Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 29, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #15,916 of 18,761
How do they tell the sound qualities and any differences?
I think those frequency sweepings have only half content of the full if it has any information.
Usual frequency response is regarded not enough without phase response, which might has some role to influence the sound quality, for example neighboring octave away frequencies having in phase ( adding) or out-phase (subtracting).
Magnitude has only half representation or less compared to the full information chart that includes phase - frequency, which does actually modulates other frequencies.
At least there is not sufficient information for definite conclusion.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #15,917 of 18,761
The main differences are that mids are crashing much slower now - bottom is moved from 2.7kHz to 3.7kHz, and recover much faster - the ~6kHz peak is moved down to 4.6kHz.
Still V-shaped, but not as much as before.

Yes, the regular red TH900MK2 that I purchased last September, serial number #106xx

10105600.png

OK what about the Blue TH-900 ,,, it should be newer than yours , right ?
The Blue TH900 is more V-shaped than my TH-900mk2 with serial# 101xx (which is older than yours)
Can you explain How this could be in line with your theory?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #15,918 of 18,761
How do they tell the sound qualities and any differences?
I think those frequency sweepings have only half content of the full if it has any information.
Usual frequency response is regarded not enough without phase response, which might has some role to influence the sound quality, for example neighboring octave away frequencies having in phase ( adding) or out-phase (subtracting).
Magnitude has only half representation or less compared to the full information chart that includes phase - frequency, which does actually modulates other frequencies.
At least there is not sufficient information for definite conclusion.
You are correct, FR only shows the tonal balance of the headphone, nothing more.

Apr 29, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #15,919 of 18,761
OK what about the Blue TH-900 ,,, it should be newer than yours , right ?
The Blue TH900 is more V-shaped than my TH-900mk2 with serial# 101xx (which is older than yours)
Can you explain How this could be in line with your theory?
The blue TH900MK2 is tuned differently from the regular TH900MK2, it has "Anniversary audio tuning featuring smooth and straight lows"

Apr 29, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #15,920 of 18,761
The blue TH900MK2 is tuned differently from the regular TH900MK2, it has "Anniversary audio tuning featuring smooth and straight lows"
So Blue TH-900 should be more V-shaped , like my Red when it was new ,,
burning have nothing to do with smoothing my TH-900 which is smoother and less V-shaped
and you believe in another post that burning improve sound , but it is not the case here
its just Fostex did some under hidden reversion of the TH-900 and they never announced and you discovered it by your self ..

I have nothing else to add , enjoy your TH-900 ,, its a great headphone :ok_hand:

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #15,921 of 18,761
So Blue TH-900 should be more V-shaped , like my Red when it was new...
I don't know why you decided that it should be more V-shaped, all we know that (according to Fostex) they tuned it differently
https://www.moon-audio.com/fostex-th-900-mk2-sapphire-blue.html

...burning have nothing to do with smoothing my TH-900 which is smoother and less V-shaped
and you believe in another post that burning improve sound , but it is not the case here
Once again - I believe that burn-in improves (sometimes, not always) sound, but (according to Tyll) it doesn't affect FR.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

...its just Fostex did some under hidden reversion of the TH-900 and they never announced...
Yes, just like Audeze did with LCD-2 and Stax did with 007Mk2
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...ences_between_audeze_lcd_2_versions/?sort=new
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-stax-sr-007 (there is "v2.9" now too)
Manufacturers (not just in headphones) change/improve their products ALL THE TIME, and they don't usually announce the changes because they don't want the existing customers to be unhappy about having an inferior product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #15,922 of 18,761
Apr 30, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #15,924 of 18,761
I Have it my dear ,, i didn't read about ,, i own the Fostex TH-900mk2 Sapphire Blue
and it is more V-shaped then My very Old TH-900mk2 which according to you should be more V-shaped.
It's hard to miss the fact that you have it - you've mentioned it before, and it's in a nice blue color in your signature.
You wrote:
So Blue TH-900 should be more V-shaped , like my Red when it was new...
That's what's called an assumption . Then you disprove your own assumption...
Why did you make that assumption? What were you trying to prove by disproving your own assumption?
It's a mystery to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #15,925 of 18,761
You guys playing ping pong?

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #15,927 of 18,761
he is going in circles trying to proof his mystical theory although he conflicting with his previous post outside this thread.

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #15,928 of 18,761
Apr 30, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #15,929 of 18,761
Yes, I have measured a different unit of the same model - and it still should measure the same, unless Fostex has horrible QC.
What is more likely:
1) A reputable JAPANESE headphone maker put outs randomly sounding 1500$ headphones (which makes all reviews meaningless BTW)?
or
2) Fostex re-tuned the headphone, to make the mids less recessed, trying to make its sound more worthy of the hefty price tag?
it's neither 1) or 2) because they are predicated on an erroneous assumption. you've made the mistake of treating two different sets of headphone frequency response measurements as the same, ignored the variables that render such a comparison invalid and then extrapolated from there.

You guys playing ping pong?
ping pong is enjoyable. this is more like groundhog day. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #15,930 of 18,761
7 then six, now 4.
Damn.
I have just one, and feel like it's enough. Due to having practically no isolation, I can only use it when I'm alone - but then I often reach for my electrostats instead...
Do you really find use for these 4 TH900s, or is it more of a collection type of thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back