Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 3, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #10,186 of 18,761
I'm looking for a dac still. Using my AK240 as a source. I'm considering Schiit, I think at top of my list. Might try a couple of dacs from Amazon this week, see what I like.

the ak240 has dual dac chips. you already have a seriously high-end dap that's portable right there. what more do you need?

May 3, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #10,188 of 18,761
Just wondering if I can get more/better out of a desktop dac as opposed to a portable device.

Most assuredly you can. The debate will always be is just enough really able to maximize performance. The purely objective camp insist that as long as minimal performance requirements are satisfied, having some extra headroom is inaudible. Personally I don't believe this; however, I also don't suggest that the differences are extreme. But yes, in my view there is value to having an amplifier that isn't operating at it's upper performance threshold and a well designed DAC can also make a difference.

All of this said, portable devices are getting better, and quite significantly so which means that it is quite possible to invest in very solid portable gear that can actually perform exceedingly well. I guess your questions needs more context in what do you mean as an example of portable gear? A decent little device like a FiiO E17 or the Oppo HA 2 for instance are quite good, but I don't think they will take down a decent desktop rig. Now once you start getting into the deeper end of the portable pool these differences shrink if not disappear altogether.

While you will constantly hear people say price has nothing to do with quality, while that is sometimes the case, quite often price will matter as it is often (not always) a reflection of the design skills, research and parts that went into a product. Does a $1000 DAP sound 10 times better than a $100 DAP? Pretty hard to quantify these type of differences, but I feel pretty safe saying a well designed and appointed piece of gear that took $1000 to deck out will perform better than a no frills, but decent sounding budget option. Again, this may not always be the case, or there will be varying degree of effect size for the cost of a product, but less isn't always more.

I think we all want there to be no difference between a FiiO X1 and a Sony ZX2 as we would all save a ton of cash, but that just isn't reality. My advice is to be honest with yourself and decide, how much can I afford to spend without being irresponsible? What are my needs? If it is very important to you to feel that you are getting the best sound you can afford then the extra investment it takes to get those diminishing returns is worth it to you, and who cares what somebody else thinks. You can have great sound for a few hundred dollars these days, there are no absolutes in this hobby. It would be nice if there was mind you.

Really long winded way of saying it depends what you mean, and who you ask!

May 3, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #10,189 of 18,761
Great post and spot on. I'm just leary because I don't have the best ears at all... If I did spend another $500 and not hear any difference, I'd hardly be disappointed as I am almost expecting to that. OTOH, if I did, I'd be extremely happy.

May 3, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #10,190 of 18,761
Great post and spot on. I'm just leary because I don't have the best ears at all... If I did spend another $500 and not hear any difference, I'd hardly be disappointed as I am almost expecting to that. OTOH, if I did, I'd be extremely happy.

Well, I think if your $500 is spent on well researched gear with good synergy among the various parts of the audio chain, the money will be well spent. I am also quite happy accepting that there is some expectation bias at play. Sometimes the more expensive gear also looks damn good, and like it or not, that will help our brain perceive the sound as better. So even the placebo effect actually in medicine is considered a genuine effect. I am quite sure a little well spent investment in quality designs and parts help sound, and when the design of the product also stimulates our senses, it all is part of the big picture, and sound perception and enjoyment is a big picture thing in our brain so I'm all for it.

This is a great hobby with so much great gear up and down the price ranges. There has never been a better time to be into audio than now. And hell, as a spin off, it is good for the economy to spend responsibly. Win win I say. as long as we aren't going into smothering debt or spending the grocery or mortgage money I say you only live once.

May 3, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #10,191 of 18,761
I agree, it's such a rewarding hobby... probably my favorite.  Regardless of your budget, you can find awesome options out there. And this is a great community filled with awesome, kind people. I'd never be able to try all the headphones I have without this website.

There's almost too much out there, where it can be frustrating because you don't know which direction to go. Still, I agree with @Sonic Defender, it's such a great time to be here on head-fi, with so many great headphones out there (and amps/dacs) that weren't even here, say 10 years ago.

