Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 2, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #15,093 of 18,762
I had done some modifications on my speakers plus some other tweaks in the past to improve my stereo rig and still enjoy music thru them. Now, I have the TH-900 for a while and thought of pushing the performance further. I read a fair bit on some of the mods available on-line, took the headphone apart, read about every bits that make up the head phone, the parts that goes in plus damping and so on...all looks good and of cos you can damp it further, etc. There are also cables and 1/4 inch plug options out there but I think this deserve as little more attention.

I am not a headphone designer and I am not second guessing the designer's capability in making a good headphone and for what it is the TH900 is a good one. Still every designer has a budget to work with and not every part along the chain are with the best option there is. So I did some fiddling with the Th900, had some dummy prove tips from Alex Sventitsky of Wywires (http://www.wywires.com/silver-gold-and-blue/) and the result is Platinum Series cables with Furutech Rhodium 1/4 plug (http://www.furutech.com/2013/03/20/7106/). After running in I am utterly impressed...brought it to the stall and made some comparisons including the latest close cans like Sony's MDR-Z1R.

Now both Sony and Fostex are closed cans from Japan but they sound very different. The Sony has a very relaxed, easy listening, ultra wide sound stage, silky smooth highs and sufficient low end. While the Fostex has a tad more energy on both extreme end of the frequencies...Wywires Platinum Series added further refinements on the top-end without any sibilance and punch much lower yet tighter with slam akin to a JL Audio sub. Mids are no longer as recess and engages you in all genre of music. While the ultrawide sound stage of Sony places you several row back from the stage and some may prefer a super wide stage but I find it too diffused making everything sound easy, relax...all the same.

Both great cans but I am keeping my modified TH900... :)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #15,094 of 18,762
I had done some modifications on my speakers plus some other tweaks in the past to improve my stereo rig and still enjoy music thru them. Now, I have the TH-900 for a while and thought of pushing the performance further. I read a fair bit on some of the mods available on-line, took the headphone apart, read about every bits that make up the head phone, the parts that goes in plus damping and so on...all looks good and of cos you can damp it further, etc. There are also cables and 1/4 inch plug options out there but I think this deserve as little more attention.

I am not a headphone designer and I am not second guessing the designer's capability in making a good headphone and for what it is the TH900 is a good one. Still every designer has a budget to work with and not every part along the chain are with the best option there is. So I did some fiddling with the Th900, had some dummy prove tips from Alex Sventitsky of Wywires, and the result is Platinum Series cables with Furutech Rhodium 1/4 plug. After running in I am utterly impressed...brought it to the stall and made some comparisons including the latest close cans like Sony's MDR-Z1R.

Now both Sony and Fostex are closed cans from Japan but they sound very different. The Sony has a very relaxed, easy listening, ultra wide sound stage, silky smooth highs and sufficient low end. While the Fostex has a tad more energy on both extreme end of the frequencies...Wywires Platinum Series added further refinement on the top-end without any sibilance and punch much lower yet tighter with slam akin to a JL Audio sub. Mids are no longer as recess and engages you in all genre of music while the ultrawide sound stage place you several row back from the stage. Some may prefer a super wide stage but I find it too diffused making everything sound easy, relax...well all the same.

Wywires Platinum Series gave more bass to the TH900?

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #15,096 of 18,762
I won't say more but better quality bass. I reference this to a JL Sub because of the clean, fast, yet deep bass it can produce. It will rock your house down but not boomy, slow, and bleeds into your mids.
I had four 10 inch JBLs in my car so I want that kind of bass.

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #15,097 of 18,762
I didn't really understand how you made the cable. I don't know what a prove tip is. Is your cable a platinum red headphone cable, or something else?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #15,099 of 18,762
As mentioned, the Platinum cable is from Wywires and 1/4 inch plug from Furutech - I have added links on my post to provide better clarity. Cheers!

Thanks for trying, but wywyres has platinum Red headphone cables, platinum interconnects, platinum speaker wire, platinum phone cables, and platinum power cables. Many of these use different gauge wire, I assume. Do you happen to know which platinum wire you used?

Also, what is a "prove tip"?

Jun 2, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #15,100 of 18,762
IMG_3614.jpg
IMG_3613.jpg
Lawton uses a 22 awg, jbs labs cryogenic copper cable with furutech conector, but the biggest change was the cups and dampening.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #15,101 of 18,762
I won't say more but better quality bass. I reference this to a JL Sub because of the clean, fast, yet deep bass it can produce. It will rock your house down but not boomy, slow, and bleeds into your mids.

not that the stock th900's bass suffers from those issues anyway

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #15,102 of 18,762

I am not a headphone designer and I am not second guessing the designer's capability in making a good headphone and for what it is the TH900 is a good one. Still every designer has a budget to work with and not every part along the chain are with the best option there is. So I did some fiddling with the Th900, had some dummy prove tips from Alex Sventitsky of Wywires (http://www.wywires.com/silver-gold-and-blue/) and the result is Platinum Series cables with Furutech Rhodium 1/4 plug (http://www.furutech.com/2013/03/20/7106/). After running in I am utterly impressed...brought it to the stall and made some comparisons including the latest close cans like Sony's MDR-Z1R.

Now both Sony and Fostex are closed cans from Japan but they sound very different. The Sony has a very relaxed, easy listening, ultra wide sound stage, silky smooth highs and sufficient low end. While the Fostex has a tad more energy on both extreme end of the frequencies...Wywires Platinum Series added further refinement on the top-end without any sibilance and punch much lower yet tighter with slam akin to a JL Audio sub. Mids are no longer as recess and engages you in all genre of music while the ultrawide sound stage place you several row back from the stage. Some may prefer a super wide stage but I find it too diffused making everything sound easy, relax...well all the same.

nice pic. it's been a fair while since I compared the z1r to the th900 but my impression was that the former sounded more refined and damped, whereas the latter sounded more lively and open. both quite different presentations as you say.

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #15,103 of 18,762
No worries, always glad to share...the Red Series isn't Platinum Series and they do have handphone cables for both. That said I think there ain't more information I can provide and suggest you to reach out to Alex Sventitsky from Wywires directly. I am sure you can find their contacts in the website and its all there. Cheers~

Thanks for trying, but wywyres has platinum Red headphone cables, platinum interconnects, platinum speaker wire, platinum phone cables, and platinum power cables. Many of these use different gauge wire, I assume. Do you happen to know which platinum wire you used?

Also, what is a "prove tip"?

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #15,104 of 18,762
Well...I have modded speakers costing well over 20K and not that its bad otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. Still there is always room for improvement and thats where the fun is or isn't it? :)

Yes, I was careful not to use the word Refine. If I were to use speakers as comparison it is similar to ribbon versus silk dome tweeters. Nothing wrong to either but they sound different and there are folks prefers one from the other so long you are happy.

not that the stock th900's bass suffers from those issues anyway

nice pic. it's been a fair while since I compared the z1r to the th900 but my impression was that the former sounded more refined and damped, whereas the latter sounded more lively and open. both quite different presentations as you say.

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #15,105 of 18,762
modding's fine if that's your thing but it's not mine. and i regard the th900's bass as anything but "boomy" and "slow" if that's what you're suggesting.

i don't think we should avoid using descriptors such as "refined" if we find them applicable. the th900's treble has been described as "sharp", "peaky" and even "ragged". the z1r's highs were more refined than the th900, with a smoother and darker presentation overall to my ears when i compared them. whether you like one presentation more than the other is a matter of personal preference.

*imho, ime, ymmv, we all hear differently, to each his own, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back