Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 7, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #16,172 of 18,761
Essentially identical, honestly you can get a used pair of Mk1's & get them cable modded later down the road to a more readily available connection type as the one Fostex is currently using is borderline proprietary & massive. If you've never heard a pair I strongly recommend a try before you buy approach with these cans as the sound is fairly polarizing & they aren't the easiest cans to unload if you don't like them.
i'm not sure what you mean by "borderline proprietary" - it's a standard 1/4 inch connector. i've plugged it into a variety of amps/dacs without issue. with regard to the sound being "fairly polarising", well that could be said of any number of flagship headphones. i do agree that folks should try any expensive headphone that they're considering purchasing if they can.

Oh I love their stock cable and connector. Looks and feel expensive.
the duralumin plug and stock cable looks and feels premium to me too

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #16,173 of 18,761
I keep my excess cable wrapped around the headphone stand. No problem.

TqPC7iu.jpg

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #16,174 of 18,761
I cut the stock cable to 1.4 m.

Sounds like an easy solution. Having modded some AKGs to balanced I would give it a try. Just don't want to ruin them since the TH900 are in a different price range. Guess you did it on the plug side. I tried to carefully open it but didn't manage. How did you do it? Do you need any special equipment? Would you like to share this information?

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #16,175 of 18,761
Sounds like an easy solution. Having modded some AKGs to balanced I would give it a try. Just don't want to ruin them since the TH900 are in a different price range. Guess you did it on the plug side. I tried to carefully open it but didn't manage. How did you do it? Do you need any special equipment? Would you like to share this information?
I went to a iem cable maker and they just cut it and attached a better 3.5 connector.

Sep 8, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #16,177 of 18,761
lucky you. I don't have this kind of service anywhere around. Do it yourself or forget the idea ...
You can find somes here in Italy

Could you please post a link, where they offer that. Shipping them through Europe is not that expensive and at least tax free.

Sep 8, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #16,179 of 18,761
Sep 8, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #16,181 of 18,761
Oh I love their stock cable and connector. Looks and feels expensive.

Love the OEM cable/plug too but my only grip is that the cable goes on for miles!

i'm not sure what you mean by "borderline proprietary" - it's a standard 1/4 inch connector. i've plugged it into a variety of amps/dacs without issue. with regard to the sound being "fairly polarising", well that could be said of any number of flagship headphones. i do agree that folks should try any expensive headphone that they're considering purchasing if they can.

the duralumin plug and stock cable looks and feels premium to me too

I think by "borderline proprietary" the poster was referring to the headphone end which I agree with. I have my TH900 MK1 modded by PETEREK to flushed 2.5mm mono plugs at the headphone end and definitely prefer it to the MK2 set up.

Sep 8, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #16,182 of 18,761
I actually am quite OK with the mk2 plugs since my old HD6x0 cables all fit. Having 1 occ cable for the (incoming) TH900 and (present) HD580 jubilee, and (present) TH610 is a pro in my book. What I do hope is that the springs in the TH900 are those of the present HD6x0 series and not the old like my 580 jubilee.

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #16,183 of 18,761

I did a terrible job explaining my claims so I can understand these questions. I say the cable is borderline proprietary not because of the 1/4 end ,but because of the two pins that go directly into the headphone. They appear to be like the connections on Sennheiser 2 pin connectors ,but they aren't & your ability to use those connections on the TH900 is dependent on if you can get them to stay in place & work properly despite the flipped polarity. In regards to my comment on the sound being polarizing I was commenting on the reputation these cans have developed in the community, yes all TOTL cans will have their supporters or haters,but generally you can get some kind of a consensus going. These cans seem to fall into one of two camps for most people, a fun engaging listening experience with mind blowing bass or a punishing treble induced ear raping. The number of people who seem to believe the latter is not insignificant & was something I felt warranted bringing up as it isn't just a matter of whether they like the sound or not ,but that some people will literally find these cans unusable.

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #16,184 of 18,761
Most people do not fix its weakness. It is very easy to fix. I use Loki for it. 3 oclock for 500khz, and 10 oclock for 8khz. Done.

Stock TH900 is a fun can. But EQ-ed TH900 is a beast. It is the only closed headphone that I tried that can not only compete, but beat many open-backed cans in their own game: soundstage. This closed-back roam around the open-backed world like a king. Utopia? HD800? Bring it on!

I truly find it hard to find better cans nowadays, if I use this as a benchmark. It does not have any real weakness. If I have to really nitpick, its resolution and texture are still below HD800 and Utopia, but that is acceptable. This is probably the only headphone I regret selling.

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #16,185 of 18,761
Most people do not fix its weakness. It is very easy to fix. I use Loki for it. 3 oclock for 500khz, and 10 oclock for 8khz. Done.

Stock TH900 is a fun can. But EQ-ed TH900 is a beast. It is the only closed headphone that I tried that can not only compete, but beat many open-backed cans in their own game: soundstage. This closed-back roam around the open-backed world like a king. Utopia? HD800? Bring it on!

I truly find it hard to find better cans nowadays, if I use this as a benchmark. It does not have any real weakness. If I have to really nitpick, its resolution and texture are still below HD800 and Utopia, but that is acceptable. This is probably the only headphone I regret selling.

Would you care to share some of your preferred EQ settings? I've been playing with EQ a little bit myself and have been having trouble pinpointing it for the TH900s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back