Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 18, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #17,896 of 18,761
Which sounds best MK1/MK2/Lawton L1/L3?
Mk1 ans mk2 are similar. Lawton full mod is nice but less v shape , less bass , less treble more flatter sound. This can be good on certain styles of music.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #17,897 of 18,761
Is anyone able to provide me a comparison between the TH900MKII and the Focal Stellia please?
Sure, I own both. Have had the TH-900 for over 4 years and the Stellia for over 1.

The TH-900 is too unbalanced in the frequency range for my ears, mostly because the treble is too hot for me. So I EQ it and it takes EQ really well and sounds great. My EQ is essentially oratory1990's with more bass. I only listen to it for music and it's my go-to headphone for EDM and electronic music which is what I mostly listen to. Great for OSTs too. Very few headphones come close to the quality of the TH-900 bass, definitely nothing I can think of in its price range. And even headphones with competitive bass like the 1266 and LCD-4/5 have a different flavor of bass, not necessarily better. TH-900 bass is just so visceral. Isolation from outside noise is poor because it's only semi-closed.

The Stellia has a fairly balanced frequency response so I barely EQ it at all and could live without EQ. It can be a little sizzly in the treble sometime but nowhere near the TH-900. It's a good all-rounder, sounding good with any genre. I use it for classical, watching movies/TV, through devices I can't EQ, and when I want its sound signature for any genre. It is better to somewhat better than the TH-900 in most respects except bass and macrodynamics. Macrodynamics are about equal but the way they're presented is unique to each headphone. Isolation from outside noise is good.

They're different enough that they complement each other well

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #17,900 of 18,761
On a related note — how do you like your TH900 straight out RME vs. the Burson?
Currently wondering if it’s worth the upgrade, and how noticeable the difference is (perhaps a Soloist down the line…).
Hmmm it's something you probably have to try yourself. I usually just go straight out of the RME and it sounds really good (also the RME does a good job of taming any sibilance somehow).

Oct 22, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #17,902 of 18,761
I used to own the Stellia. I still own the TH-900 and will never sell it. I think that about sums it up.

Very interesting, particularly how there appears to be no hint of a doubt to the decision you made, can you elaborate on what it is about the Fostex that you preferred over the Stellia?

@Mkoll - many thanks for your feedback

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #17,903 of 18,761
Hi all, I'm about to pull the trigger on some TH900s and I have the option of the red or the pearl. From what Ive read the pearl is "smoother"? than the red. I like alot of bass and slam but don't like peircing highs. So would the pearl be a better option? has anyone tried both and found one to be more prefferable over the other? Cheers.

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #17,904 of 18,761
Hi all, I'm about to pull the trigger on some TH900s and I have the option of the red or the pearl. From what Ive read the pearl is "smoother"? than the red. I like alot of bass and slam but don't like peircing highs. So would the pearl be a better option? has anyone tried both and found one to be more prefferable over the other? Cheers.
Eq the treble down or a warm dac.

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #17,905 of 18,761
I haven’t tried the red’s, but I have the Pearls. I never found them shrill/fatiguing. They made all of my other sets/items sound veiled because of the clarity of the 900’s.

I’m actually about to post my Pearls for sale (unfortunately) because I’m downsizing to mobile gear again. I’d like to find an IEM with a similar sound signature.

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #17,906 of 18,761
I haven’t tried the red’s, but I have the Pearls. I never found them shrill/fatiguing. They made all of my other sets/items sound veiled because of the clarity of the 900’s.

I’m actually about to post my Pearls for sale (unfortunately) because I’m downsizing to mobile gear again. I’d like to find an IEM with a similar sound signature.
Similar iem is impossible. The totl sony and jvc 10000 (with eq) were close.

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #17,907 of 18,761
I've heard people saying the TH909 is a mid forward headphone, would anyone say that's a particularly strong point? I see the TH900 very much as a basshead can, for those who love bass. But where does that leave the TH909? Just interested, its a wonderful looking piece.

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #17,908 of 18,761

Suggest looking into Sony IER-Z1R as your option for IEMs.
As an owner of both, couldn’t be happier.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #17,909 of 18,761
Very interesting, particularly how there appears to be no hint of a doubt to the decision you made, can you elaborate on what it is about the Fostex that you preferred over the Stellia?

@Mkoll - many thanks for your feedback
Hey Marcus, definitely. For the music that I listen to, mostly rock and metal, the TH-900 is one of the best headphones on the market, along with the Hifiman HE-6, Abyss AB-1266 and Final D8000. The Stellia, whilst really good for a wide range of genres, just wasn't as convincing for metal. Not sure how to describe it precisely, more of just a 'feeling'.

The Fostex makes you want to head-bang/tap your toes, the Stellia does not. The Fostex has top-tier dynamics and superb impact/attack, the Stellia does have dynamics and impact as well, but much more toned-down in comparison. The Stellia is definitely a more accurate and balanced headphone overall. But that super impactful, dynamic, V-shaped response from the Fostex just really emphasises the 'fun-factor' in music, and particularly well for rock and metal. Which in my opinion, are genres that really benefit from strong bass impact, excellent dynamic contrast, and a fast attack/decay of notes.

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #17,910 of 18,761
I've heard people saying the TH909 is a mid forward headphone, would anyone say that's a particularly strong point? I see the TH900 very much as a basshead can, for those who love bass. But where does that leave the TH909? Just interested, its a wonderful looking piece.
It's not really mid-forward. In direct comparison to the 900, the 909 is simply less V-shaped. Rather than boosting the mids, they have reduced the treble and sub-bass quantity, creating a flatter response curve. It still retains the clarity and most of the impact people love from the 900, but much more balanced, airy, and open sounding. I couldn't see myself owning the 909, purely because it was so similar to the 900, but it takes away too much of what makes the 900 so special (super dynamic V-shaped FR and crazy bass quantity and slam).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back