Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 22, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #7,291 of 18,761
The TH600 are only die-cast aluminium
The TH900 are cherry birch wood with hand-made urushi lacquer

The stock TH900 at least are unique and worth a damn sight more than the Lawton cups, which frankly are not offering a special wood or finish over say your home furniture. If Lawton keeps the stock cups he is making money twice over from you. It's a free market and it definitely sounds like Lawton knows what he is playing

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #7,294 of 18,761
Been reading large parts of this thread and thw whole TH-900 amp recommendations thread as well.

What I would like to know is if there's anyone who has heard both the Oppo HA-1 and Fostex HP-A8 with the TH-900 or AH-D7000.
Which one 'd suit the TH-900 best?

Have you considered Chord Hugo? It's in similar price range and it should sound phenomenal.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #7,295 of 18,761
I finished my mod (took about 30 minutes) and it for sure takes the floppy bass at high volumes completely out of the equation. I even have my buddies stock set and there is a pretty real difference. We even had my wife just try both on and asked her which one she like better and she even picked the modded set! Other than the bass, I can't tell if there were any changes to mids etc. at regular volumes, I couldn't tell any difference between the 2, just at higher volumes I game at.

This fixed the one and only semi-issue I had with the 900's, floppy/boomy bass at high volumes... I'm one happy camper! Highly recommended!

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #7,297 of 18,761
  I finished my mod (took about 30 minutes) and it for sure takes the floppy bass at high volumes completely out of the equation. I even have my buddies stock set and there is a pretty real difference. We even had my wife just try both on and asked her which one she like better and she even picked the modded set! Other than the bass, I can't tell if there were any changes to mids etc. at regular volumes, I couldn't tell any difference between the 2, just at higher volumes I game at.

This fixed the one and only semi-issue I had with the 900's, floppy/boomy bass at high volumes... I'm one happy camper! Highly recommended!

That's good mine has it then, cause I like to play my EDM music nice and loud! 
basshead.gif

Any other changes besides bass? Did soundstage improve?

You're the perfect person to ask considering you have both the stock and modded on hand at the same time, so you have an advantage few of us have!

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #7,298 of 18,761
  Oh come on. It's only on the cable, which is going to be on the floor somewhere anyway, right?
It's better than a stupid zip tie. 

I suggest one of these bendable cable tie brands:

"Gear Tie" (a bit more rigid)
http://www.niteize.com/product/Gear-Tie-3.asp

or "Flexi Ties" (padded, soft)
http://www.amazon.com/UT-Wire-Reusable-Organize-Yellow-6-Piece/dp/B003P9W0RE

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #7,299 of 18,761
Have you considered Chord Hugo? It's in similar price range and it should sound phenomenal.

No I hadn't. It sure looks good specwise but I prefer a desktop amp tbh.

Gear I considered:

Amp/Dacs:
Marantz HD-DAC1 (unreleased)
Pioneer U-05 (unreleased, low output specs)

Dacs:
Marantz NA-11S1 (30 mW/32 Ω/ohms according to the manual, so probably not considered a real HP amp, I 'd love some input on this)
Luxman DA-06 (overpriced in EU vs rest of the world as I remember from my P-1u)

Amps:
Eddie Current Zana Deux (the best amp I ever had but maybe not the best match for the TH-900)
Ear HP-4 (also a fabulous amp but I read a review here on HF with the R10, a bit underwhelming on such cans it seems)
Fosgate Signature (might be underpowered)
Trilogy 933 (might be underpowered)
Luxman P-700u (overpriced in EU vs rest of the world as I remember from my P-1u)

Gear I still consider, in order of importance:

Fostex HP-A8 (only gripes: no second/balanced rear output, no 384Khz, no DSD128)
TEAC UD-501 + HA-501 combo (not sure what to think of this ...)
Oppo HA-1 (don't know the brand and less HP output than the HP-A8)
Resonnesence Labs Invicta (probably more suited for Senns, Audeze and AKG?)
Meridian Prime (quality of the headamp?)

I prefer my sound euphonic rather than analytic and would hate exaggerated treble. From what I read the HP-A8 smoothes the TH-900 out further.
I am looking for an amp for the TH-900 and likewise cans only. Closed, dynamic, low impedance. Think Denon and AT woodies.
Can be amp/dac combo or separates. Advice is really welcome.

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #7,300 of 18,761

Can be amp/dac combo or separates. Advice is really welcome.

My two cents. I have the unmodded Fostex Th900 and use it with two desktop combos:

1. Schiit Bifrost Uber/EC Zana Deux in the office
2. Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir at home.

I love both combos and actually like the Zana Deux slightly more than the Mojo.

Jun 23, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #7,302 of 18,761
  Bob, I just got my mod kit from Lawton. It took him almost 1.5 months to get it lol I got the pads as well. I was told a week and over a month later when I emailed him, he sent it out a week after that  lol

Yes, I received a shipping notification on Friday..... the kit will be delivered today.  That's a couple of days over a month.

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #7,303 of 18,761

I received the mod kit yesterday.  It took me more like an hour to complete.  Nothing difficult at all, just taking my time.  The boomy bass is definitely tamed and superior.  It sounds to me that the highs are crisper as well.  Of course, I'm unable to A/B at this point so take a comparison from audio memory with a grain of salt.  I might switch the pads back and forth to see if there's a difference in sound.  Well worth the effort.

I've only listened through my Burson Conductor --- I didn't originally notice boomy bass when played directly through a DAP, so I have yet to see how they sound coming from a DX90.

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #7,304 of 18,761

I received the mod kit yesterday.  It took me more like an hour to complete.  Nothing difficult at all, just taking my time.  The boomy bass is definitely tamed and superior.  It sounds to me that the highs are crisper as well.  Of course, I'm unable to A/B at this point so take a comparison from audio memory with a grain of salt.  I might switch the pads back and forth to see if there's a difference in sound.  Well worth the effort.

I've only listened through my Burson Conductor --- I didn't originally notice boomy bass when played directly through a DAP, so I have yet to see how they sound coming from a DX90.

Are the modding steps / procedure same as those for D5000 / D7000 in the link below ? :

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page55.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back