Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 9, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #10,726 of 18,761

I think amping makes a big deal on TH-900's. On Schiit Asgard 2 they sounded very good, but also tame and polite. Bakoon on the other hand really woke the beast in them. Now they're finished chewing bubblegum and ready to kick ass!

Yeah bakoon is a endgame amp to be sure.

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #10,727 of 18,761
  I wasn't using my TH900s too much lately but I've found a new love for them since I started using Tidal streaming. For whatever reason, there's a synergy there, with tighter bass, fuller mids, no glare and sweet highs, and some can't-describe musicality that's just right.
A combination of continuity and texture in vocals and sustained notes. System Windows PC(w/Tidal)-->Chord Hugo--via USB 3.0--> Stealth interconnects-->Rudistor RP010B amp-->TH900.

I use Tidal (really like it, way better than Apple Music). What you are hearing is the fact that some Windows sound processing is occurring as I understand it when you are streaming via the browser your DAC is getting the Windows managed signal. Can anybody confirm this to be the case? I know you can get a Windows driver for JRiver that will take the stream and allow you to use JRiver, but I am still unclear if even doing so still engages Windows sound management.

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #10,728 of 18,761

I use Tidal (really like it, way better than Apple Music). What you are hearing is the fact that some Windows sound processing is occurring as I understand it when you are streaming via the browser your DAC is getting the Windows managed signal. Can anybody confirm this to be the case? I know you can get a Windows driver for JRiver that will take the stream and allow you to use JRiver, but I am still unclear if even doing so still engages Windows sound management.

Not to derail but you have Tidal. I just got it, the high rez version, and don't really care for it. Often it is edgy and thin sounding compared to my hi res I have on hard drive. It sounds like mp3 low res even though it is set to hi res and the Hugo indicates it is getting the correct signal. I contacted Tidal but they don't respond. 

On the TH900, great phones. Glad I got them. They sound very good out of the micro zotl. 

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #10,729 of 18,761

That's new to me. I'm using the Tidal Player directly by the way, not a browser, if that matters. Thanks. 
I'm using the Chord driver for 44.1-384khz. After further listening by the way, I enjoy the HE1000 (running balanced) as the best headphone in this setup. The bass is clearer. 

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #10,730 of 18,761

Not to derail but you have Tidal. I just got it, the high rez version, and don't really care for it. Often it is edgy and thin sounding compared to my hi res I have on hard drive. It sounds like mp3 low res even though it is set to hi res and the Hugo indicates it is getting the correct signal. I contacted Tidal but they don't respond. 

On the TH900, great phones. Glad I got them. They sound very good out of the micro zotl. 

I can't hear a difference between lossless (they don't offer high resolution files as far as I know) and the 320 files. Again, if you are using a browser then my assumption remains that you are hearing Windows sound management in your stream where your hard drive files I assume get played through a bitperfect player of some flavor may account for the differences you are hearing.

As I am only now getting into streaming audio I'm not sure whether or not there is typically any audio quality issues with streaming and whether or not using wireless further impacts audio quality. I'm pleased with Tidal, but I don't really use it for super high-fidelity listening at this point. I think the sound quality is quite good and I love how easy the interface is to use and that I can easily discover new music. Hated Apple Music. Horrible interface, and in typical Apple fashion they assume you are an idiot who can't think for yourself and that you need Apple to decide things for you. Without a doubt Tidal is as vastly superior interface and MUCH, MUCH easier to use. My Apple loving friend came over all happy that I was going to try Music. After about 30 minutes of playing around with it together he agreed that switching back to Tidal was the way to go. He has already done so.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #10,731 of 18,761
  That's new to me. I'm using the Tidal Player directly by the way, not a browser, if that matters. Thanks. 
I'm using the Chord driver for 44.1-384khz. After further listening by the way, I enjoy the HE1000 (running balanced) as the best headphone in this setup. The bass is clearer. 

I'm not sure how it works when you use the desktop application. If you can't configure it and tell it to use the Chord drivers do we know whether or not it skips your default drivers and still uses Windows sound management? I really don't know the answer to this?

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #10,733 of 18,761
  I asked around, and I was told that Microsoft will run things thru its Mixer processor if you don't pick a device driver (like the Chord) and somehow declare it Exclusive in your player.

Does Tidal allow this? I installed the desktop at work so I'm not sure if you can or not.

Jul 10, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #10,735 of 18,761
  Not that I can see, but, regardless, Tidal has the best streaming sound I've heard.

Yes, I find the sound quality even at 320 quite good so no complaints on my part.

Jul 11, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #10,736 of 18,761
Jul 11, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #10,737 of 18,761
when will th x7 be released how long is waiting time

I would bet it will be in mid fall, October or early November. I would love it to be September, but that is wishful thinking.

