Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 5, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #11,852 of 18,776
Well, technically, a PS is not an answer but a mere addendum; so it's really more like an edit, but in a separate post. :)

Yes, but also technically he quoted himself rather than just editing the post.
smile.gif

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #11,857 of 18,776
How does it sound? Been curious about this amp.

Best I've heard the TH900 on current mode. Seems to bring out the mids more compared to any other amps. The amp is weaker compared to the HPA-21 or HPA-01, only 350 mW compared to 1W. I find 80% of the volume knob on low gain sufficient for modern music. On some high dynamic range classical, worst case scenario required max volume on high gain, but the crescendos got a bit uncomfortable, so I say it's just sufficient for all music with the TH900. This is all on current mode. Voltage mode is more sensitive and has plenty more headroom.

Disclaimer: I only had the opportunity to use it with a portable dac (audioengine d3) and my phone today. It's write possible that with a pepper desktop setup, there was be more headroom and volume.

EDIT: After trying with a desktop dac with its own power supply, the Bakoon delivers plenty of power. 30% volume on low gain is enough for most music. I can't see needing to even use high gain for the quietest classical music.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #11,862 of 18,776
Wow... you have an awesome wife, lol. I know you put up your TH-X00 up for sale, and I suppose you don't even want to entertain doing a comparison because you don't want to sell a gift your wife gave you, lol. 

Congrats on the gift. Tell us what you think of the headphones. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #11,863 of 18,776
Wow... you have an awesome wife, lol. I know you put up your TH-X00 up for sale, and I suppose you don't even want to entertain doing a comparison because you don't want to sell a gift your wife gave you, lol. 

Congrats on the gift. Tell us what you think of the headphones. 

That is exactly it :wink:. I will definitely let you all know how it will be. One mod that I will be doing for sure is balanced removable cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back