Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 11, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #16,276 of 18,761
I apologise if this has been asked before but... there is a used set of Th-900 on the local market and I am contemplating purchasing them but I may be using them quite a bit in the library and I am fine with poor Isolation but I don’t wish to be a nuisance to others...

I am still young... and usually listen at lower levels, my Senn Amperior out of my iPhone X (dongle) is usually at the halfway mark... Most earphones I use don’t exceed my Phone’s halfway mark... usually 40-45% thereabouts...

Would I run risk of being chased out of the library?

Oct 11, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #16,277 of 18,761
I apologise if this has been asked before but... there is a used set of Th-900 on the local market and I am contemplating purchasing them but I may be using them quite a bit in the library and I am fine with poor Isolation but I don’t wish to be a nuisance to others...

I am still young... and usually listen at lower levels, my Senn Amperior out of my iPhone X (dongle) is usually at the halfway mark... Most earphones I use don’t exceed my Phone’s halfway mark... usually 40-45% thereabouts...

Yes, the TH900 leak noise like crazy unfortunately, they're definitely not suitable for a library

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #16,278 of 18,761
Yes, the TH900 leak noise like crazy unfortunately, they're definitely not suitable for a library
Leak like crazy, come on, but I have no idea cause I usually have them on. I have bern using various th900s on the go(walking, buses, trains) for over 3 yrs with no issues. Maybe noises do leak in.

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #16,279 of 18,761

At the levels you described it shouldn't be too bad, but the cans do leak so if someone where seated at the same table as you they may get a decent listen to your music. I don't imagine it would be any worse than they guy or girl with Beats ,who cranks the volume to 90-100% on whatever device they use, that I seem to encounter everytime I visit my local library.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #16,280 of 18,761
At low listening levels I don't think TH900s should be a problem in a library.

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #16,281 of 18,761
My google fu is failing me. Could some kind soul lend some help?

I have an original th900 that I would like to convert from a 1/4 end to a 4 pin xlr balanced. Could this be as simple as replacing the ends? I guess my question is where do the ground wires splice in the stock cable? Is it at the jack or in the y split?

I got my new schiit stack in today, and I was wanting to try balanced out. The hd800s I am auditioning have a balanced cable that I am currently auditioning. No clue if they sound different, but since I have the option why not?

Thanks!!!

ETA: I have been meaning to share this for a while, as I am not sure if it has been said before. I am pretty sure I know the tuning difference between the Th900 Blue and regular. For those of you with both pairs that are willing to take driver out the difference will be pretty obvious. There is a hole in the original driver that is solid in the blue driver. Other than that, I could not tell a difference. To my ears, this reduces the bass slightly and makes the highs stand out more.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #16,283 of 18,761
My google fu is failing me. Could some kind soul lend some help?

I have an original th900 that I would like to convert from a 1/4 end to a 4 pin xlr balanced. Could this be as simple as replacing the ends? I guess my question is where do the ground wires splice in the stock cable? Is it at the jack or in the y split?

I got my new schiit stack in today, and I was wanting to try balanced out. The hd800s I am auditioning have a balanced cable that I am currently auditioning. No clue if they sound different, but since I have the option why not?

Thanks!!!

ETA: I have been meaning to share this for a while, as I am not sure if it has been said before. I am pretty sure I know the tuning difference between the Th900 Blue and regular. For those of you with both pairs that are willing to take driver out the difference will be pretty obvious. There is a hole in the original driver that is solid in the blue driver. Other than that, I could not tell a difference. To my ears, this reduces the bass slightly and makes the highs stand out more.
Perhaps not quite what you want to do but at one point Fostex were making a conversion kit available, so you could make a MkI and MkII. Then you could easily switch cables. Otherwise I'm not sure but I could ask a service engineer here. He would know.

Oct 17, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #16,286 of 18,761
Perhaps not quite what you want to do but at one point Fostex were making a conversion kit available, so you could make a MkI and MkII. Then you could easily switch cables. Otherwise I'm not sure but I could ask a service engineer here. He would know.
thanks, I was unaware of this.

ETA: I was able to find another user stating you can lop off the stock end and solder on a balanced xlr connector.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #16,287 of 18,761
thanks, I was unaware of this.

ETA: I was able to find another user stating you can lop off the stock end and solder on a balanced xlr connector.

It cost GBP 400. No one has requested it yet, perhaps unsurprisingly. :)

OK, good. The technician here said it depends where the common from each side is joined. Chances are it is at the end of the cable on the 6.35mm jack. If they are joined where the cable becomes one then you won't find enough wires when you cut off the jack. We can't tell that from looking at a replacement TH900 cable. Has the other user tried it?

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #16,289 of 18,761
Oct 19, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #16,290 of 18,761
Has anyone tried sonar works truefi eq on the th900?
Yes I sent my TH-900 to them and they made a custom EQ for my pair for quite a hefty price. It drastically changes the sound. No joke. Makes them a completely different headphone. Here are the measurements from my pair.

Baseline measurements, without any EQ:
upload_2018-10-19_19-9-2.png

EQ'd by True-Fi
upload_2018-10-19_19-10-16.png

(personalization has 2 options: (1) a -8 to +8 dB bass boost and (2) an age compensation which raises the treble based on age...so basically you can make any EQ'd headphone more V-shaped)

Honestly, I prefer the stock sound sound. It's just more fun, which is what I use these headphones for. These headphones have a magic that is swept away by too strong of an EQ. I have other headphones that do a better job if I want the kind of neutral presentation that this powerful EQ pushes all headphones to. IMO, use the money you would have spent on True-Fi and get a more neutral pair of headphones if that's the sound you're looking for. Or save it for a TH-909 (which I haven't heard yet but plan to! :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back