue being the treble. Don't be discouraged though! Learn how to EQ correctly, have a "bass cannon" setting you can switch to for the tracks where you want them to shake your head off, and then a "hifi" setting where you just slightly turn down the treble a bit, and you got yourself a fantastic pair of headphone. It doesn't get more airy in dynamics IMO :D

Oh and another thing.. If you can get your hands on the old Denon series (D2000/D5000/D7000), these are much more bloomy and loose in the bass, making for the massaging bass cannon feeling you're after. Fostex made these headphones for Denon, but in recent years the Fostex phones are much more audiophile in their sound, and so the bass have been tightened up.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #16,897 of 18,760
Can’t say I heard of that head band replacement. . I find I don’t need to eq th900, find it fine as is, the trebel never got to me, it was the bass that was a bit much on certain bass heavy tracks frankly, Lawton mod fixed that

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #16,899 of 18,760

I have a Topping D30 and Schitt Heresy the Fostex slam on them. However, I do EQ all my headphones and they take the EQ nicely. I also have the Dekoni pads on mine. Try to do a little EQ and report back. I found them lacking without it (my ears love bass). They don't lack nearly as bad as other headphones. The Fostex definitely have more bass than most other headphones.

As others who say this is an "audiophile" headphone it certainly is not. I love mine but I got a new love (Hifiman Arya) and have put mine up for sale. If anyone you know who wants an mk1 I have it listed in the for sale section. I'll bump it up today.

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #16,900 of 18,760
I have a Topping D30 and Schitt Heresy the Fostex slam on them. However, I do EQ all my headphones and they take the EQ nicely. I also have the Dekoni pads on mine. Try to do a little EQ and report back. I found them lacking without it (my ears love bass). They don't lack nearly as bad as other headphones. The Fostex definitely have more bass than most other headphones.

As others who say this is an "audiophile" headphone it certainly is not. I love mine but I got a new love (Hifiman Arya) and have put mine up for sale. If anyone you know who wants an mk1 I have it listed in the for sale section. I'll bump it up today.

If it isn't an audiophile headphone, then what is it? Professional mixing and mastering? Low end consumer headphone? I think you're mixing "audiophile" with "neutral" :)

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #16,901 of 18,760
The TH 900 is an audiophile headphone. They are capable of producing a lot of bass if you EQ the bass up, which you will have to do to get the bass you're looking for. However, as mentioned, being an audiophile headphone, they are attempting to reproduce music of all genres correctly - not specifically bass music or hip hop. The TH 900 are to my ears too bright and analytical for hip hop for instance, but excellent for EDM, classical, metal and so on.

Either way, for most people, EQ is a must with the TH 900. Its a phone that does a lot of things very, very well - and they are certaintly a very unique entry into the high end audio market. But they are far from perfect, with the largest issue being the treble. Don't be discouraged though! Learn how to EQ correctly, have a "bass cannon" setting you can switch to for the tracks where you want them to shake your head off, and then a "hifi" setting where you just slightly turn down the treble a bit, and you got yourself a fantastic pair of headphone. It doesn't get more airy in dynamics IMO :D

Oh and another thing.. If you can get your hands on the old Denon series (D2000/D5000/D7000), these are much more bloomy and loose in the bass, making for the massaging bass cannon feeling you're after. Fostex made these headphones for Denon, but in recent years the Fostex phones are much more audiophile in their sound, and so the bass have been tightened up.
Thanks for the detailed response! I did try eq; I used sonarworks and tried the added bass presets. It does make them more tolerable to listen to for longer periods with slightly more bass but the thunpy feeling I was looking for is still lacking a bit.

I ordered the dekoni attenuation rings from Amazon, and I'll look for those demon pads. Do you feel these get better with burn in?

Jun 10, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #16,902 of 18,760
pad burn in aint a thing

Jun 10, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #16,904 of 18,760
If it isn't an audiophile headphone, then what is it? Professional mixing and mastering? Low end consumer headphone? I think you're mixing "audiophile" with "neutral" :)

I agree, TH900MK2 is an "audiophile" headphone, just not a very neutral one. It has quite an extreme V-shape, with a huge dip between 1kHz and 4kHz.
This was fixed by Takstar in their two attempts to produce a cheaper TH900: Pro 82 v2 (most neutral headphone I've ever seen) and GM200 ( Pro 82 with almost TH900 levels of bass):
10381148.png

I wouldn't recommend to boost TH900's bass using EQ - raising it will make the dip in the mids even more extreme.

The best way to improve TH900MK2's sound, is to use the TH610 pads on it.
Here is my comparison between different pads, when comparing to TH900MK2 with TH610 pads:
Dekoni hybrid - bass is not as perfect, doesn't hit as hard and as deep.
Dekoni Fenestrated - better than hybrid, but still not as good as 610
Dekoni TH900 Sheepskin - very similar to 610 pads, better than 900 originals. bass rumble in "Falling" by HAIM is slightly worse than 610 (it's hole is smaller than TH900 pads). Other than the bass, possibly sounds better.
Ali pads (generic pads compatible with TH900) - bass is tighter, less decay, slightly less clarity in the mids
HD9999 thick pads - bass is as great as 610, sounds a bit darker and less clarity in the mids
900 original pads - bass rumble in "Falling" isn't good at all, doesn't sound as coherent as 610 overall, slightly airier presentation with more recessed mids

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #16,905 of 18,760

Okay in terms of quality of materials and cost, sure it's an audiophile headphone. It's sound signature is not. I own these still and love the headphone (great for EDM music) but to put them in the league of an Arya, and Audeze, or even say the Focal Clear, they don't match up. I've listened to a lot of headphones and I can tell you the Arya I picked up a few months back have basically put my Fostex into a box. A little EQ and the planar, despite being open, has one hell of a slam. I'd dare to say it rivals the Fostex without the V signature or the closed headphone design.

I've had the Denon D7000 and now the Fostex so trust me, I do like them. I'm not trying to piss on them. Audiophile should be a headphone that can cover a lot of genres but I find the Fostex is at home with bass heavy sound tracks and not much else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back