Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Feb 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #361 of 3,438
Quote:
If by superior you mean less in quantity, I don't want it. Nor can I afford something so exorbitantly priced.

I love the stock D7000 for what it is. If I wanted tighter bass, etc, I would get one of the million of other closed headphones that do that well, like a pair of Mad Dogs. Call it bass distortion or whatnot, but that's what made the D7000 stand out for me. The bass was different in an awesome way. Didn't ever wanna touch that, which is why I didn't mod mine.

Already have the K702 Anniversary as my warm, very balanced headphone. Don't need another. Looking for that D7000-type fun. Never should have sold it. Kicking myself every day.

By superior I mean the TH900's bass has far less harmonic distortion, so it sounds cleaner and will vary more from track to track. Both headphones actually have the same level of bass quantity more or less, and the TH900 is still a very bassy headphone. The TH900 is nothing like the Mad Dogs.

I think you'd have a better idea if you listened to the TH900. Cleaning up the distortion doesn't make the bass any less fun-sounding, it just improves the resolution and texture while keeping it out of the midrange through better delineation. To my ears there's no sonic advantage to the D7000. The only advantage is price. That's why it doesn't make much sense to me to wish for the TH600 to be another D7000. With all due respect, if you miss the D7000 so much why not buy a D7000 again? You can still find b-stock or get one used, and you wont pay as much as you would for a new TH600.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #362 of 3,438
I would buy the D7000. Just not for the inflated prices. Trust me, I'm on the hunt. That, and I want the late D7000s which were improved over the earlier ones. I had the 2012 model, so I don't wanna end up with one that was inferior to the ones I owned.

The reason I'm hopeful is because street price of the TH-600 may come down to D7000 levels (hopefully).

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #363 of 3,438
Quote:

By superior I mean the TH900's bass has far less harmonic distortion, so it sounds cleaner and will vary more from track to track. Both headphones actually have the same level of bass quantity more or less, and the TH900 is still a very bassy headphone. The TH900 is nothing like the Mad Dogs.

I think you'd have a better idea if you listened to the TH900. Cleaning up the distortion doesn't make the bass any less fun-sounding, it just improves the resolution and texture while keeping it out of the midrange through better delineation. To my ears there's no sonic advantage to the D7000. The only advantage is price. That's why it doesn't make much sense to me to wish for the TH600 to be another D7000. With all due respect, if you miss the D7000 so much why not buy a D7000 again? You can still find b-stock or get one used, and you wont pay as much as you would for a new TH600.

One of the first headphones I owned was the D7000 and I regret to this day selling it.  I didn't sell it to move on but rather get out of head-fi altogether (look at how that turned out for me...).  The D7000 is a fantastic headphone that's main advantage is that it draws you in to the music and is extremely fun.  It does that while being comfortable and looking good.

However, the TH-900 is a few steps up from the D7000 on all aspects.  In my experience it is a more significant upgrade than the step up from the LCD-2.2 to the LCD-3s.  Far more than the usual "10% more SQ" phrase that is used in reference to those two headphones.

The TH-900 is the bigger more refined brother of the D7000, it keeps a lot of the same traits, but just does them all on a much more sophisticated level.

I regret listening to the TH-900s, because every headphone I own or have owned is compared to them, and none of them measure up well enough OVERALL to serve as a substitute.  I will of course purchase the TH-600s and see how they measure up, but I do not expect them to be able to replace the TH-900s even if I was to accept sacrifices in some areas.  It is great to have an option such as the TH-600 at the sub-1k price point, though.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #364 of 3,438
Quote:
I would buy the D7000. Just not for the inflated prices. Trust me, I'm on the hunt. That, and I want the late D7000s which were improved over the earlier ones. I had the 2012 model, so I don't wanna end up with one that was inferior to the ones I owned.

The reason I'm hopeful is because street price of the TH-600 may come down to D7000 levels (hopefully).

Sorry, not trying to come off as though I'm pressing the issue.  My post was being typed while you posted this.  I would snatch up a D7000 in a heart beat if I found it at the right price.  I loved that headphone - even if I have the TH-900.   It was my first real high-end headphone and I will always regret selling it...especially for the price I sold it for at the time.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #365 of 3,438

Looking at Innerfidelity's graphs for the 2012 D7000s, no wonder I didn't want anything changed.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #367 of 3,438
I was surprised to see the improvement the 2012 Denon models showed on those measurements. I was able to find a late 2012 D2000, and it definitely makes me interested in these new Fostex headphones, or looking for a reasonably priced late D7000

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #368 of 3,438
Quote:

I thought the d7000's always stayed at 1k :s maybe just me not checking on them while they were in production. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #374 of 3,438
Quote:
However, the TH-900 is a few steps up from the D7000 on all aspects.  In my experience it is a more significant upgrade than the step up from the LCD-2.2 to the LCD-3s.  Far more than the usual "10% more SQ" phrase that is used in reference to those two headphones.  
The TH-900 is the bigger more refined brother of the D7000, it keeps a lot of the same traits, but just does them all on a much more sophisticated level.

I regret listening to the TH-900s, because every headphone I own or have owned is compared to them, and none of them measure up well enough OVERALL to serve as a substitute.  I will of course purchase the TH-600s and see how they measure up, but I do not expect them to be able to replace the TH-900s even if I was to accept sacrifices in some areas.  It is great to have an option such as the TH-600 at the sub-1k price point, though.

Since you have the W3000ANV, did you compare it to the TH900? I would be very interested in that comparison. AFAIK the Fostex are less colored and more "meutral" in a bassy kind of way. Maybe you can link me if you did a review in another thread since we technically are talking about the TH600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back