Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 12, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #9,076 of 18,765
  You guys are killin' me...  I think I need to punt my Z7's and score a pair of these.  Want to wait on an e-stat amp I have coming.  I have too many cans piling up and I'm not using the Z7's.  Hate selling stuff so I'm dragging my feet.  I need to unsubscribe from this love fest...LOL

HS

Do a Blitzkrieg and overpower your inner sloth. Sell everything you don't need and do not want. Do not hoard and drag everything with you. Gives you money you could accumulate for the TH-900.

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #9,077 of 18,765

Do a Blitzkrieg and overpower your inner sloth. Sell everything you don't need and do not want. Do not hoard and drag everything with you. Gives you money you could accumulate for the TH-900.

LOL...love the term Blitzkrieg (wouldn't have appreicated it as much if I were around in the 40's...).  Reminds me of The Ramones.

Yeah, sitting on them isn't going to have them increase in value.  It's more of a space issue for me.  The way my home is wired I don't have a man room.  so I have my stuff in the living room around my recliner.  I need a second side table the wife can live with.  Definitely need to punt the Z7's or gift them to my spoiled 15-yr old (not a good choice on my part...).  Maybe I'll get motivated this weekend and post them on flea-bay.

HS

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #9,078 of 18,765

Sharing my new piece of kit.  I received my Peachtree Audio Decco 65 Integraded Amp on Tuesday.  Dac/Amp.  I'm running the DX50 via coax.  Sounds fantastic to me.  But I know (believe) that it will need a good amount of burn-in.  I'm only at about 10 hours right now.

This is my work setup.  I heard a Peachtree Nova>>TH-900 at the Charlotte meet last year and really liked the sound.  I was originally going to get a Schiit Bifrost and Vahalla 2, but when I saw this on sale for less than the price of both, I jumped on it.

I'll let you know how it progresses.

So it has been about three weeks and a little over 200 hours on the Decco65.  I have been enjoying it immensely.  The sound is very rich and full.  Deep bass.  However, I am not the best to judge if it is tight and controlled bass or not.  I think it is.  I believe that at the beginning, bass sounded a little flabby.  But I think it has tightened up after 200 hours.

Today I brought my AKG702 into work to try it out with the Peachtree. The 702 sounded anemic to me.  I could turn the volume up higher and higher, and it would get louder and louder (but not to the point of pain) and I couldn't get a rich full sound.  I was listening to Hatesong by Porcupine Tree.  Hatesong starts with a tremendous bass line.  I just couldn't get into it.  I could barely hear it.  I changed the 702s out to the TH-900, and listened again.  There it was.  Deep, full, rich bass.  Just like i've been enjoying over the past three weeks.  I immediately started nodding my head.  Getting into it.

Do I think that the Decco65 is a decent match for the TH-900?  Yes.  I do.  However, there isn't a lot of room for volume adjustment.  With the sensitivity of the TH900, useful volume adjustment is about a quarter turn from on volume knob.  After that, it is wayyyyyy to loud.  (With the 702s, I could use about 50% of the volume, or more.)  I find myself wishing that there was a logarithmic pot on the Peachtree.

My setup is FLAC>DX50 (Transport only)>Coax>Decco65>TH-900.

I really do like this setup.  I got a nice DAC and Amp for a clearance price.  My thought process was that this is cheaper than the Schitt separates.  Plus.  If I ever get a HifiMan HE-6, I can run it from the speaker taps.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

the pic is my work setup.  Peachtree as monitor stand and DX50 amp.  Unfortunately, my company has the computer on lockdown, so I can't even add the FLAC capability to the Windows Media Player.  So I'm exclusively DX50 digital coax fed.

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #9,079 of 18,765

LOL...love the term Blitzkrieg (wouldn't have appreicated it as much if I were around in the 40's...).  Reminds me of The Ramones.

Yeah, sitting on them isn't going to have them increase in value.  It's more of a space issue for me.  The way my home is wired I don't have a man room.  so I have my stuff in the living room around my recliner.  I need a second side table the wife can live with.  Definitely need to punt the Z7's or gift them to my spoiled 15-yr old (not a good choice on my part...).  Maybe I'll get motivated this weekend and post them on flea-bay.

HS

Have you considered selling them on Head Fi?  I've bought and sold 70+ items here with no drama or problem.  Much easier than fleabay and you get to help a fellow member out. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #9,080 of 18,765

Have you considered selling them on Head Fi?  I've bought and sold 70+ items here with no drama or problem.  Much easier than fleabay and you get to help a fellow member out. 

