Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 7, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #10,231 of 18,765

Thanks guys, you're more or less confirming what I was thinking, but some other posts in the respective threads made me doubt.

You guessed it right, poorly recorded rock is something I could use another headphone for.
You recommend the RS1 and though I'm not a grado fan (owned one of the top models and tried all the others) I will try the RS1e again in August.
But wouldn't my recabled HD650 do just as well for the same music? Or any others you recommend for that music? (Yep, L3000, but can't seem to find a decent one anymore.)

Then there is classical (violins, Baroque) which may benefit from another phone as well. Top choice SR009 with a nicey pricey amp? Does that thing have enough bass? I do like to hear the full spectrum when I listen to classical. Any other recommendations here?

HD600 or DT880 are nice for rock, and the NAD HP50 might work for you nicely as well.

May 7, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #10,233 of 18,765
  A question to all of those who love the Fostex or Lawton more than any other phone they had and find it even outclasses some other well known top cans like I do.

Have any of you heard the Ultrasone Signature Pro or Philips Fidelio X2 and would you recommend either of those to me. Why or why not?

My musical preferences are older hard-rock styles, classical, vocal, and anything with acoustic or electric strings actually. I don't care for EDM. Some of my older music is badly recorded, a lot is in highres.

These cans would only be used at home with good amps for music, sometimes for a movie.

I have been reading a bit on the forums on both but as usually it makes my head spin from the contradicting views.

Sig Pros are very fast and high energy, similar to the TH900. Not quite as spacious sounding, but possibly more "neutral." Contrary to Mortalcoil's experience, I find that Sig Pros scale much more dramatically than the TH900. I've had multiple changes in my chain while owning Sig Pros, and the change is always immediately perceptible.

However, that doesn't mean I necessarily think the Ultrasone is better. For my needs, at this moment, it makes an awesome all-rounder, and it does work well with old/bad recordings. But I think the TH900 would replace it if it were a more portable/durable option. I also REALLY liked the ZMF Blackwood, which is another outstanding all-rounder. It couldn't quite unseat my Sig Pros, but if the chair were unoccupied, I'd be seriously considering it.

Sorry, I haven't head any Philips stuff.

While the Sig Pro is a very very good hp I really think it excels at EDM.  For Rock it does well also although IMO I find it a darker sounding hp where bass is its real strongsuit.  If you are looking for  a more "mid centric" sound keep looking.

My opinions on the Sig have changed somewhat since owning the 900, meaning that at one time I felt the Sig represented itself as a great all rounder, not so much anymore.  IMO it doesn't scale as well with upgraded gear in the chain where as the 900 does.

Don't get me wrong though, for poorly recorded music the Sig is a gem.

Bottom line : If you are looking for that "Audiophile Sparkle" in your sound and really enjoy Rock guitar keep looking.

I'm quoting you just because your scaling impressions were so opposite to mine and it bamboozles me. :p I did think the TH900s were definitely better at the base level, but my impression was that a higher end chain lessened the gap between the two. Granted, this was only with a couple sources at a meet setting, but I did do a lot of A-B'ing while I was there.

May 8, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #10,234 of 18,765

While the Sig Pro is a very very good hp I really think it excels at EDM.  For Rock it does well also although IMO I find it a darker sounding hp where bass is its real strongsuit.  If you are looking for  a more "mid centric" sound keep looking.

My opinions on the Sig have changed somewhat since owning the 900, meaning that at one time I felt the Sig represented itself as a great all rounder, not so much anymore.  IMO it doesn't scale as well with upgraded gear in the chain where as the 900 does.

Don't get me wrong though, for poorly recorded music the Sig is a gem.

Bottom line : If you are looking for that "Audiophile Sparkle" in your sound and really enjoy Rock guitar keep looking.

I'm quoting you just because your scaling impressions were so opposite to mine and it bamboozles me. :p I did think the TH900s were definitely better at the base level, but my impression was that a higher end chain lessened the gap between the two. Granted, this was only with a couple sources at a meet setting, but I did do a lot of A-B'ing while I was there.

Fair enough Levaix.

