Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 24, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #11,117 of 18,762
  So the TH900 pairs better with R2R dacs?

i wouldn't say that exactly. if you like the R2R dac sound (and i'm generalizing here), then the trick is to find an amp that let's its characteristics shine through. the taurus mk.2 does just that. but if you already have a DAC you like, then use that...

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #11,118 of 18,762
  So the TH900 pairs better with R2R dacs?

Well, I met up with a couple guys this past Sunday - I had my Auralic stack and modded TH900's, and my friend had his stock TH900's.....hooked up the Gungir to my Taurus, and the TH900's did very well. We also had the chance to hook up both TH900's to my friend's Unison Research tube amp - fed from the Auralic Vega DAC - very, very nice sound! 

Impressions from one of the members that day: 

The mini-meet has reinforced my impression that R2R (or multibit) and Sabre chip DACs are fundamentally different. If implemented well, both approaches produce excellent sounds, but each with its unique characters. To me, the biggest differences are imaging of the "borders" of the instruments/voices. Just like you need proper sharpness in pictures, without adequate sharpness of borders/edges in sound reproduction, there are no strong sense of clarity, detail and impact of that typical audiophile sound and your Vega has plenty but not excessive of those. My Gungnir seems lacking in this area. It seems to embody ambience well and have some natural, organic sense of presentation. I like voices and cello from the Gungnir very much. But overall I feel I need a Vega-like DAC as well. They are not interchangeable. 

Mine in it's native environment:

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #11,119 of 18,762

Well, I met up with a couple guys this past Sunday - I had my Auralic stack and modded TH900's, and my friend had his stock TH900's.....hooked up the Gungir to my Taurus, and the TH900's did very well. We also had the chance to hook up both TH900's to my friend's Unison Research tube amp - fed from the Auralic Vega DAC - very, very nice sound! 

How did the modded TH900 fare against the stock TH900? :)

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #11,120 of 18,762

Mine in it's native environment:

Sweet setup A.V
beerchug.gif
 (nice to see some Naim in the mix) 

Currently I am really enjoying my Naim DAC-V1 connected to my Bryston BHA-1.

The Naim is by no means a detail monster but a very musical DAC allowing that famous Naim PRaT to shine through.....helps to counter balance the tendency of the Bryston to be very accurate (some may say   analytical or overly accurate)

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #11,121 of 18,762

Sweet setup A.V
beerchug.gif
 (nice to see some Naim in the mix) 

Currently I am really enjoying my Naim DAC-V1 connected to my Bryston BHA-1.

The Naim is by no means a detail monster but a very musical DAC allowing that famous Naim PRaT to shine through.....helps to counter balance the tendency of the Bryston to be very accurate (some may say   analytical or overly accurate)

That is so funny - the Naim DAC-V1 was a piece I was heavily considering - I bought the NAP100 to power my speakers, but I never got a chance to listen to the V1....I'm sure I would have enjoyed it! I was nearly sold on the Metrum Octave or Teddy Pardo DAC and Naim Head Amp.....just didn't have a chance to audition.....heard the ARALiC equipment and was sold....

How did the modded TH900 fare against the stock TH900? :)

I need to update the other thread :) They did very well......of course the mid range was much more forward in the mix, I felt the lower bass notes were a tad cleaner, but still present, and both guys mentioned more treble energy with the modded phones. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #11,122 of 18,762

I need to update the other thread :) They did very well......of course the mid range was much more forward in the mix, I felt the lower bass notes were a tad cleaner, but still present, and both guys mentioned more treble energy with the modded phones. 

Awesome! I look forward to your update on the mods thread!

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #11,123 of 18,762
Had a question regarding the TH900 stock cable. Is it a cable that simply can have the connector removed and reterminated to a 4-pin balanced XLR or does the TH900 require a whole entire new balanced cable to be hardwired to the TH900 drivers?

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #11,124 of 18,762
  Had a question regarding the TH900 stock cable. Is it a cable that simply can have the connector removed and reterminated to a 4-pin balanced XLR or does the TH900 require a whole entire new balanced cable to be hardwired to the TH900 drivers?

You can have the connector removed and reterminated--I've had this done myself. There are 4 wires inside that will allow you to go balanced.

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #11,125 of 18,762

Like @stjj89 just said, you can have it reterminated without issue. I had mine done recently by @PETEREK actually. You can see the photos that he took of the finished job on the last page in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/11100#post_11927054

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #11,126 of 18,762
My view is if your not wanting to roll tubes go for a neutral sounding amp like a Auralic Taurus Mk.II or GSX-mk2 and go with colour or not with source

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #11,127 of 18,762
  My view is if your not wanting to roll tubes go for a neutral sounding amp like a Auralic Taurus Mk.II or GSX-mk2 and go with colour or not with source

Interesting! Is there a reason why you think coloration should be added with the source? I've likewise heard people say that DACs should be neutral, and amps are where color should be added.

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #11,128 of 18,762

Interesting! Is there a reason why you think coloration should be added with the source? I've likewise heard people say that DACs should be neutral, and amps are where color should be added.

It's just my view, but in saying that most SS amps that are regarded high-end are praised for their neutrality like active gain between source and monitor.

Most people have multiple sources so having a coloured amp speaking for myself anyway, isn't ideal unless its for a specific build

Users who are viewing this thread

Back