I have.  Didn't get much traction here with some nice headphones.  Perhaps because I have not built up much reputation.  Got some false starts here also, but I might just post again for grins.  

HS

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #9,081 of 18,765

5X actually. 

Agree. Too much power. However its 3D and Xbass features make your music even more V shape. It makes your th900 sounds even more th900. I love it. 

Interesting.
smile.gif

Quality-wise, do you think something like the Cayin C5 or Fiio E12 would be similar to the iDSD Micro?

Feb 13, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #9,082 of 18,765
Just ordered my th900 and should receive on Tuesday and join the party. Currently own k812 and pending to find out which tesla dynamic headphone, one open and one closed, actually sounds better to me.....

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #9,083 of 18,765
  So it has been about three weeks and a little over 200 hours on the Decco65.  I have been enjoying it immensely.  The sound is very rich and full.  Deep bass.  However, I am not the best to judge if it is tight and controlled bass or not.  I think it is.  I believe that at the beginning, bass sounded a little flabby.  But I think it has tightened up after 200 hours.

That has been my experience too. By the way, Porcupine Tree + TH900 = audio bliss

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #9,084 of 18,765
  Interesting.
smile.gif

Quality-wise, do you think something like the Cayin C5 or Fiio E12 would be similar to the iDSD Micro?

I own E12 and would love to share my experience. 

First of all C5 and E12 are amps. iDSD is dac+amp. iDSD is able to drive basically everything, has more power. 

Sound wise, iDSD is on whole another level. Compared to iDSD, E12 is just "muddy". Without xbass or 3D, iDSD is pretty neutural. 

Bass boost on E12 is a little bit too much for th900. 

Both E12 and iDSD are bang-for-the-buck!

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #9,085 of 18,765
I recently picked up an ifi idsd micro for portable use, and have been quite impressed with it. Running in normal mode, you get about 1w continuous with swings up to 1.9w, which works beautifully here. I can get the th900's to absolutely slam! The micro isn't the last word in detail, I still like my hp-a8c for that - but I'm very impressed at what this little unit can do.

I've heard both fiio e12 & e17 w/th900 and if you're in the market for a portable, I'd say skip those and go directly to ifi micro dsd instead.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #9,086 of 18,765
I recently picked up an ifi idsd micro for portable use, and have been quite impressed with it. Running in normal mode, you get about 1w continuous with swings up to 1.9w, which works beautifully here. I can get the th900's to absolutely slam! The micro isn't the last word in detail, I still like my hp-a8c for that - but I'm very impressed at what this little unit can do.

I've heard both fiio e12 & e17 w/th900 and if you're in the market for a portable, I'd say skip those and go directly to ifi micro dsd instead.

Which one is more neutral? Hpa8 or micro idsd ?

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #9,087 of 18,765
Both are warm DACs, I wouldn't peg either as neutral. They are more similar than they are different: musical, warm, engaging without being hyper detailed. Both very enjoyable. I *wish* the hp-a8c had the power of the micro's amp section, as the AKM DAC inside is effortless in detail retrieval. I suppose another way to say all that would be:

(IMHO) The hp-a8c DAC matches the th900 perfectly, while the micro's amp powers the th900 perfectly.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #9,088 of 18,765
Does anyone own the TH900 and Sig Pro's... Im literally torn between these two. Mainly listen to a variety of music Pop, Rock, Blues, Electronic, Folk, Metal.

There is a difference of $400 between the headphones here in Australia, but i suppose its not that much once you start spending over 1K for headphones.

Cant seem to find any comparison between both of these headphones. If anyone has both could you drop me a PM or give me a quick run down.

Cheers!

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #9,089 of 18,765
  Does anyone own the TH900 and Sig Pro's... Im literally torn between these two. Mainly listen to a variety of music Pop, Rock, Blues, Electronic, Folk, Metal.

There is a difference of $400 between the headphones here in Australia, but i suppose its not that much once you start spending over 1K for headphones.

Cant seem to find any comparison between both of these headphones. If anyone has both could you drop me a PM or give me a quick run down.

Cheers!

I answered your PM, but in case you haven't read that: I'd take the TH-900s over the Sig Pros (I'm not a fan of them...though they are likely the best Ultrasone headphone I've heard). 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back