If you like technology, it seems like the right time to be alive, also. We've progressed so far, so quickly. Remember dial up internet? That wasn't even that long ago.

May 3, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #10,192 of 18,761
  I agree, it's such a rewarding hobby... probably my favorite.  Regardless of your budget, you can find awesome options out there. And this is a great community filled with awesome, kind people. I'd never be able to try all the headphones I have without this website.

There's almost too much out there, where it can be frustrating because you don't know which direction to go. Still, I agree with @Sonic Defender, it's such a great time to be here on head-fi, with so many great headphones out there (and amps/dacs) that weren't even here, say 10 years ago.

If you like technology, it seems like the right time to be alive, also. We've progressed so far, so quickly. Remember dial up internet? That wasn't even that long ago.

Technology is advancing scary fast for sure. I'm almost 47 so old enough to remember the world well before the Internet even existed, but young enough to have been reared as part of the Internet generation for the most part. Yes I do remember dial up. My god I can't believe just how much time we spent waiting for web pages to load!

May 3, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #10,193 of 18,761
bought a pre-loved TH900 a few months back & while music is sweet, i always found the bass a bit too boomy. did some research & ordered a tune up kit from Lawton Audio & though received it last week, i only found the time today to just finished the install 10mins ago.

listening to it now, i have to say it does make a difference. the exaggerated bottom is lessened & the mids are ever so slightly brought up front. basically, while i cant say the TH900 is the best closed phone out there, it's definitely the best ive heard. bass is still big mind u but the 2 faults (loose bottom & flat mids) are much in check now.

for $55, its a worthwhile investment for anyone who finds similar "faults" in the fostex as i did. for a while there, i thought of selling the TH900 but its a keeper now.

May 3, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #10,194 of 18,761
  bought a pre-loved TH900 a few months back & while music is sweet, i always found the bass a bit too boomy. did some research & ordered a tune up kit from Lawton Audio & though received it last week, i only found the time today to just finished the install 10mins ago.

listening to it now, i have to say it does make a difference. the exaggerated bottom is lessened & the mids are ever so slightly brought up front. basically, while i cant say the TH900 is the best closed phone out there, it's definitely the best ive heard. bass is still big mind u but the 2 faults (loose bottom & flat mids) are much in check now.

for $55, its a worthwhile investment for anyone who finds similar "faults" in the fostex as i did. for a while there, i thought of selling the TH900 but its a keeper now.

If I find these issues I will simply use a parametric EQ to cut the offending frequencies down. Not sure if that will do as good a job as the Lawton kit, but it should, plus I can attenuate it. What does the Lawton mod require? Is it reversible?

May 3, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #10,196 of 18,761

If I find these issues I will simply use a parametric EQ to cut the offending frequencies down. Not sure if that will do as good a job as the Lawton kit, but it should, plus I can attenuate it. What does the Lawton mod require? Is it reversible?

am somewhat of a purist. i like a set of cans or speakers to sound good flat. that way i know i have the right stuff. once i start with the eq, im not sure where to stop. & what about other my other headphones/speakers?? 
eek.gif

lawtons mod took about a 1/2hr or so for me (2 left thumbs & all) so im guessing its not very hard at all for most ppl. i would say its easily reversible so long as one understands that they are dealing with adhesive tape very close to the drivers. im sure anyone who's into modding can do similar but why bother. material's not much money but its the r&d that i dont have the time nor patience for. 

its definitely worth the $55 for me.

May 3, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #10,197 of 18,761
@warrior - it's your money to spend as you like. you already own a high end dap that contains dual dac chips which has received rave reviews and a nice woo head amp.

if you're thinking about getting a separate dac then why don't you audition a few with your th900 and compare them to your ak240? then you can make an informed decision about whether buying another dac would be worthwhile.

trust your ears. if you can hear an improvement in sound then an upgrade is justifiable but if you don't then you could save yourself some money on an unnecessary audio purchase. hopefully that will confirm in your mind that your current rig is all you need for the th900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back