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #10,738 of 18,761
Does anyone know if I can use an apogee duet safely with this hp?
I copied the specs from the website

Features:
First professional stereo audio interface for iPad
Works with GarageBand, Auria, MultiTrack; Any Core Audio compatible app on iOS
Works with GarageBand, Logic, Pro Tools, Ableton; Any Core Audio compatible app on Mac
USB 2.0 Mac and iOS audio interface
2 analog inputs:
Combination Line (balanced +20dBu max)
Mic/Instrument (+20dBu/+14dBu max)
2 Microphone preamps with up to 75dB of gain
Selectable 48v phantom power, Soft Limit and phase invert
4 analog outputs:
2 Balanced line outputs, +20 dBu maximum output level
1 Independent 1/4” stereo headphone output
MIDI connection (Core MIDI compatible; USB-A type connector)
A/D and D/A conversion at 24-bit/192kHz
Controller knob selects function, sets input and output level
Top panel high resolution OLED display
Two assignable top panel touch pads to control:
Mute speakers, headphones or all outputs
Dim speakers, headphones or all outputs
Sum to mono speakers, headphones or all outputs
Assign headphones to outputs 1-2, 3-4 or low latency mixer
Clear Meters
Apogee’s Maestro (Mac & iOS) app for advanced control
Legendary Apogee sound quality
Designed in California – Made in the U.S.A.
Mic Pre:
EIN: 128dB (un-weighted) @ 60dB, 150Ohm input
Max input level: +20dBu
Input impedance: 3KOhm
Hi-Z:
Max input level 14 dBu
Input impedance: >2MOhm
A/D conversion:
Max input level (+4dBu ref): +20dBu
Max input level (-10dBV ref): +6dBV
Input impedance: 5KOhm
Freq resp 20 Hz -20Khz: > +/-0.2dB (@44.1Khz)
Rel. THD + N: -106dB (@ 96Khz)
Dyn. Range: 114dB (A-weighted)
D/A conversion:
Max output level (+4dBu ref): +20dBu
Max output level (-10dBV ref): +6dBV
Line output impedance: 90 Ohm
Max output level headphones: 19dBu
HPH output impedance 30 Ohm.
Freq resp 20Hz -20 Khz: > +/- 0.05dB (@44.1Khz)
Rel. THD+N : -113dB (@96Khz)
Dyn Range: 123dB (A-weighted)

I've read that it's no good to use it with a lyr or Valhalla.

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #10,739 of 18,761
Does anyone know if I can use an apogee duet safely with this hp?
I copied the specs from the website

Features:
First professional stereo audio interface for iPad
Works with GarageBand, Auria, MultiTrack; Any Core Audio compatible app on iOS
Works with GarageBand, Logic, Pro Tools, Ableton; Any Core Audio compatible app on Mac
USB 2.0 Mac and iOS audio interface
2 analog inputs:
Combination Line (balanced +20dBu max)
Mic/Instrument (+20dBu/+14dBu max)
2 Microphone preamps with up to 75dB of gain
Selectable 48v phantom power, Soft Limit and phase invert
4 analog outputs:
2 Balanced line outputs, +20 dBu maximum output level
1 Independent 1/4” stereo headphone output
MIDI connection (Core MIDI compatible; USB-A type connector)
A/D and D/A conversion at 24-bit/192kHz
Controller knob selects function, sets input and output level
Top panel high resolution OLED display
Two assignable top panel touch pads to control:
Mute speakers, headphones or all outputs
Dim speakers, headphones or all outputs
Sum to mono speakers, headphones or all outputs
Assign headphones to outputs 1-2, 3-4 or low latency mixer
Clear Meters
Apogee’s Maestro (Mac & iOS) app for advanced control
Legendary Apogee sound quality
Designed in California – Made in the U.S.A.
Mic Pre:
EIN: 128dB (un-weighted) @ 60dB, 150Ohm input
Max input level: +20dBu
Input impedance: 3KOhm
Hi-Z:
Max input level 14 dBu
Input impedance: >2MOhm
A/D conversion:
Max input level (+4dBu ref): +20dBu
Max input level (-10dBV ref): +6dBV
Input impedance: 5KOhm
Freq resp 20 Hz -20Khz: > +/-0.2dB (@44.1Khz)
Rel. THD + N: -106dB (@ 96Khz)
Dyn. Range: 114dB (A-weighted)
D/A conversion:
Max output level (+4dBu ref): +20dBu
Max output level (-10dBV ref): +6dBV
Line output impedance: 90 Ohm
Max output level headphones: 19dBu
HPH output impedance 30 Ohm.
Freq resp 20Hz -20 Khz: > +/- 0.05dB (@44.1Khz)
Rel. THD+N : -113dB (@96Khz)
Dyn Range: 123dB (A-weighted)

I've read that it's no good to use it with a lyr or Valhalla.

Not sure what you mean?  Safe for the TH900 or for the Duet?  You can certainly drive the TH900 with the Duet.  Use low levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back