Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 28, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #13,456 of 18,765
I am looking for a very fun headphone, considering inalready have an HD800. How does the th900 bass and impact compare to the sz2000?

+ TH900, if you want to hear the best bass
SVS SB13 or JL Fantom if you want to FEEL and HEAR the amazing bass :)

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #13,458 of 18,765
well here you go, fully modded now lawton hawaiin koa museum grade tune level 2

What I have noticed, the angle pads really do angle the headphone and are thicker at the thickest end.
The cups are much larger than original.
The DIY job can be tricky in matching up screws with pre drilled holes, but mark was very generous in paying for additional shipping back to me to have lawton do this. Very pro like responses.
The sound. Ill caveat that I have done this a little piece meal. Cable first, then dampening, then cups and angle pads. I can't A/B directly and are going off some memory from a week ago, but I fully recommend the customization. Its a louder more balanced impact and slam, I have to turn down my HPA8 a few notches and I have had the originals for over two years so I do have some memory muscle comparisons. However the cups seem to have made a noticeable change to the sound and I will say its a go big or go home upgrade. Do the whole thing or just leave it alone and save some doe. But I can say that the creep of the bass in heavy down beat is less, tighter slam, and not that sibilance bothers me in the original, but the mids seem more balanced and the th900 experience more enjoyable. well quite interesting experience and visually, sorry red, stunning end result in person.  frankly its been difficult for me to tear myself away from hugo TT and HD800S, but the old fostex or do I call it LA900? with A8 are going to put up a righteous fight for head time. Its almost like arnold, Ill be back.... Cheers to whomever again recommended full upgrade. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #13,460 of 18,765

What I have noticed, the angle pads really do angle the headphone and are thicker at the thickest end.
The DIY job can be tricky in matching up screws with pre drilled holes, but mark was very generous in paying for additional shipping back to me to have lawton do this. Very pro like responses.
The sound. Ill caveat that I have done this a little piece meal. Cable first, then dampening, then cups and angle pads. I can't A/B directly and are going off some memory from a week ago, but I fully recommend the customization. Its a louder more balanced impact and slam, I have to turn down my HPA8 a few notches and I have had the originals for over two years so I do have some memory muscle comparisons. However the cups seem to have made a noticeable change to the sound and I will say its a go big or go home upgrade. Do the whole thing or just leave it alone and save some doe. But I can say that the creep of the bass in heavy down beat is less, tighter slam, and not that sibilance bothers me in the original, but the mids seem more balanced and the th900 experience more enjoyable. well quite interesting experience and visually, sorry red, stunning end result in person.  frankly its been difficult for me to tear myself away from hugo TT and HD800S, but the old fostex or do I call it LA900? with A8 are going to put up a righteous fight for head time. Its almost like arnold, Ill be back.... Cheers to whomever again recommended full upgrade. 
beerchug.gif

Whazzy! You finally gone Lawton my friend? Cheers mate! 
beerchug.gif

Beaytiful wood as well!

Yep, it's all or nothing. Do his three mods together or leave it alone.
The cable is optional though and can be done later. Adds more detail, like turning the tap more open in the detail department.
All in all a much better headphone than stock. I have 1 left of the 4 and I'm keeping it. :wink:

But I said it many times and I'll say it again: these phones (TH-900 and even more so LA-900) desreve an amp. A real amp
They play fine wit a dac/amp combo yes but they have a right to be driven by a fine amp. Nothing pwerful, nothing expensive.
From what I have and have heard and that's in some way affordable is an ECBW or a little vintage amp, nothing fancy, like my Aiwa.
I'd love to sell it to you for a small price and it's even dual voltage but I honestly don't t dare shipping that vintage amp across the Atlantic.
It's going to end in tears, pretty sure of it so don't ask me.
Read a bit through the vintage thread if that's something you would consider, much more to find in the Americas than in Europe.
And you don't need an amp with much watts, a 40W amp will be just fine. Calculate recapping costs in as well.
Or take the easy way out and get the ECBW. Almost a Zana and no worries about tubes and heat.

Just my 2 cents, I know you're blindly in love with the A8 but I always contradicted you on that.
Your HD800S deserves better as well. ECBW is a nice marriage for that one as well but Zana is a soulmate.

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #13,461 of 18,765

beerchug.gif

Whazzy! You finally gone Lawton my friend? Cheers mate! 
beerchug.gif

Beaytiful wood as well!

