Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 20, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #10,351 of 18,765
and you'll be posting those impressions in the th900 mods thread for those who are interested right? :wink:

May 20, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #10,354 of 18,765
It would be great if you would consider doing the do it yourself mods in stages so that we can get a better sense of what each component adds to SQ.

A-- tune-up

B-- tune-up with angled pads

C-- turned-up + angled pads + custom wood chambers

D-- all of the above + new cable

It may be possible to restore back to original stock version by removing the tune up materials and replacing the stock pads and cables but yes warrantee is voided.

May 20, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #10,356 of 18,765
Maybe 'up-late' should start the 'up-late Fostex TH-900 thread'', where it is only allowed to post comments on what others are not allowed to post in the 'FostexTH-900 thread'. 

At this moment there are too much posts related to this, which spoils the fun and the attractiviness of the 'TH-900 thread'. 
Hope he can take the joke
gs1000.gif

May 20, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #10,357 of 18,765
and take the credit for your comic genius? nah, i insist you name the thread after yourself. i'll be sure to drop by for hilarious guest appearances.

May 20, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #10,358 of 18,765
Well folks seem my reply, as open and non confrontational as stated was some definitive opinion. May i suggest a long read on the chord threads from the desighner as to see the explanations of archetecure and thoughts beyound on seperats. They are not the only company pursuing said desighn and again this is just information and not confrontation.

so your claim is based on the manufacturer's. thought as much.

Since you didn't bother doing any research it deviates from a claim and is descriptive of the engineering architecture behind it and the consequence on the quality, acuity and transparency of output through scientific measures. Again this would be interesting information for most folks at head fi, just something fascinating to read. the th900 threads seem a bit tedious and exhausting for some informative postings here.

May 20, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #10,359 of 18,765
Feel free to post em here as well, most of us are interested :)

Agreed. Modding has been discussed in many headphone threads already, and I have never seen a moderator get worked up over it. Only a vocal minority really seem to have an issue with it.

As for reporting what each individual stage of modding does to the SQ, I'll leave that to someone who is a bit more handy than me. I have never modded anything save for replacing the grills on my HE 500, and I would rather not start with a pair of $1,000 cans

May 20, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #10,360 of 18,765
@whazzzup - every hi fi manufacturer i can think of promotes the benefits of its design philosophy and proprietary technology.

if you want to believe that chord's approach to designing and manufacturing hi fi gear ensures that the musical notes it reproduces isn't degraded like it is with other manufacturers products then go ahead but don't call it information.

unless these claims are independently verified they're really nothing more than marketing spiel. it can be very persuasive no doubt.

May 20, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #10,361 of 18,765
Agreed. Modding has been discussed in many headphone threads already, and I have never seen a moderator get worked up over it. Only a vocal minority really seem to have an issue with it.

As for reporting what each individual stage of modding does to the SQ, I'll leave that to someone who is a bit more handy than me. I have never modded anything save for replacing the grills on my HE 500, and I would rather not start with a pair of $1,000 cans

was referring to cross-posting actually. anyways post in both threads if you want.

May 20, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #10,363 of 18,765
sorry man - just making some general comments in response to whazzzup's claim in an earlier post. maybe he can direct you to a specific chord hugo thread here - there's a few of them. and there's chord's website.

May 20, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #10,364 of 18,765
@Whazzzup
 & @up late
 - Do you guys have the links (URL's) to the information you're referring to in reference to the all in one vs standalone debate?  If so, they'd be very much appreciated.  Good discussion, BTW.  I like delving into different audiophile theories.

Why I brought up chord in this debate was not about seperates versus not. Chord doesn't even seperate the dac and amp within the seperate in the first place. They don't use chip sets either but fpga and taps. It's a different desighn but not unique. The designer is very involved on the chord Hugo thread. His name is rob watts and you can search that thread for his detailed explanations and many poster views and counter points. He and posters had lots of views on separates and that it deviates from the acuity and transparency that he is ultimately seeking. This does not mean that other architectures do not provide the color that is more appealing to lots of listeners. This is not a zero sum gain. The chord Hugo thread is lots of fun to read if you are into this kind of thing. Personally I love the chord th900 pairing and have spent a ton of time for the last month and for the next 4 months at my cottage listening.

May 20, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #10,365 of 18,765
Why I brought up chord in this debate was not about seperates versus not. Chord doesn't even seperate the dac and amp within the seperate in the first place. They don't use chip sets either but fpga and taps. It's a different desighn but not unique. The designer is very involved on the chord Hugo thread. His name is rob watts and you can search that thread for his detailed explanations and many poster views and counter points. He and posters had lots of views on separates and that it deviates from the acuity and transparency that he is ultimately seeking. This does not mean that other architectures do not provide the color that is more appealing to lots of listeners. This is not a zero sum gain. The chord Hugo thread is lots of fun to read if you are into this kind of thing. Personally I love the chord th900 pairing and have spent a ton of time for the last month and for the next 4 months at my cottage listening.

I hear you brother, but we do have to be careful when listening to hyper-techno speak. In my case, I'm not a trained electrical engineer with a specialty in audio circuits and design. So when I listen to these experienced people banter back and forth either side can make points that sound perfectly valid and reasonable to me as I don't have the knowledge to refute or confirm either position. In the end, the only test that matters is whether or not in a blind listening, multiple trial test we could actually hear a difference. I would be shocked if these small architecture considerations do more than shift a few decimal places here and there on a few tests, but that itself doesn't mean the differences are actually audible. Maybe they are, but I will guarantee you that you can find a few company spokespeople from other highly regarded audio companies who would not agree with everything Rob says either. We like to assume the experts always have the absolute truth, but they don't.

Consider the Central Dogma of Molecular Genetics (hope I remembered that correctly) in essence for years it was widely held by the greatest minds that one gene coded for one protein. Guess, what, wrong, now they know better. Experts may think they know the absolute truth, but they can be wrong. Maybe Rob is completely correct, certainly he is confident in his views and that is great, but he could be wrong couldn't he?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back