Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 8, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #11,911 of 18,761
My ears must be used to the sound more by now... I feel less harshness in the highs now.

Nonetheless, what would be a good amp to tame TH900's treble up to $500?.. Amp only, dac would be Mojo.

I got my baby bakoon for $600 used, though msrp is $1300. Look up bakoon and th900 pairing. It's legendary

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #11,912 of 18,761
+1 for the Soloist and TH900.  I don't have any problem with the treble on that combo and the bass sounds a bit tighter and faster out of the Soloist, it can sound boomy out of other amps I've tried.  HD800/HD6X0 sounds amazing with the Soloist also.

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #11,913 of 18,761
The song is political and you might not like that (I don't care about the lyrics really) but the bass line is amazing with TH900... Ignore the lyrics.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #11,916 of 18,761
I got used to the sound signature... Highs are not bothersome anymore. AKG Q701 used to cause fatigue but TH900 doesn't. That might partly be due to I don't have to increase volume to hear bass. Low volume listening is excellent. TH900 is quite a unique headphone for EDM fans. I'm not sure where else I could find a full size headphone that has nightclub atmosphere.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #11,917 of 18,761
I got used to the sound signature... Highs are not bothersome anymore. AKG Q701 used to cause fatigue but TH900 doesn't. That might partly be due to I don't have to increase volume to hear bass. Low volume listening is excellent. TH900 is quite a unique headphone for EDM fans. I'm not sure where else I could find a full size headphone that has nightclub atmosphere.

Totally agreed, finally something with excellent details, smooth, and can be listened at easy volume and not full boom-bang that can destroy hearing

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #11,918 of 18,761
Here we go. All aboard. (I'm dramatic) I've ordered a set of TH-900's from Amazon. Amazon edged out B&H In price. The outfit selling on Amazon is AudioDeluxe in Nashville. I ordered last night and got a shipping notice today stating the would arrive via Fedex Friday. Oops, I forgot 'Saddle Up'. Why? Well first thing is a call to Fedex asking that they not be delivered to my business at 6:30 AM. I could write a book about Fedex!. Next comes the fun part. Do I burn them in first? How should I do that? My experience has been that balanced headphone connections sound better than single ended. I see that my new th-900's come stock with what I've read is a desirable cable. So I am going to give them a good workout with the stock cable but at some point I will be tempted to cut or replace the stock cable. I personally have found bal vs Se is not just about Louder or More Power but it changes Soundstage, Detail and Bass Response for the better. Who has experience with both connections?

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #11,919 of 18,761
Here we go. All aboard. (I'm dramatic) I've ordered a set of TH-900's from Amazon. Amazon edged out B&H In price. The outfit selling on Amazon is AudioDeluxe in Nashville. I ordered last night and got a shipping notice today stating the would arrive via Fedex Friday. Oops, I forgot 'Saddle Up'. Why? Well first thing is a call to Fedex asking that they not be delivered to my business at 6:30 AM. I could write a book about Fedex!. Next comes the fun part. Do I burn them in first? How should I do that? My experience has been that balanced headphone connections sound better than single ended. I see that my new th-900's come stock with what I've read is a desirable cable. So I am going to give them a good workout with the stock cable but at some point I will be tempted to cut or replace the stock cable. I personally have found bal vs Se is not just about Louder or More Power but it changes Soundstage, Detail and Bass Response for the better. Who has experience with both connections?

I did, and you are correct :) about balanced vs standard. Though the stock cables is really good, you can just cut it and pigtail it, then you don't have to solder on the drivers. If you do on the drivers though, upgrade it to silver cables or better quality wires. OFC cables is not that good compare to silver or OCC copper.

Burn-in help, but definitely not noticable. This is one of those I have not heard noticable change from new to now 40 hours .... Lol

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #11,920 of 18,761
Is there any consensus on which portable amp/dac TH-900 is the best to pair with? I have a Chord Mojo and Fostex hp-p1 and as much as i like them with other headphones i still wish for a better synergy for TH-900,any recommendations under $600? Also,when you speak of Burson Soloist,do you mean the SL version  for $449 http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BUSOLOSL&variation=SIL&gclid=CPrg4LXiz8kCFYMXHwod9xsCTQ or a regular version for $1000 ? If so, how much the SL version is different as far as TH-900 goes?

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #11,921 of 18,761
  Is there any consensus on which portable amp/dac TH-900 is the best to pair with? I have a Chord Mojo and Fostex hp-p1 and as much as i like them with other headphones i still wish for a better synergy for TH-900,any recommendations under $600? Also,when you speak of Burson Soloist,do you mean the SL version  for $449 http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BUSOLOSL&variation=SIL&gclid=CPrg4LXiz8kCFYMXHwod9xsCTQ or a regular version for $1000 ? If so, how much the SL version is different as far as TH-900 goes?

I think Soloist SL MK2 should suffice. TH900 doesn't need the power of the bigger Soloist. Buy the new MK2 version Soloist SL though, the one in the link is the older version.

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #11,922 of 18,761

i listen at low to moderate levels. i have no idea why the treble which started out as problematic ceased to be an issue for me, but i'm confident that it wasn't related to the volume that i listen at.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #11,924 of 18,761

I did, and you are correct
smily_headphones1.gif
about balanced vs standard. Though the stock cables is really good, you can just cut it and pigtail it, then you don't have to solder on the drivers. If you do on the drivers though, upgrade it to silver cables or better quality wires. OFC cables is not that good compare to silver or OCC copper.

Burn-in help, but definitely not noticable. This is one of those I have not heard noticable change from new to now 40 hours .... Lol

I've A/B my well-used th900 against a 100hr-ish th900. The difference in transparency was night and day. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back