Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #10,381 of 18,776

Ha, funny now that you mention it, I don't think I've listen to any of my Van Halen albums on the Senns yet... should be fun, thanks for the advice!

Yep, pretty good and underrated phones and worth much more that the price one can get for them IMO.
I do use them with a silver cable that makes a lot of difference though, but the cable costs twice as much as the phones.

May 21, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #10,382 of 18,776
  Received my new Zana earlier this week and due to the remains of a heavy cold (everything sounded dull anyway) I only managed to have a listen to it for the first time tonight.

Quote:
  My new TH900 just arrived today. 

Congrats guys ...... enjoy the new toys

May 21, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #10,383 of 18,776
This has probably been asked a few times already, but what do you prefer to listen to with TH900 from your other headphones, and what do you not like with TH900 etc; (for examples of albums, artists & songs specifically in comparision to other headphones you might have tried)?

May 21, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #10,384 of 18,776
Absolutely agree and if it were not for some comments that seemed to try and elicit a response that deviated from the same conclusion I came to in my original post, we may not have had these additional qualifiers. The read in itself is the interesting part, the listening will confirm or deny that. IMO chord has a transparent acuity to its amplification that I have not heard elsewhere. However I also love what the hpa8 does to the sound through th900 and the effects of its akm chipset dac as well. In this case it matters little which could be construed as better. A poster seemed to agree with a hypothesis that integrated could produce noise, to that statement it was deemed to "make sense". By introducing the concept of different architecture where the exact opposite is occurring was the point of my original example in chord products.
I personally find deeper discussions around sound quality through hp, mods, dacs and amps fascinating and would not wish to curtail or limits anyone's thoughts on these matters.
Cheers.

as i recall, you made a claim in your original post which sonic defender and i queried, and you got defensive about it.

May 21, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #10,385 of 18,776
  This has probably been asked a few times already, but what do you prefer to listen to with TH900 from your other headphones, and what do you not like with TH900 etc; (for examples of albums, artists & songs specifically in comparision to other headphones you might have tried)?

While I know what you mean, personally I like the TH 900 for everything. I would never invest the kind of money in a one-trick pony headphone. Any well recorded music is blissful, even poorly mastered material is tolerable with the Fostex. Dead Can Dance, Thievery Corporation, Steely Dan, Deadmau5, Bluetech, Adham Shaikh, The Chemical Brothers, dudstep, DNB, Tears For Fears, Holy Cole Trio, a little rap, but not much to this point, Tool, good jazz etc.

May 21, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #10,387 of 18,776

Definitely a great all rounder but if I'm in that Baroque kind of mood I may reach for the HD-800.

Don't get me wrong though the TH-900 can easily hold its own in the Classical dept.

May 22, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #10,388 of 18,776

Sama answer as the previous posters.
Good with all kinds of music, excellent with most.
For older and lesser recorded (hard)rock I occasionally go to the HD650.
For Baroque and violins I am still searching for a new phone.
But still, the TH-900 does well with both these genres but better with others.

May 22, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #10,389 of 18,776

Definitely a great all rounder but if I'm in that Baroque kind of mood I may reach for the HD-800.

Don't get me wrong though the TH-900 can easily hold its own in the Classical dept.

Now I haven't tried this combination, but I would think the HD800 are so revealing and toward bright that this might not work so well. Just goes to show, you need to try something to be sure.

May 22, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #10,390 of 18,776
Absolutely agree and if it were not for some comments that seemed to try and elicit a response that deviated from the same conclusion I came to in my original post, we may not have had these additional qualifiers. The read in itself is the interesting part, the listening will confirm or deny that. IMO chord has a transparent acuity to its amplification that I have not heard elsewhere. However I also love what the hpa8 does to the sound through th900 and the effects of its akm chipset dac as well. In this case it matters little which could be construed as better. A poster seemed to agree with a hypothesis that integrated could produce noise, to that statement it was deemed to "make sense". By introducing the concept of different architecture where the exact opposite is occurring was the point of my original example in chord products.
I personally find deeper discussions around sound quality through hp, mods, dacs and amps fascinating and would not wish to curtail or limits anyone's thoughts on these matters.
Cheers.

as i recall, you made a claim in your original post which sonic defender and i queried, and you got defensive about it.

I really hesitate to reply but I will as I think this thread needs some relief from this.
1) I never replied to you, it was to sonic defender. I'm trying to avoid any replies or reference to up late.
2) it was not defensive in the least, only explaining that my post wasn't that in the least and why I brought up the informative and interesting topic in the first place. Here is my post again. That you are eluding to." Well folks seem my reply, as open and non confrontational as stated was some definitive opinion. May i suggest a long read on the chord threads from the desighner as to see the explanations of archetecure and thoughts beyound on seperats. They are not the only company pursuing said desighn and again this is just information and not confrontation."
3) I believe the topic has more than run its course and in the future you may consider not inquiring into a line of thought that you do not agree with or understand. Let it go another words. Just food for thought and apologize if my thoughts are not on point. I am finding th900 thread becoming exhaustive and I know I'm not alone in this regard.

May 22, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #10,391 of 18,776
Now I haven't tried this combination, but I would think the HD800 are so revealing and toward bright that this might not work so well. Just goes to show, you need to try something to be sure.

Very true SD, you really need your own ears to decide as in all things Hi - Fi (as you already know I'm sure) .

Yes the 800 can at times be a tad bright but for pure instrument separation it cant be beat.

Give it an audition with the Classical genre when you can. 
beerchug.gif

May 22, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #10,392 of 18,776
I'm listening my freshly (zolkis-?)modded TH900 now and it is sounding pretty fantastic--a clear step up for me in terms of resolution, detail retrieval, realism, and extension (without losing bass!). I've posted my impressions over on the mod threads here.

May 22, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #10,393 of 18,776
  I'm listening my freshly (zolkis-?)modded TH900 now and it is sounding pretty fantastic--a clear step up for me in terms of resolution, detail retrieval, realism, and extension (without losing bass!). I've posted my impressions over on the mod threads here.

I would kill for a blind comparison with a stock TH900.

May 22, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #10,394 of 18,776

I would kill for a blind comparison with a stock TH900.

Since I modded the pads too, a truly blind comparison would be very difficult to perform. There is going to be a San Francisco Bay Area Head-Fi meet in July though--I'll be bringing my TH900 there to see what other people think. 

May 22, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #10,395 of 18,776

Since I modded the pads too, a truly blind comparison would be very difficult to perform. There is going to be a San Francisco Bay Area Head-Fi meet in July though--I'll be bringing my TH900 there to see what other people think. 

It would be great if there was a stock TH900 there. To me, the problem with mods is that nobody has accurate audio memory in the way we discuss here; at best it is vague and you might remember some general things, big bass, hot treble etc. There is no way on earth you can confidently remember the sound signature of something days and weeks since last hearing it. We can assume we do, but we don't, it isn't like how memory for voices is encoded at all. So once somebody sends their headphone away, waits weeks for the mod and then gets it back it makes me wonder how they can be so sure of the results?

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite sure the mods change the sound signature, that isn't up for debate at all. I just wonder how it is that the mods are always judged as positive when simple probability suggests that is unlikely to be the case. I've never heard anybody say the mod didn't sound better. That is why I would love to hear the results of some blind listening comparisons against a stock TH900. I'm not trying to be an ass, and I have no doubt that people can hear differences and even prefer them, I just wonder how accurate the memory they compare against really is. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back