Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 6, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #10,216 of 18,765
Has anyone done an A/B listening test comparing the stock Fostex TH900 to the Lawton Audio Level 1 Tune up with damping and new angled ear pad mod? Before I shell out the money want to know if the pads really make a noticeable and better difference from stock! What about best cables?

I replied in the other thread.

May 6, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #10,221 of 18,765
Ah, I definitely don't want to mess with it if it's a difficult thing. Just looking to get the most juice out of my HDVA600 that already has balanced ports. I'll report back how the HDVA600 and the TH900 pair up. I'm excited for the match up. An amp designed around the HD800 clarity/detail used with this more colored headphone. Only concern is the high impendence by the senn amp

May 7, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #10,222 of 18,765
This is my only headphone, but I do absolutely love it.

Can't go wrong with the TH900 as a sole headphone, unless you specifically demand more forward mids.

May 7, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #10,223 of 18,765
A question to all of those who love the Fostex or Lawton more than any other phone they had and find it even outclasses some other well known top cans like I do.

Have any of you heard the Ultrasone Signature Pro or Philips Fidelio X2 and would you recommend either of those to me. Why or why not?

My musical preferences are older hard-rock styles, classical, vocal, and anything with acoustic or electric strings actually. I don't care for EDM. Some of my older music is badly recorded, a lot is in highres.

These cans would only be used at home with good amps for music, sometimes for a movie.

I have been reading a bit on the forums on both but as usually it makes my head spin from the contradicting views.

May 7, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #10,224 of 18,765
I was listening to Grant Green's Creature last night along with a wide variety of music.  Really had me smiling.  The TH900's were good early on, but I wasn't that moved....good but didn't make the ol' eyes water with joy, if you will.  I have to say I've really come to like these headphones and I see them staying in a small stable of cans for me.  The replacement Stax SR-007A's are now headed back to me and out of the KGST amp the 007's are pretty damn remarkable.  Looking forward to matching these two against each other.  I fully expect I'll keep them both....

Rock on!

biggrin.gif

HS

May 7, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #10,225 of 18,765
Has anyone done an A/B listening test comparing the stock Fostex TH900 to the Lawton Audio Level 1 Tune up with damping and new angled ear pad mod? Before I shell out the money want to know if the pads really make a noticeable and better difference from stock! What about best cables?

I haven't had a chance to listen to the Lawton mods and while some swear by it just as many scoff at the idea.  My suggestion to you is to try the 900 as it was meant to be in its pure and natural sans mods form for now.
  Are there any aftermarket cables for the TH900? I just ordered my pair and will be using a Senn HDVA600 AMP that offers Balanced in/out so would love to recable the th900 if possible? Or is it good as is?

Almost same answer as above.  The 900 has some killer cables already included stock.  Live with it for a while and let your own ears decide if such an "upgrade" is warranted. 

A question to all of those who love the Fostex or Lawton more than any other phone they had and find it even outclasses some other well known top cans like I do.

Have any of you heard the Ultrasone Signature Pro or Philips Fidelio X2 and would you recommend either of those to me. Why or why not?

My musical preferences are older hard-rock styles, classical, vocal, and anything with acoustic or electric strings actually. I don't care for EDM. Some of my older music is badly recorded, a lot is in highres.

Here's my take on this scenario.

While the Sig Pro is a very very good hp I really think it excels at EDM.  For Rock it does well also although IMO I find it a darker sounding hp where bass is its real strongsuit.  If you are looking for  a more "mid centric" sound keep looking.

My opinions on the Sig have changed somewhat since owning the 900, meaning that at one time I felt the Sig represented itself as a great all rounder, not so much anymore.  IMO it doesn't scale as well with upgraded gear in the chain where as the 900 does.

Don't get me wrong though, for poorly recorded music the Sig is a gem.

Bottom line : If you are looking for that "Audiophile Sparkle" in your sound and really enjoy Rock guitar keep looking.

Never heard the X2 but Philips in general has always been a "meh" brand for me (personally wouldn't buy it ...nothing personal)

Hope some of this helps. (PS : I'm sure a pair of RS-1 can still rock out)

May 7, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #10,226 of 18,765
  I was listening to Grant Green's Creature last night along with a wide variety of music.  Really had me smiling.

Rock on!

biggrin.gif

HS

Good post !

Dare I say RS-1 also ?

LOL who knows from the ashes the RS-1 may rise again........especially for Rock
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 7, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #10,227 of 18,765

These cans would only be used at home with good amps for music, sometimes for a movie.

I have been reading a bit on the forums on both but as usually it makes my head spin from the contradicting views.

I just returned a pair of X2s to Amazon ($239, used like new).  For the money, they're fantastic.  They have a sound signature similar to the TH900; it's just the TH900 does it better (as you would assume, considering the price difference).  I would call them a poor man's TH900.

May 7, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #10,228 of 18,765
Hey guys quick question, I have the HDVA600 amp and on the back is a little screw that I can turn to put gain high or low. This topic always tends to confuse me. With the TH900 would I want to set the gain on the HDVA to its lowest setting or highest setting?

May 7, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #10,229 of 18,765
  Hey guys quick question, I have the HDVA600 amp and on the back is a little screw that I can turn to put gain high or low. This topic always tends to confuse me. With the TH900 would I want to set the gain on the HDVA to its lowest setting or highest setting?

The TH-900 will have enough with low gain as it's sensitive and easy to drive. What's more, you'll have more use of the travel on the volume dial.
I'm pro low gain usually, due to the kind of cans I use. But you can always experiment with it and see what you like best.

May 7, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #10,230 of 18,765

I haven't had a chance to listen to the Lawton mods and while some swear by it just as many scoff at the idea.  My suggestion to you is to try the 900 as it was meant to be in its pure and natural sans mods form for now.

Almost same answer as above.  The 900 has some killer cables already included stock.  Live with it for a while and let your own ears decide if such an "upgrade" is warranted. 

Here's my take on this scenario.

While the Sig Pro is a very very good hp I really think it excels at EDM.  For Rock it does well also although IMO I find it a darker sounding hp where bass is its real strongsuit.  If you are looking for  a more "mid centric" sound keep looking.

My opinions on the Sig have changed somewhat since owning the 900, meaning that at one time I felt the Sig represented itself as a great all rounder, not so much anymore.  IMO it doesn't scale as well with upgraded gear in the chain where as the 900 does.

Don't get me wrong though, for poorly recorded music the Sig is a gem.

Bottom line : If you are looking for that "Audiophile Sparkle" in your sound and really enjoy Rock guitar keep looking.

Never heard the X2 but Philips in general has always been a "meh" brand for me (personally wouldn't buy it ...nothing personal)

Hope some of this helps. (PS : I'm sure a pair of RS-1 can still rock out)

I just returned a pair of X2s to Amazon ($239, used like new).  For the money, they're fantastic.  They have a sound signature similar to the TH900; it's just the TH900 does it better (as you would assume, considering the price difference).  I would call them a poor man's TH900.

Thanks guys, you're more or less confirming what I was thinking, but some other posts in the respective threads made me doubt.

You guessed it right, poorly recorded rock is something I could use another headphone for.
You recommend the RS1 and though I'm not a grado fan (owned one of the top models and tried all the others) I will try the RS1e again in August.
But wouldn't my recabled HD650 do just as well for the same music? Or any others you recommend for that music? (Yep, L3000, but can't seem to find a decent one anymore.)

Then there is classical (violins, Baroque) which may benefit from another phone as well. Top choice SR009 with a nicey pricey amp? Does that thing have enough bass? I do like to hear the full spectrum when I listen to classical. Any other recommendations here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back