Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 4, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #9,302 of 18,765

This is one thing that worries me.  A portion(less than 5%) of my listening comes from original vinyl rips that are sometimes worn or very old recordings.  It's nice to listen to the music as it was originally released.  Some of these recordings have very harsh treble(i'm looking at you smithsonian collection of classic jazz / anotholgy of american folk music).  One reason speakers are amazing: none of that hurts even the slightest.

Actually, I've heard a number of speakers with harsh treble. Right now I have some GoldenEars featuring a folded-ribbon tweeter that extends super-far w/o becoming shrill. Back on the Fostex - I really, really don't think you have anything to worry about in regards to treble. My HP-A8C allows the upper-mids and treble to absolutely crack! with enthusiasm, w/o ever becoming fatiguing. It sounds like a local head-fi meetup, or the http://www.thecableco.com/Product/NEW-Headphone-Lending-Library is in your future. 

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #9,303 of 18,765

Regarding the TH-900s treble: I never heard anything but smooth, natural highs, never had any harshness with any kind of music or any amp I tried it with, even the simple output of an integrated amp.
It is somehing I used to associate with the HD800 so what I read in the last few posts here is about the opposite of my experience and I have two pairs of TH-900 that are about 1500 apart in serial numbers.

Completely agree. Treble is very nice to my ears from everything I've tried with it so far. Tons of detail and no "spikiness". Out of my old MF X-Can V8 or even the integrated amp in Xonar ST it is noticably less smooth, but not harsh. When I think of harsh treble I think of Ultrasone headphones, in particular Pro 900 that has this unnatural metallic treble that is so annoying.

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #9,305 of 18,765
TH-900 definitely. It's completely different from a HD650.
The D7100, even though I am one of the few who seem to somewhat like it, is nowhere near the quality of a TH-900 and and has nothing in common as well. The TH-900 is an improved D7000 but has no relationship to the D7100.
Concerning planars, I'm not a fan, imo it's an aquired taste. I used to have an LCD-2 for a while and it was about the worst thing I ever heard, so bad I decided to avoid planars in general. The new TH-500RP does peek my interest though but I see the opinions here on HF are generally negative.

Regarding the TH-900s treble: I never heard anything but smooth, natural highs, never had any harshness with any kind of music or any amp I tried it with, even the simple output of an integrated amp.
It is somehing I used to associate with the HD800 so what I read in the last few posts here is about the opposite of my experience and I have two pairs of TH-900 that are about 1500 apart in serial numbers.

Wow. Thanks for the review. Probably you made me to buy TH-900. Sell HD650 - its to dark for me and buy Audio-Technica ad2000x and fix my fail selling ad1000 and buy 650 instead.

Regarding 7100.. Its nice bright warm punchy cans. But im listening jazz mostly Norway one and often i have overload of bass and resonating. Thats the only concern for Denon. But i grab it at 600$ in Tokyo, so it plays for its money imo

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #9,306 of 18,765
The AD2000X is a fine headphone but I wouldn't sell my HD650 for it. I sold it once and bought it back after a year. Try to find a second hand silver cable for the HD650, it really transforms the phones and make it the top Sennheiser IMO. It's the best open headphone I heard for some genres.

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #9,308 of 18,765
The AD2000X is a fine headphone but I wouldn't sell my HD650 for it. I sold it once and bought it back after a year. Try to find a second hand silver cable for the HD650, it really transforms the phones and make it the top Sennheiser IMO. It's the best open headphone I heard for some genres.

I have silver cable. It changes situation comparing to stock one. But closed back and punchy sound of Denons is closer for me. I also like westone UMPro 50

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #9,309 of 18,765

Concerning planars, I'm not a fan, imo it's an aquired taste. I used to have an LCD-2 for a while and it was about the worst thing I ever heard, so bad I decided to avoid planars in general. The new TH-500RP does peek my interest though but I see the opinions here on HF are generally negative.

The LCD-2 is not a good headphone to base if you like planers or not on.  That one was not my favorite either.  That being said, there are better planers out there.  

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #9,310 of 18,765
  The LCD-2 is not a good headphone to base if you like planers or not on.  That one was not my favorite either.  That being said, there are better planers out there.  

Yep, I heard that from others as well. Nevrtheless, mine was well burned in and properly amped.
The newer LCD's are said to be better, some of the HiFiMan as well. Still, I very much doubt if I would ever like them as much as any decent closed pair of cans, it seems to be my preferred taste by a large margin.
That said, when I had the LCD-2 most people were describing it as the best phones ever. So that makes me doubt if I hear good reviews about planars, it's probably just not my taste.

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #9,312 of 18,765

Actually, I've heard a number of speakers with harsh treble. Right now I have some GoldenEars featuring a folded-ribbon tweeter that extends super-far w/o becoming shrill. Back on the Fostex - I really, really don't think you have anything to worry about in regards to treble. My HP-A8C allows the upper-mids and treble to absolutely crack! with enthusiasm, w/o ever becoming fatiguing. It sounds like a local head-fi meetup, or the http://www.thecableco.com/Product/NEW-Headphone-Lending-Library is in your future. 

Thank you so much! I was looking for the lending library a while ago but I had forgotten what it was called and eventually gave up.

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #9,313 of 18,765

Agreed. The Hifiman HE-500 is currently a steal and should not be dismissed. It is very, very good...much better than LCD2.

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #9,314 of 18,765
TH-900 definitely. It's completely different from a HD650.
The D7100, even though I am one of the few who seem to somewhat like it, is nowhere near the quality of a TH-900 and and has nothing in common as well. The TH-900 is an improved D7000 but has no relationship to the D7100.

Completely agree. Treble is very nice to my ears from everything I've tried with it so far. Tons of detail and no "spikiness". Out of my old MF X-Can V8 or even the integrated amp in Xonar ST it is noticably less smooth, but not harsh. When I think of harsh treble I think of Ultrasone headphones, in particular Pro 900 that has this unnatural metallic treble that is so annoying.

found the highs sharp when i first got the th900 and thought that i might have to offload it for that reason. doesn't really bother me anymore but it's not the sweetest i've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back