Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 16, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #8,746 of 18,765
I can't believe no one is concentrating on the th900 biggest strength in comparison to LCD 3 (which I love)...its bass! This confidence low down and high up gives it tremendous energy and enjoyment when listening. With a little eq to the mid and wow!

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #8,747 of 18,765
Note that the LCD-3C with fazor upgrade is not the same thing as the LCD-3F since the drivers in the F were changed as well.
The LCD-3F is very close to neutral but still a tiny bit smooth in the treble. The TH-900 is however a bit more above neutral when treble is concerned. So it's not like the LCD-3Fs are too dark - the TH900s are a bit bright.

I'm sorry I should made it clear. Drivers got replaced due to faulty drivers on my Original LCD3.

how do they compare for clarity and air?

The TH900 is probably more airy but they both differ in term of clarity. Best way to put it, LCD3 is a genre King and very forgiving with bad recording. Where as the TH900 is very picky with bad recording due to the treble sparkle (that make it appear to be bright with certain listeners).

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #8,749 of 18,765
TH900 + Phonitor is a nice, very detailed and spacious combination with good dynamics. I don't like TH900+V281 on the other hand... but two colleagues at our last meet in Vienna did like the combination. To me its simply too much bass... but maybe I'm a bit sensitive in that regard.

Out of the 2 amp, the phonitor 2 is better at driving a wider range of headphones?

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #8,750 of 18,765
^interesting views. I actually chose the th900 over the LCD3 because to my ears, it was a better all-arounder genre wise. (as paired with the Fostex HPA8). 

Strange, it all depends on tastes then. For me it's hard to enjoy a V-shaped headphone on all genres, or not as much as a neutral headphone...

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #8,751 of 18,765
Well, it depends on what you're looking for when thinking of clarity. As overall transparency, details, textures LCD-3F is superior. The TH900, due to its treble peak does sounds more... fresh aired if you will :)

think i know clarity when i hear it in cans and speakers and it's not just about increased treble. stax have it, my harbeth m30.1s have it and so does the th900. heard a few audeze cans and they sounded kinda thick and closed-in with rolled-off highs. which is cool if that kind of darker, lush presentation does it for you. haven't heard the fazor version tho. yet to hear a planar magnetic can that creates a sense of air around instruments like dynamics do and that includes the abyss.

I'm sorry I should made it clear. Drivers got replaced due to faulty drivers on my Original LCD3.
The TH900 is probably more airy but they both differ in term of clarity. Best way to put it, LCD3 is a genre King and very forgiving with bad recording. Where as the TH900 is very picky with bad recording due to the treble sparkle (that make it appear to be bright with certain listeners).

interesting - thanks

Strange, it all depends on tastes then. For me it's hard to enjoy a V-shaped headphone on all genres, or not as much as a neutral headphone...

not strange - just personal preference is all which is subjective. neutrality is a moving target. folks tend to misuse the term to support their subjective perceptions. that's what i've noticed anyways here and at other audio forums.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #8,752 of 18,765
Why are we comparing closed vs open hp?

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #8,755 of 18,765
That's a VERY nice price. I just ordered mine a couple of days ago for about $1200 from Pricejapan.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #8,756 of 18,765
Because of another user's post in the deals thread and to clarify for subbed Head-Fi'ers, I did someone backtracking and noted the previous TH900 deals throughout the deals thread. If I am not mistaken, this IS the lowest price there has ever been for a completely new TH900 from an authorized retailer. Heck, this even tops a couple open-box deals I saw while searching back through the deals thread!

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #8,757 of 18,765
  I thought potential owners would absolutely love to see this. Run, don't walk, to HeadRoom, and take advantage of the 20% off site-wide sale combined with this current sale before the weekend's time runs out... 

FYI, here's the code: HRNEWS20

Dang... I had to check if they were an Ultrasone dealer, no dice. 
biggrin.gif

I wonder if Fostex is planning something new soon. I've heard numbers thrown around privately concerning the reseller price on these, and... Well, let's just say HeadRoom isn't making much on that sale. lol

EDIT: If I'm doing my math right, the coupon brings the TH600 below $500. INCREDIBLY tempting...

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #8,758 of 18,765
oh man mine already shipped from amazon ($1350), wish i had known about this deal sooner :frowning2:

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #8,759 of 18,765
  oh man mine already shipped from amazon ($1350), wish i had known about this deal sooner :frowning2:

You could reject the package if it's straight from Amazon themselves and get a full refund and buy this in the meantime. For almost 300 bones difference, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's the price of one Sennheiser HD600, a nice midrange amp or a thick stack of CDs and vinyl.

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #8,760 of 18,765
  I thought potential owners would absolutely love to see this. Run, don't walk, to HeadRoom, and take advantage of the 20% off site-wide sale combined with this current sale before the weekend's time runs out... 

FYI, here's the code: HRNEWS20

With that price I could book flight tickets to US and it would probably still be cheaper than what I paid for mine. Now that's a deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back