Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 23, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #16,876 of 18,761
wider stage is the primary without the messy bass thump that i heard on some tracks for hip hop and electronic. Its been years so frankly i don't remember what's what anymore in my systems. its all synergy and i do recommend the lawton level 3 but also can understand those that feel if it aint broke why bother. I use hpa8 with my la900 for the bass extension or sub bass feel. It sounds like a marshall stack but its nicely balanced with all the V the th900 can bring.
Thanks for your impressions, i'm definitive tempted to try a cup mod, probably level 2 sooner or later. Its just a bit pricey, but yeah that's a part of the hobby. :wink:

What kind of wood did you chose for the cups?

Level 3 has "only" an additional cable, in case the cable was already upgraded, level 2 sounds like the way to go.

Apr 23, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #16,877 of 18,761
Thanks for your impressions, i'm definitive tempted to try a cup mod, probably level 2 sooner or later. Its just a bit pricey, but yeah that's a part of the hobby. :wink:

What kind of wood did you chose for the cups?

Level 3 has "only" an additional cable, in case the cable was already upgraded, level 2 sounds like the way to go.
But there are many density of wood to choose. The harder the wood the faster the bass.

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #16,878 of 18,761
I remember some music styles that I chose lead to the wood type I chose, Hawaii koa. Don’t remember the number I ended up with. But frankly I also loved the esthetic. The cable upgrade is in my wheel house, but can see why One could omit and save doe.

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #16,879 of 18,761
But there are many density of wood to choose. The harder the wood the faster the bass.
From your description i would then choose the hardest wood available.

Unfortunately they do not mention the density or hardness explicit.

They have 5 categories of cup types, but it isn't clear for me which type of woods are harder and which are softer. And in a category they have several grades which reflect the price level, maybe how rare the wood is. Quite confusing.

From the tone wheel description on their site, i'm would tend to type 4, electronia, clear crisp, resolving but parts of type 5 would also fit : dry, clean, focused...apart from the classic music.
Not really sure about this.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #16,880 of 18,761
I remember some music styles that I chose lead to the wood type I chose, Hawaii koa. Don’t remember the number I ended up with. But frankly I also loved the esthetic. The cable upgrade is in my wheel house, but can see why One could omit and save doe.

That's maybe the most straight option, to just chose the preferred music style and in this category number then just design and price.

In general i'm most interested in a tighter and more precise bass...

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #16,882 of 18,761
how does the fostex compare to adh 9200

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #16,883 of 18,761
Has anybody tried the Dekoni Hybrid earpads?
I'm curious how they sound compared to the stock pads.

I changed my pads to the Dekoni Sheepskin pads (standard sheepskin, not the fenestrated), they are made of a really nice material, but i could hear the slight drop of the bass which you can also see in the graph here (compared to the stock pads) :

Dekoni pads Fostex TH900

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #16,884 of 18,761
is there a service manual for these?
How do you replace the leather headband cover?
I guess if it's difficult I'll send it to fostex jp...

I don’t have a service manual nor have ever replaced the headband cover.

However if an explode view and a parts list helps, you can find these in the comments of this German thread:

Explode view and parts list

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #16,885 of 18,761
There’s how to videos on replacing th900 pads

May 1, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #16,887 of 18,761
Hey guys, been having issues with the cord recently (Sound cutting in and out when the cord is moved), and wanted to know what cable to buy to replace the current one, and if anyone knew where I could take the headphones to get the cable replaced? Thank you!!

Jun 10, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #16,888 of 18,761
Hey guys! I am a proud new owner of the th-900's mk2s. Now, I love these headphones for everything- the accuracy, detail, imaging, soundstage- but they just don't have the "thump" in the bass that I want. Everyone goes on and on about these headphones being "bass cannons"- I just don't feel any bass. Granted I did just get these headphones yesterday, but even my dt 1990's have more of the subwoofer bass feeling then these. Even my M50s have more of that thumpy bass feeling. Am I doing something wrong?

I run these off of a thx 789, and topping E30 dac along with amazon music flac files.

Jun 10, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #16,889 of 18,761
Hey guys! I am a proud new owner of the th-900's mk2s. Now, I love these headphones for everything- the accuracy, detail, imaging, soundstage- but they just don't have the "thump" in the bass that I want. Everyone goes on and on about these headphones being "bass cannons"- I just don't feel any bass. Granted I did just get these headphones yesterday, but even my dt 1990's have more of the subwoofer bass feeling then these. Even my M50s have more of that thumpy bass feeling. Am I doing something wrong?

I run these off of a thx 789, and topping E30 dac along with amazon music flac files.
Well you feed it a bright dac and amp then thats what you get. Try a burr brown dac or use EQ. I had those other headphones you mentioned , but the th900 gives way more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back