Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 22, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #13,442 of 18,776
I am looking for a very fun headphone, considering inalready have an HD800. How does the th900 bass and impact compare to the sz2000?

dunno about sz2000 but get ready to strap a marshall stack to your ears and prepare to be thumped. Perfect compliment to hd800S, lots of fun, versus lots of balance

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #13,443 of 18,776

dunno about sz2000 but get ready to strap a marshall stack to your ears and prepare to be thumped. Perfect compliment to hd800S, lots of fun, versus lots of balance

Seconded.  I got the TH900 as a sort of complement to the T1, for when you just need some mind-blowing bass in your life.  GnR on this is simply great.  It's like someone's slapping you with a wall of sound.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #13,444 of 18,776

​That is what I am looking for - a headphone that will actually wow me with bass. However, they sing so much praise for the sz200, in their thread, claiming the bass is far beyond anything else; being significantly cheaper also helps. Still cannot figure out what to do.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #13,445 of 18,776

​That is what I am looking for - a headphone that will actually wow me with bass. However, they sing so much praise for the sz200, in their thread, claiming the bass is far beyond anything else; being significantly cheaper also helps. Still cannot figure out what to do.

Without a doubt, there are many cheaper basshead cans out there.  For one, I used to own V-Modas. The difference lies in the TH900's soundstage and detail retrieval, not to mention an overall refinement sound.  The great thing about the TH900 is that its bass fits in perfectly with its sound signature, and that makes it truly worthy of being a flagship can.

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #13,446 of 18,776
If you listen to EDM there is no better headphone IMO. I've tried and own many other TOTL headphones but this one takes the cake for bass heavy genres like Dance, Electronic, EDM, Hip Hop etc

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #13,447 of 18,776
If you listen to EDM there is no better headphone IMO. I've tried and own many other TOTL headphones but this one takes the cake for bass heavy genres like Dance, Electronic, EDM, Hip Hop etc

I am a serious trance guy and I can confirm this 100%. No other cans even come close. 

Jul 24, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #13,448 of 18,776
There's a nice pair of LA-900 up for grabs atm. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #13,454 of 18,776
  Tried using the Th900 with some lesser tracks from the 80s...it absolutely did not like that.  What an unforgiving can haha.

You can sort of "massage" the sound with the other components in your chain - smooth DAC signature, dark amp signature - but there's only so much one can forgive, and yeah, the TH-900 can be a tad too unforgiving with poorly mastered/mixed stuff, especially in the upper midrange and treble areas. That's one of the reasons I decided to let mine go, aside from my lifestyle becoming more mobile which necessitated IEMs anyway. A large portion of the music I listen to is still pretty "ghetto" quality (eg: live electronica mixes from Soundcloud), and the TH900 wasn't quite as forgiving as I'd wanted. I hear the Massdrop/Fostex collab headphones (THX-00 or something like that) are a bit more forgiving in that regard (smoother up top), but I haven't tried them myself so can't say for sure.

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #13,455 of 18,776

You can sort of "massage" the sound with the other components in your chain - smooth DAC signature, dark amp signature - but there's only so much one can forgive, and yeah, the TH-900 can be a tad too unforgiving with poorly mastered/mixed stuff, especially in the upper midrange and treble areas. That's one of the reasons I decided to let mine go, aside from my lifestyle becoming more mobile which necessitated IEMs anyway. A large portion of the music I listen to is still pretty "ghetto" quality (eg: live electronica mixes from Soundcloud), and the TH900 wasn't quite as forgiving as I'd wanted. I hear the Massdrop/Fostex collab headphones (THX-00 or something like that) are a bit more forgiving in that regard (smoother up top), but I haven't tried them myself so can't say for sure.

Indeed.  I don't think I'll be letting mine go any time soon - the bass is too good, but I can totally understand the upper mid/ treble issue.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back