Yep, it's all or nothing. Do his three mods together or leave it alone.
The cable is optional though and can be done later. Adds more detail, like turning the tap more open in the detail department.
All in all a much better headphone than stock. I have 1 left of the 4 and I'm keeping it. :wink:

But I said it many times and I'll say it again: these phones (TH-900 and even more so LA-900) desreve an amp. A real amp
They play fine wit a dac/amp combo yes but they have a right to be driven by a fine amp. Nothing pwerful, nothing expensive.
From what I have and have heard and that's in some way affordable is an ECBW or a little vintage amp, nothing fancy, like my Aiwa.
I'd love to sell it to you for a small price and it's even dual voltage but I honestly don't t dare shipping that vintage amp across the Atlantic.
It's going to end in tears, pretty sure of it so don't ask me.
Read a bit through the vintage thread if that's something you would consider, much more to find in the Americas than in Europe.
And you don't need an amp with much watts, a 40W amp will be just fine. Calculate recapping costs in as well.
Or take the easy way out and get the ECBW. Almost a Zana and no worries about tubes and heat.

Just my 2 cents, I know you're blindly in love with the A8 but I always contradicted you on that.
Your HD800S deserves better as well. ECBW is a nice marriage for that one as well but Zana is a soulmate.

Thanks mate, yes i remember it was applehead that recommended do the full and thanks.
Im not in love with A8 even tho it was my starter pairing. its just that I tried A/B with Hugo and A8 was more to my liking. I keep the hugo for portable and my 846 or in the garden with th 900 is fine with it. I also have TT and tonally I prefer the TT but even at 1/3 the cost the A8 throws a super low sub, and I like that. So I'm getting gsx mk2 to pair up with my TT, with super interconnects and keep the TT for hd800S, the question is balanced or not, we shall see, lets just say technically its complicated, ill leave my blurb on this on the TT site when my pre amp comes.. Now the TT and gsx is a bit much for 900 but will scale my hd800S nice i hope and am told. Soooo back to the 900 and A8, I'm really happy with the mod and pair, I'm not sure if at this time there is an incremental need to take it farther. Channel D pure music might be in the pipe, but only after my rig for 800S is complete. 
but thanks for the info and ill keep it in mind....

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #13,462 of 18,765
So just straight from the Hugo better to look to th600.. Or Shure 846
How are them with the chord? And what about the bass?
An Italian friend has TT+ gsk k2 with the th900 and lcd3f
Has sold the hd800. To me:grimacing: But these also sound better from the amp than with just Hugo
And so I sold it too

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #13,463 of 18,765

Thanks mate, yes i remember it was applehead that recommended do the full and thanks.
Im not in love with A8 even tho it was my starter pairing. its just that I tried A/B with Hugo and A8 was more to my liking. I keep the hugo for portable and my 846 or in the garden with th 900 is fine with it. I also have TT and tonally I prefer the TT but even at 1/3 the cost the A8 throws a super low sub, and I like that. So I'm getting gsx mk2 to pair up with my TT, with super interconnects and keep the TT for hd800S, the question is balanced or not, we shall see, lets just say technically its complicated, ill leave my blurb on this on the TT site when my pre amp comes.. Now the TT and gsx is a bit much for 900 but will scale my hd800S nice i hope and am told. Soooo back to the 900 and A8, I'm really happy with the mod and pair, I'm not sure if at this time there is an incremental need to take it farther. Channel D pure music might be in the pipe, but only after my rig for 800S is complete. 
but thanks for the info and ill keep it in mind....

I prefer A8 to both Hugo and TT.
You already bought/ordered the GSX new/second hand if I may ask?

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #13,464 of 18,765
Ordered new, prior to resent price increase to boot.

Jul 28, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #13,466 of 18,765
Jul 28, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #13,467 of 18,765
4-5 weeks ago hope to hear in the next couple of weeks.

Haven't followed his delivery schedule and promises lately but did he actually affirmatively confirm that to you?
Waiting times for a GS-X can take a while at times. A long, long while.
But maybe you ordered just in time for a finshed batch and some amps were left for a rare occasion.
I waited 9 months for it. My mistress got a bay in that time so I had to sell the amp to pay for the kid. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #13,469 of 18,765
It depends on your priorities. Do you value retaining your ability to hear high frequencies? Do you value some semblance of timbral accuracy to instruments? If the answers to both are no, then the T1 is a great choice 
wink.gif
. If you do value both however, then you might want to check out the TH-610. On a serious note, demo both if you can because no one will know preferences except you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back