Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 29, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #16,833 of 18,765
I've been looking for an answer to this, but with no luck. I'm getting some pretty contradicting information, too. I was hoping this would be where I could get reliable guidance. To keep it short and simple; what pads would you guys recommend for a TH900mk2 if the goal is primarily to tame the top end, at least a bit?

Feb 29, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #16,834 of 18,765
I've been looking for an answer to this, but with no luck. I'm getting some pretty contradicting information, too. I was hoping this would be where I could get reliable guidance. To keep it short and simple; what pads would you guys recommend for a TH900mk2 if the goal is primarily to tame the top end, at least a bit?
The TH610 pads worked well for me.

Mar 2, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #16,836 of 18,765
Has anyone tried out the yaxi alcantara pads? They seem to promise a tamer top end on the TH900.

Any pads that have a layer between the driver and your ears will cut some of the high end. In my experience Alcantara pads in general can muddle the bass. Personally I really like mine with either the Dekoni Hybrid or ZMFs

Mar 15, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #16,838 of 18,765
It seems like I made premature judgement on the TH900. The TH900 needs strong amping I realized. If the amping is not sufficient, the bass won't show itself as much it has potential to do so. You can get lots of bass out of it if the amp is right. I find that tube amps are the ones to do the deed. Eddie Current Zana Deux Super drives these superbly, and feel like it's the right match. It seems delta sigma DACs are better suited as well.

I'm most impressed with the spacious-ness of it's sound. Probably the biggest closed-back sound stage I've ever heard. I'm not so impressed with the resolution though. I can't see it being more resolving than the HD6 series sennheisers. The imaging however for a closed-back is quite impressive. If the right source and amping is used, you can get some good airiness for closed back, which makes the imaging so special on these. The bass on these are different from D9200. D9200 has small pad opening just to fit the ears, but these have a large size, which I believe causes large size bass compared to more focused, tighter D9200 bass. I believe, it needs more air moved for the bass to feel significant, and thus need full-sized amping, not portable. Unlike D9200 which works fine using portable devices.

It's hard to say if D9200 is really better, but I think I prefer the D9200. I wish the TH900 didn't have the 6k peak, it causes too much sibilence to certain tracks. So, vocals are easier to listen to on the D9200, but for jazz instrumentals, I would choose the TH900 due to it's imaging capability.

If I were to make a better headphone either of the two, it would be the focus sounding of D9200 without the 6k peak of TH900, with the sound stage and imaging of the TH900. And the build quality of D9200. D9200 just seems to have more updated build quality. It would be the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #16,839 of 18,765
It seems like I made premature judgement on the TH900. The TH900 needs strong amping I realized. If the amping is not sufficient, the bass won't show itself as much it has potential to do so. You can get lots of bass out of it if the amp is right. I find that tube amps are the ones to do the deed. Eddie Current Zana Deux Super drives these superbly, and feel like it's the right match. It seems delta sigma DACs are better suited as well.

I'm most impressed with the spacious-ness of it's sound. Probably the biggest closed-back sound stage I've ever heard. I'm not so impressed with the resolution though. I can't see it being more resolving than the HD6 series sennheisers. The imaging however for a closed-back is quite impressive. If the right source and amping is used, you can get some good airiness for closed back, which makes the imaging so special on these. The bass on these are different from D9200. D9200 has small pad opening just to fit the ears, but these have a large size, which I believe causes large size bass compared to more focused, tighter D9200 bass. I believe, it needs more air moved for the bass to feel significant, and thus need full-sized amping, not portable. Unlike D9200 which works fine using portable devices.

It's hard to say if D9200 is really better, but I think I prefer the D9200. I wish the TH900 didn't have the 6k peak, it causes too much sibilence to certain tracks.

If I were to make a better headphone either of the two, it would be the focus sounding of D9200 without the 6k peak of TH900, with the sound stage and imaging of the TH900. And the build quality of D9200. D9200 just seems to have more updated build quality. It would be the best of both worlds.
I like the TH900 , I bought like 12 TH900s. I settled with: six TH900s , 9200 , FAD8000 Pro. The TH900 will change alot depending on the dac , amp , pads , cable.

Mar 15, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #16,840 of 18,765
I like the TH900 , I bought like 12 TH900s. I settled with: six TH900s , 9200 , FAD8000 Pro. The TH900 will change alot depending on the dac , amp , pads , cable.
At least with amping and DACs, I did notice it's differences so far. I think the tube amps tame the highs a bit, or even get rid of the 6k annoyance if the tube amp can do it. It has lots of potential. I can see why it is favored by the fans.

It's odd to me why it works so well with tube amps, but D9200 seems to work better off of solid-state. Since TH900 is only 25 ohm impedance, you'd have to use low impedance tube amps.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #16,841 of 18,765
this has been discussed many times in this thread but with a sensitivity of 100db per mw, the th900 does not require a powerful amp

Mar 15, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #16,842 of 18,765
this has been discussed many times in this thread but with a sensitivity of 100db per mw, the th900 does not require a powerful amp
True it does not NEED , but sounds a lot better with a powerful good amp.

Mar 15, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #16,844 of 18,765
that's not been my experience, but i'll leave the debunking of audiophile myths to the boffins over in the sound science forum
Correct .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back