Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Nov 5, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #1,396 of 3,438
I think he means Subway as in the restaurant that sells those amazing sub sandwiches.

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #1,397 of 3,438
Swap on a pair of alpha pads and u can hit the streets with your Fostex :)
Subway or airport...nothing leaks.

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #1,398 of 3,438
Swap on a pair of alpha pads and u can hit the streets with your Fostex
smily_headphones1.gif

Subway or airport...nothing leaks.

That's very interesting... even if I don't like the sound change I might have to pick a pair up just to see how good this isolation is you speak of..

Best place to buy alpha pads = mrspeakers ?
$60 + post to Australia which will no doubt be pricey but oh well
Maybe I'll try them on HE-400 too it might change my mind and not sell them (doubt it though, soundstage is so boxed in for open cans)

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #1,399 of 3,438
I am using the alpha pads on my he-6 actually...
Powered by the tiny SMSL SA-50 T-amp, 50w x 2., via speaker taps.
Its on amazon for 70bucks.

I dun find the soundstage congested.

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #1,401 of 3,438
Whaaa?! You can actually get studying done at a subway? I assume it's in some cafe located within the subway station and not the actual subway passages/walking areas?
Oh, but you're in Singapore. People can study anywhere there. When I first moved there, I even saw students studying at the airport (which actually makes more sense than a subway, now that I think about it).

On topic;
Yeah, the length of the cable would be the main drawback. Fine if you coil it up and put most of it into your bag and only letting the required length stick out, I suppose. In any case, they weren't made for mobile use. It's doable, but not ideal.

I take mine to work everyday, so I keep most of the cord coiled, with two ties on opposite sides of the ring. Easier to transport in a velvet bag this way too.

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #1,402 of 3,438
Does anyone have any experience with replacing the pads on the Fostex TH600s.
The pad attaches to a white disk. I can not figure out how to remove this disk which would make replacing the pad at least possible.
Has anyone replaced the Fostex pads with Audeze pads?

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #1,403 of 3,438
I take mine to work everyday, so I keep most of the cord coiled, with two ties on opposite sides of the ring. Easier to transport in a velvet bag this way too.

Dude, if we lived in the same city and I saw you outside rockin a TH600, I'd salute you!!
Screw the celebrities and their headphone endorsements. There's no cooler headphone to wear in public than a vader-black TH600, in my opinion. Shame it leaks, though.

The pad attaches to a white disk. I can not figure out how to remove this disk which would make replacing the pad at least possible.

No experience personally, but this post by Audiowood from the TH900 thread might give you a rough idea:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/2790#post_9006193

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,404 of 3,438
Thanks a lot for the post.
The advice worked
Although there has got to be an easier way. I almost could not believe that I got the pad back on.
I agree the black Vader look of the 600s is totally cool and yes I where them in public.
The subject of leakage and more comfort is why I am interested in trying either Alpha pads or Audeze pads on them.
I was just at the Toronto audio show and Mr Speakers new Alpha headphones were so comfortable I could not believe it.
So if anyone has experience on this I would love to hear about it

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #1,405 of 3,438
The advice worked
Although there has got to be an easier way. I almost could not believe that I got the pad back on.
I agree the black Vader look of the 600s is totally cool and yes I where them in public.
The subject of leakage and more comfort is why I am interested in trying either Alpha pads or Audeze pads on them.
I was just at the Toronto audio show and Mr Speakers new Alpha headphones were so comfortable I could not believe it.

DemonFox has Alpha Pads on his. Sounds like the white mounting ring is the same as the early Denons used and yes, they can be challenging to get off. Have three sets myself, two with Alpha pads on them. Most comfortable pads I've tried, and I've done over 25 or so all totaled. The Alpha pads do not help with leakage.

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #1,406 of 3,438
I'd like to point out that the sound leakage is due to the acoustic ring around the cup (ie. the gap between the cup and the headphone body), changing pads probably won't do much to help the sound leakage, if you're playing music at the level that sound is leaking.

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #1,407 of 3,438

The advice worked

DemonFox has Alpha Pads on his. Sounds like the white mounting ring is the same as the early Denons used and yes, they can be challenging to get off. Have three sets myself, two with Alpha pads on them. Most comfortable pads I've tried, and I've done over 25 or so all totaled. The Alpha pads do not help with leakage.

Getting them off isn't that tough (laughs childishly). I live the look and feel but the sound difference isn't that great. Comfort alone is already good so this just take it up a notch. I do find them a lot more comfy than the Alphas I had on my D7000's

Sorry for the bad pictures but you get the idea. The sound does leak but the Alpha's do provide a little better seal so its not as bad. Either way I don't care. TH600's would sound amazing if I were using tin foil as ear pads 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #1,408 of 3,438

You have to rotate it. Look at the groves and just go in that direction. They are super easy to snap back into place too and once you do it once or twice you'll be a pro! 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #1,410 of 3,438
Hi guys.
Thought I'd post a few random albums/artists I've been listening to and loving on these headphones. Posted them in another thread but its more about how amazing they are on the TH600 :) They are making me seek out and explore lots of new stuff (and high quality FLACs and such more), and often genres I didn't use to as much.. vocals sound amazing too. I've never enjoyed music so much and have been even occasionally just sitting and listening with my eyes closed a bit - something I should do more often methinks.

Atoms For Peace - Amok (Thom Yorke + electronica, nuff said - check out the recent music video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWrUEsVrdSU)
Yeasayer
Arctic Monkeys - AM
Memotone (William Yates)
Hiatus Kaiyote (awesome soul/funk band, they're on the GTA5 soundtrack)
Mala
Chillstep like Phaeleh, Synthetic Epiphany
Trentemoller's new album 'Lost'
Leatherette (Ninja Tune label same as Four Tet, full of gems)
Emika (as above)
Gaslamp Killer, Flying Lotus etc

If you're into experimental electronica (IDM, Glitch etc) I highly recommend checking out Enig'matik Records. Based here in Australia
http://enigmatiksounds.bandcamp.com/

Mr Bill is a genius too - https://soundcloud.com/mrbillstunes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back