Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 21, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #1,081 of 18,776
Hi, this issue is obvious on mine (SN:00108).
Roughly estimated, my right earcup can swivel about 25[size=small]°[/size] outward to the right, 3[size=small]°[/size] inward to the left; my left earcup can swivel about  3[size=small]°[/size] outward to the left, 25[size=small]°[/size] inward to the left right.
I think the rotatable range is identical, but the placement of the bearing base is quite odd.

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #1,084 of 18,776
Quote:
Hi, this issue is obvious on mine (SN:00108).
Roughly estimated, my right earcup can swivel about 25[size=small]°[/size] outward to the right, 3[size=small]°[/size] inward to the left; my left earcup can swivel about  3[size=small]°[/size] outward to the left, 25[size=small]°[/size] inward to the left right.
I think the rotatable range is identical, but the placement of the bearing base is quite odd.

is this because they used 'universal' parts for both left & right sides (as opposed to mirror imaged)?

for $2k or $2k+ i would have expected greater care/better control of tolerances.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #1,086 of 18,776
I don't see any swivel or movement issues on mine (# 0190). I'm not sure I can visualize what is described here. I have no ergonomic or quality issues with mine at all. And the comfort and position of the earcups seems fine with me. I wouldn't change a thing. The range of tightness adjustments works well also.
I think they have the edge in comfort over my 009s which clamp (just slightly) more firmly.

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #1,088 of 18,776
For those who can't visualize the issue:

Imagine holding the headphones in front of you. When you push both cups outward from you like this:

( \      / )

(top down perspective)

One side goes further out than the other. Alternatively when you pull them inward toward you like this:

( /      \ )

(top down perspective)

The other opposite side goes further inward than the other. Think of it like someone having "two left feet" or something. I think they're using the same adjustment parameters on the swivel hinge for both sides, rather than a mirror of the parameters, so they both end up having skewed or wonky swivel. When you set it down on a hard surface it sometimes "flops" to the left or right as a result.

Honestly, it's not a big enough deal for me to send mine all the way back to Japan from the US to get fixed.

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #1,089 of 18,776
A bunch of us in Tokyo are going to go to the Tokyo FUJIYA AVIC Summer Portable Audio Event. If Fostex is there, and they should be, to promote the HP_P1, we can ask them about this.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/615395/tokyo-fujiya-avic-summer-portable-audio-event

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #1,090 of 18,776
Hmm i need to check mine... 

Thanks gkanai for looking into it..

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #1,095 of 18,776
Either this is well on topic or completely off ...  
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back