Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 18, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #9,106 of 18,761
  Llloyd.  I'm a big fan of using your gear exactly as you want and desire.  I use my TH900 at work and smile every day that I do.  I shortened my cable to make it better for office use, and carrying around a portable DAP and amp in my hand..  You might want to consider that if you are walking around while wearing them.  Or if you carry in a backpack.  I also posted a while back about the Pelican case I bought for carrying my TH900 around.  (Although I have no problem taking mine to the office, I DO have a problem leaving them there.)  Enjoy your music in your own way...

Yeah I will likely be using a backpack if I'm walking around with them.  Probably won't get a pelican case.  I have the hifiman case which if they fit I will use.  Otherwise I'll probably find a thickly padded aviation headset bag.  Some of those headsets can be as expensive as the th-900 after all.

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #9,107 of 18,761
The Pelican cases come with "Pick and Pluck" foam.  (Or at least you should purchase one that includes the foam.  They do sell ones that are sans foam.)

What you see are two layers of the pick and pluck foam in a pattern that I call a Spartan Helmet with Maynard 3rd Eye.  Think I will trademark that...  :wink_face:
Bottom layer has an area for the cups and creates a shelf for the band.  Also Inserted the cable termination in the middle area (3rd Eye).
Top layer is an oval shape with particular care at the bottom for the rubber strain relief.

One thing I saw someone commenting on was the rubber strain relief.  I don't seem to have a problem with mine so far.  I keep them in the case when not in use.  Purchased in march of 2014, so almost a year.  When I put them in the case, I bring the two individual cables to the top of the helmet (loosely - don't pull tight) then I loop them around in a circular motion.

I also have to point out that my cable has been shortened to about 5.5 feet, so the entire cable is not curled up in that picture.  I just reattached the truncated section, and it adds 2 more loops to what is shown in the picture.  

Pic of Spartan Helmet with Maynard 3rd Eye...  Otherwise known as TH-900 foam pattern.

Hey Fester - today I made my own Spartan Helmet foam insert for my new TH900! Thanks for sharing the pattern for the Pelican 1300 case - it really is a perfect fit.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #9,108 of 18,761
Hey Fester - today I made my own Spartan Helmet foam insert for my new TH900! Thanks for sharing the pattern for the Pelican 1300 case - it really is a perfect fit.

Oh dang you did way better than what I did.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #9,110 of 18,761
Actually the pic is Fester's case. I copied his pattern for the foam pretty close. These Pelican cases are the real deal!
wink.gif

I find 1300 is bit too small for TH900 but it does the job done :) Love pelican cases.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #9,115 of 18,761
  they are quite tough, I never wear them outside, but I hit them on something pointy and rock hard once which left zero sigh of a scuff or mark

That is actually very good to hear. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #9,116 of 18,761

Happy to help!  This forum has given me so much, that I'm glad when I can give back.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #9,117 of 18,761
  What would be a suitable DAC be for Burson Soloist + TH900? Been reading a lot about Schiit Gungnir, but many mention that the treble is "smoothed over", which may or may not be a good thing. Has anyone heard this particular combo (Gungnir + Soloist)? It really sucks to not easily be able to demo equipment where I live.

Not sure if someone has replied. I have the Soloist paired with a NAD M51. For the price I paid for it (not full retail of course) it is excellent. I am fully satisfied. It works great as I can adjust the volume at the DAC level using the M51 remote. Removes the hassle of fiddling with the Soloist pot, which incidentally is my only gripe with that (Soloist) also excellent product. 

With this chain, I can control the exact volume level for the TH900 for any song at any moment. :) 

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #9,119 of 18,761
I remember the first time I saw this vid a while a go. Made me handle my TH900's with more care and love than ever before. Now, if only Audeze would make a video like this for the LCD line...

I wonder if the process is similar for the Audio-Technica W3000ANV cups...

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #9,120 of 18,761
Got the Burson Conductor today and have been playing around for a few hours with the TH900. I was afraid it would sound harsh and thin with the ESS Sabre chip, but to me it sounds good. Smooth (to my ears), very detailed and goes well with the TH900. Need more testing, but so far it sounds cleaner than my old MF X-Can V8. Much stronger impact which I personally really like. The V8 seemed to be too gentle at low volumes and "unfocused", harsh at loud volumes.

Just some initial impressions. Comparing the V8 to the Conductor directly makes you realise how good the V8 is if you consider it's age, (or rather how easy the TH900 is to drive). I'm sure that the differences would be a lot bigger with more demanding headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back