Having lived with the Sig Pro for just over 3 years now (very enjoyable years I might add) I have just come to this new realization.  I am basing it primarily on the fact that during this 3 year period I have used a Lavry DA-11 for DAC duty however just recently was able to acquire a Naim DAC-V1.

I find the Naim to have better imaging and of course PRaT as well as other attributes.  I am finding that the 900 is scaling nicely as well as the 800 yet the Sig still seems to remain what it always was (is) perhaps with a tad more detail.      
Not that this is a con to the Sig Pro, it could once again prove that the Sig Pro itself is comfortable in many situations and could probably be considered an easy match for many system setups.  IMO of course
beerchug.gif

Still a big fan of the Sig Pro. 

May 8, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #10,235 of 18,765

Fair enough Levaix.

Having lived with the Sig Pro for just over 3 years now (very enjoyable years I might add) I have just come to this new realization.  I am basing it primarily on the fact that during this 3 year period I have used a Lavry DA-11 for DAC duty however just recently was able to acquire a Naim DAC-V1.

I find the Naim to have better imaging and of course PRaT as well as other attributes.  I am finding that the 900 is scaling nicely as well as the 800 yet the Sig still seems to remain what it always was (is) perhaps with a tad more detail.      
Not that this is a con to the Sig Pro, it could once again prove that the Sig Pro itself is comfortable in many situations and could probably be considered an easy match for many system setups.  IMO of course
beerchug.gif

Still a big fan of the Sig Pro. 

Double fair enough! 
beerchug.gif
 And I really don't have a whole lot of experience with the TH900 on different setups. The main thing that happened to me was when I compared the TH900 to my Sig Pros on my old rig (Aune T1 DAC and Purity Audio KICAS) I was ready to cry over how much better it sounded. But then I took both over to another guy's GS-X setup, and the Sig Pros had a fighting chance. And you know what, I can actually imagine the DAC portion benefiting the TH900 and a stronger amp more drastically affecting the Sig Pro.

May 8, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #10,236 of 18,765
Originally Posted by Levaix /img/forum/go_quote.gif 

And you know what, I can actually imagine the DAC portion benefiting the TH900 and a stronger amp more drastically affecting the Sig Pro.

Good point Levaix.

May 8, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #10,239 of 18,765
Double fair enough! :beerchug:  And I really don't have a whole lot of experience with the TH900 on different setups. The main thing that happened to me was when I compared the TH900 to my Sig Pros on my old rig (Aune T1 DAC and Purity Audio KICAS) I was ready to cry over how much better it sounded. But then I took both over to another guy's GS-X setup, and the Sig Pros had a fighting chance. And you know what,I can actually imagine the DAC portion benefiting the TH900 and a stronger amp more drastically affecting the Sig Pro.

Why is that?

May 8, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #10,241 of 18,765
Double fair enough! 
beerchug.gif
 And I really don't have a whole lot of experience with the TH900 on different setups. The main thing that happened to me was when I compared the TH900 to my Sig Pros on my old rig (Aune T1 DAC and Purity Audio KICAS) I was ready to cry over how much better it sounded. But then I took both over to another guy's GS-X setup, and the Sig Pros had a fighting chance. And you know what, I can actually imagine the DAC portion benefiting the TH900 and a stronger amp more drastically affecting the Sig Pro.

Why is that?

1.5 Tesla? 
cool.gif

May 8, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #10,244 of 18,765
auralic Taurus mk. 2. best SS amp I've had, better than the gsx mk.1, though I know the mk.2 is much better.

Thanks, How about one of the Violectric amps? On another thread someone mentioned that the reason I was hearing high treble issues was because the HDVA600 and Gungnir probably weren't a good combo together. I don't want to make a mistake twice and want an amp that will go well with schiit gungnir ...no idea how to figure that out lol

May 8, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #10,245 of 18,765
in my experience the taurus mk. 2 will reveal whatever source you are using. the taurus isn't warm or analytical...i found it to be quite neutral. the single-ended output is also very good, as good as the balanced out. 

i don't know about the violectric as i've never heard them. probably really good from all the reports i've read, but i can only comment on the stuff i've actually used/owned. good luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back