Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 7, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #11,881 of 18,765
First impression: Bass is the best I've heard. This could be the best audiophile/basshead headphone if the highs were more polite. They're indeed a bit harsh. I don't find the mids very recessed though, maybe because I mostly listen to EDM and vocals don't matter that much for that genre. Detail retrieval is very very good.

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #11,882 of 18,765
  First impression: Bass is the best I've heard. This could be the best audiophile/basshead headphone if the highs were more polite. They're indeed a bit harsh. I don't find the mids very recessed though, maybe because I mostly listen to EDM and vocals don't matter that much for that genre. Detail retrieval is very very good.

Glad you're enjoying them! 
L3000.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #11,883 of 18,765
Im saving for a set of th-900's. But every time I hear they have Harsh Treble it scares me. Is this like the perceived treble in hd800's? I'm looking for a better bass set of cans. Does this headphone Burn-In? How about listening to them single ended vs balanced. I have read through much of this thread. I want them for edm as well. Last, and thank you, I have lcd2-f and hd800. Is the th-900 different enough to make this a well rounded trio? I am not looking at other headphones. I'm fairly imprinted on getting the th-900 and not looking at ether-c or others. So what about this Treble?

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #11,884 of 18,765
Im saving for a set of th-900's. But every time I hear they have Harsh Treble it scares me. Is this like the perceived treble in hd800's? I'm looking for a better bass set of cans. Does this headphone Burn-In? How about listening to them single ended vs balanced. I have read through much of this thread. I want them for edm as well. Last, and thank you, I have lcd2-f and hd800. Is the th-900 different enough to make this a well rounded trio? I am not looking at other headphones. I'm fairly imprinted on getting the th-900 and not looking at ether-c or others. So what about this Treble?

It's harsh. :D

Seriously though, it is a bit.

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #11,885 of 18,765

Well, HD800's treble peak bothered me but I'm hopeful about HD800S because apparently 6 khz peak is no more and there's more sub-bass. I don't think balanced will help and Fostex doesn't recommend it, but a warmer/darker amp might be better for TH900. As far as I know, Fostex's own amp is on the dark side.

TH900 is very different than LCD2-F and HD800. This is a v-shaped headphone, definitely. Mids will sound recessed compared to those two, even though they're not as recessed as I thought it would be. Certainly fine for pop, edm etc. Bass extension and slam kills any headphone I've heard thus far. Maybe LCD-4 can compete? I don't know as I haven't heard it. Think of it like subwoofer on your ears. However bass is very tight and controlled, it's not loose or boomy.

Treble well... That's a touchy subject. I can't stand harsh treble. I sold Q701 because of that. Let's see if my brain can adapt to TH900's treble. A tube amp or a warm amp might take the edge off. Some people like treble, some senior people can't even notice treble peaks due to hearing loss. I've always thought Beyerdynamic's engineers are 50+. It depends on your ears in the end. Just don't expect relaxed, smooth treble.

Ps: I'm getting goosebumps listening to Borders by M.I.A. right now. That bass, wow.

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #11,886 of 18,765

I would definitely give yourself a few weeks to get accustomed to the sound of the TH900, and see if your brain adjusts to the treble peakiness. If by the end of that period, you still can't stand the treble, but can't part with the other great things about this headphone (e.g. the bass, comfort, closed form factor), you could look into mods. I highly recommend at least trying the carbon foam pad mod described on the TH900 mod thread. It is amazing what a change in material and reduction in height of the pads can do for the sound of the TH900. Try pressing the headphone cups into your head (i.e. compress the pads) with your hands, and listen to how the sound changes as your ears get closer to the driver. More mids, and less treble.

There are also less involved mods you could try, like inserting shelf-liner in front of the driver grill, or the Lawton Tier 1 mods. Good luck!

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #11,887 of 18,765
I personally couldn't deal with the 5-7k peak on the TH-900's as it affected my tinnitus. I wanted to step away from summit fi until the HD800s came out anyway. Plus, the th-x00's (which will arrive at my home tomorrow) seemed to tame that peak and it put money in my pocket.

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #11,889 of 18,765
dunno how many times i've said this but it might bear repeating here. the th900's treble was problematic for me initially and a potential deal breaker. for whatever reason (burn-in, acclimation etc.), it ceased to be an issue. having said that, i've heard cans with sweeter highs.

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #11,890 of 18,765
I have mild hearing loss at 4K. I believe the hd800's have a 6k peak as well. With my bifrost/lyr2 the hd800's were a bit bright on some tracks. But they are glorious with my Master 11 and really rock with my Liquid Carbon. You know I don't see a bunch of threads with people looking for amps to tame the treble of the th900's like you do with the hd800's. I'll get a set where I can return them.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #11,892 of 18,765

Defo....a perfect trio of different characters

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #11,893 of 18,765
I find the TH900 has more treble than the HD800. TH900 with treble hot tracks could be bothersome. But TH900 does EDM very well and has good bass slam.

I was seriously considering Ether C until I heard everyone saying they are very bass light. I've never heard the LCD's but the TH900 and HD800 are both great and very contrasting phones to have in your collection. Different enough to make worthwhile.

I think harshness will come down to the gear that you pair your headphones with.

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #11,895 of 18,765
I have mild hearing loss at 4K. I believe the hd800's have a 6k peak as well. With my bifrost/lyr2 the hd800's were a bit bright on some tracks. But they are glorious with my Master 11 and really rock with my Liquid Carbon. You know I don't see a bunch of threads with people looking for amps to tame the treble of the th900's like you do with the hd800's. I'll get a set where I can return them.

it's well worth a try and i think it would complement your hd800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back