Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 22, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #7,501 of 18,761

What kind of "nice speakers" would TH900 money get you, I wonder? Assuming it's around the $1500 mark, I'm assuming bookshelf speakers or near-field monitors? I doubt you can get anywhere close to the TH900's low frequency articulation at that price range with those, unless you can include a sub in that budget.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of speakers, particularly active near fielders (used to have Event Opals before I moved to my current residence) but I think the TH900 would be a better choice at that price range. If you had 10 times that money to spare, then yeah, go get yourself a pair of ATCs or Barefoots (plus room treatment) and knock yourself out!!

Artist 5s.  

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #7,503 of 18,761
  Drop the fiancee, that 'll save you enough money to buy a pair of TH-900, B&W 800s and a Ferrari. 
biggrin.gif

Plus, Ferraris come with free 7 year maintenance plans nowadays. Try that with a fiancee. =P

Quote:
  Artist 5s.  

Adam desktop/bookshelf/monitor speakers have really good high frequency extension, but all the 5" models I tried just don't go low enough for me.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #7,505 of 18,761
Ok guys, since I listen to music for fun and not mixing/mastering, it seems TH900s are the best for me. I can go from jazz/classical to Eurodance/trance in a second so I need versatile headphones. Thanks for all the replies.

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #7,506 of 18,761
  Ok guys, since I listen to music for fun and not mixing/mastering, it seems TH900s are the best for me. I can go from jazz/classical to Eurodance/trance in a second so I need versatile headphones. Thanks for all the replies.

Good choice IMO 

If you can swing it shoot for the TH-900 and not worry yourself down the line what could have been.  You may always wonder with the TH-600.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #7,507 of 18,761
  Drop the fiancee, that 'll save you enough money to buy a pair of TH-900, B&W 800s and a Ferrari. 
biggrin.gif

My amp doesn't run hot enough to keep me warm during the long cold winters.
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #7,508 of 18,761

You wont be disappointed. I originally bought the TH-600 for fun phones and found them to be great for all genres. If your upstream components are up to it you will really appreciate the small but significant differences stepping up to the TH-900s. For me its worth the extra dough.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #7,510 of 18,761
I listen to mostly EDM & used to think the same. Until I tried the LCD XC's. The LCD XC's are equally good for EDM (may also be better depending on your taste).

Damn.. I wish I didn't hear this. Was thinking about the xc's but the pricetag , weight, and mixed reviews have me holding off for the time being.

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #7,513 of 18,761
Damn.. I wish I didn't hear this. Was thinking about the xc's but the pricetag , weight, and mixed reviews have me holding off for the time being.

Yes, they are not as comfortable as the TH 900 & do not have the immediate wow factor when you first hear them. But IMHO after a week of use you adjust to their weight & they have a very liquid, fluid, organic sound which I prefer for long term listening (or maybe its just new toy syndrome, I will post back after couple of weeks if I still feel the same). I would agree that you cannot buy them blind without audition bcos of the price tag, buying used (which is what I did) would also be of much better value.

That said I am not selling my TH 900, they are such a fun HP & I love that fat bottomed sub-bass.  I an in fact having a detachable cable mod done to them so I can use them with better cables.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #7,514 of 18,761
A recent closed flagship shootout:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/07/18/flagship-closed-back-headphones-from-mrspeakers-audeze-and-fostex/

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #7,515 of 18,761
Done by head-fi's Project86

Users who are viewing this thread

Back