Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jun 27, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #3,211 of 3,438
Here's a quick lnk to a review regarding the TH-600 and gaming. I'll get back to you guys tomorrow regarding gaming since I just got these. 

http://headphone.guru/fostex-th-600-luxury-in-stealth/

Quote:
  Does anyone use the TH600 (or more specifically massdrop THX00, purpleheart) for Gaming? If so, any input?  I would not get them specifically for this, but it would be about 30% of my use. I dont want to spring the cash if it is not versatile enough for use in gaming. (A mic is no issue, I use a Blue Yeti)

Has anyone considered swapping the cups with the E-MU Teak cups? I feel like those ebony cups would look great on these guys.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #3,212 of 3,438
Has anyone tried these with ZMF lambskin pads? Read a fair few impressions about alpha pads, but couldnt find anything about the ZMF's. Cheers!

Also there is some conflicting information about alpha pads, some say the treble becomes hotter while others say the midbass is boosted and the treble bbecomes smoother. The ZMF pads are quite similar to the alphas and im not really sure how they will change the sound due to these variable opinions.

Cheers!

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #3,213 of 3,438

Has anyone considered swapping the cups with the E-MU Teak cups? I feel like those ebony cups would look great on these guys.

There's quite a few people, including myself, who have E-MU Ebony cups on their X00's. Same chassis as the 600. Several pics over in the X00 thread.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #3,216 of 3,438
To those cups affect the sound at all, or are they just cosmetic? Also, can one buy just the cups?

If you dampen the cups...then not really....if you don't, then yes. Also, yes

What he said.

You can contact Chan from E-MU and purchase cups directly from him. You even get to pick out the individual cups you want. The actual Teak cups are only available with the E-Mu Teak headphones though.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #3,217 of 3,438
Ok, let me clarify. I have the Lawton mod now on my stock TH600 cups. If I get some wood cups, say rosewood, from E-MU, what would be the change in sound?

Also, any idea how much the various cups cost?

Thanks

Aug 14, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #3,218 of 3,438

Please see this shelf-liner mod below to take the edge off the treble if you find them bright/peaky..
http://www.head-fi.org/t/631594/fostex-th600-dynamic-headphones/2400#post_11109568

Dirt cheap insta-fix.

When I modded mine it was much more neutral, and you can make this headphone even sound refined.

Yet would say even stock th600 sound to have more resolution and soundstage than the the new thx00 wooden cups version.

Has anyone tried these with ZMF lambskin pads? Read a fair few impressions about alpha pads, but couldnt find anything about the ZMF's. Cheers!

Also there is some conflicting information about alpha pads, some say the treble becomes hotter while others say the midbass is boosted and the treble bbecomes smoother. The ZMF pads are quite similar to the alphas and im not really sure how they will change the sound due to these variable opinions.

Cheers!

Alpha pads have smaller inner diameter.
Not good idea.
Not sure but if ZMF OMNI pads should be larger and work.

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #3,220 of 3,438
Hello members joined the club here and picked up a pair of fostex th600's with a number #1 Lawton mod and lambskin ear pads from member DaDewil a few weeks back.

Been wanting a pair of these since I heard Allan Marcus's pair at a Albuquerque Headfi event earlier this summer. In fact at the
Head-Fi event some of us were shooting out the TH600 with the Massdrop TH-XX00 Fostex and I preferred the sound signature of the TH600 as it had more inner detail, bass response slam and control and a deeper, wider soundstage. The Massdrop fostex was smooth and pleasant with good bass response and good treble detail but simply was not as fun and emotionally involving as the TH600. The TH-XXOO was a more centered in the head and forward neutrality with the TH600 drama missing imho.

I mostly listen to classical, early music, baroque and modern chamber music, monumental symphonic music such as Bruckner, Brahms, Sibelius as well as a lot of krautrock. Orchestral bass strings have never sounded better I'm in heaven and the pulsating electronics of Klaus Schulze Tangerine Dream, Cluster etc are absolutely wonderfull.
The timbrel integrity and textures these headphones put forth are astoundingly vivid, I could not be happier!

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #3,222 of 3,438
  @Monte Verdi, how much difference does the Lawton mod make over the stock TH-600 in your opinion?

The one he heard at the meet was mine, and it's lawton modded. 

I didn't the modding, so I heard the before and after. The mod tights up the bass a bit. Some would say with less bass there is more treble, but I don't think there is. 

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #3,223 of 3,438
DavidA, I Sadly cannot answer that for you but there is plenty of information on head-fi as far as I know and other websites in regards to this. I've only heard the headphones with the Lawton mod 1 meaning mine and Allan's, so my only reference.

But with a proper headphone amplifier with a good power supply not a walwart or switching power supply, these in my experience are better then the Massdrop Fostex version of the TH-XX00. Just to clarify a mediocre headphone amplifier with a weak power supply will cause the bass region to bleed into the mid-range from my experience at the Albuquerque Head-fi event listening session.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #3,224 of 3,438
DavidA, I Sadly cannot answer that for you but there is plenty of information on head-fi as far as I know and other websites in regards to this. I've only heard the headphones with the Lawton mod 1 meaning mine and Allan's, so my only reference.

But with a proper headphone amplifier with a good power supply not a walwart or switching power supply, these in my experience are better then the Massdrop Fostex version of the TH-XX00. Just to clarify a mediocre headphone amplifier with a weak power supply will cause the bass region to bleed into the mid-range from my experience at the Albuquerque Head-fi event listening session.

Thanks for the quick reply, I have 3 decent amps in the Ember, Asgard2 and Lyr2, but I like my TH-600 best with the headphone jack of the UD-301, seems the best pairing to me. 

The one he heard at the meet was mine, and it's lawton modded. 

I didn't the modding, so I heard the before and after. The mod tights up the bass a bit. Some would say with less bass there is more treble, but I don't think there is. 

Thanks for the quick reply also, I might try the Lawton mod in the future if I don't get a TH-900 first, but first I need to update my chain (DAC & amp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back