Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Oct 25, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #2,986 of 3,438
  Sibilence?? Only some bad recordings.

Besides, why you have the EQ ?? It is always easy to correct an excess, but add no where ...

Cheers

No two ears are the same. I personally get lots of sibilance on the TH600. I find a very minor adjustment brings it down to a very manageable level. 

-3dB @ 8Khz 

That's all I need to turn the TH600 from a glaring ear shredding headphone into a comfortable sound. It's definitely more fatiguing than other headphones but it's worth it!

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #2,987 of 3,438
Just got the TH900's from a trade from another user.

Right off the bat after having them on for 15 mins and switching back and forth to the TH600 a few times.. 

TH900 = more balanced, less sub bass, lower sibilance in the 8Khz region that kills my ears on the TH600. Higher resolution.

TH600 = more V/U shaped. Sub bass rumbles better. Treble spikes more and you get more Ssss sizzle. 

TH900 sounds better than the TH600 EQed to tame the sibilance and give it some fun sub bass boost. TH900 sub bass is better defined and less boomy.

Overall the TH900 is smoother. I think I've read that on here before but it is 2nded again.

I might just keep my TH600's at work with EQ and keep the TH900 at home so I don't have to lug around two pairs. 

Overall me gusta. Both are absolutely astonishing headphones and blow other headphones in fun factor. 

EDIT: Gear used is a Schiit Lyr 2 (Amperex 7308 vintage tubes) + Uberfrost stack coming from a Creative SB ZxR via Optical Out with and without EQ and music is Tidal HiFi and a turntable with some rock and metal albums. Sibilance tends to glare more for me since I listen to more offensive (to the ear) music. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #2,988 of 3,438

Right off the bat after having them on for 15 mins and switching back and forth to the TH600 a few times.. 

TH900 = more balanced, less sub bass, lower sibilance in the 8Khz region that kills my ears on the TH600. Higher resolution.

TH600 = more V/U shaped. Sub bass rumbles better. Treble spikes more and you get more Ssss sizzle. 

TH900 sounds better than the TH600 EQed to tame the sibilance and give it some fun sub bass boost. TH900 sub bass is better defined and less boomy.

Overall the TH900 is smoother. I think I've read that on here before but it is 2nded again.

I might just keep my TH600's at work with EQ and keep the TH900 at home so I don't have to lug around two pairs. 

Overall me gusta. Both are absolutely astonishing headphones and blow other headphones in fun factor. 

Thanks for sharing

Which amp are you using ? Which source ?

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #2,989 of 3,438
  Thanks for sharing

Which amp are you using ? Which source ?

Gear used is a Schiit Lyr 2 (Amperex 7308 vintage tubes) + Uberfrost stack coming from a Creative SB ZxR via Optical Out with and without EQ and music is Tidal HiFi and a turntable with some rock and metal albums. Sibilance tends to glare more for me since I listen to more offensive (to the ear) music. 

Few more notes, the TH600 sounds a notch darker which gives it a further away more distant sound and the TH900 has a more forward in your face sound that can make some changes to the soundstage a little. 

Furthermore the TH900 sounds better unEQed than the TH600 sounds EQed by a small margin. I've gotten into EQing recently because I love the TH600 so much and had to do something about that sibilance. 

These are my opinions and thoughts and others may and will vary so take these with a grain of salt and don't take offense. :)

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #2,990 of 3,438

On the Extreme Basshead thread, there is visual proof of the opposite.
The TH900 is sits at # 2 & the TH600 is lower at somewhere around #5 or #6?

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #2,991 of 3,438

On the Extreme Basshead thread, there is visual proof of the opposite.
The TH900 is sits at # 2 & the TH600 is lower at somewhere around #5 or #6?

I could be that the pads on the TH600 are new and the TH900's are a bit more worn in. Also the 6-8Khz spike could have some effect on it. 

Another thing could be the materials. Metal could possibly resonate and vibrate more on the head giving it a more physical impression of rumble than wood which would absorb a lot of it. 

A graph doesn't like and I'm not disputing it but I can only defend what my ears hear. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #2,992 of 3,438
Anybody have any any experience using creatology foam for dampening?

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #2,993 of 3,438
Well. I just read from page 190 to here. Hit checkout on Amazon for a pair of these, then saw on the last few pages that these aren't fully closed.

Planning to use these at work, how bad is the sound leakage?

EDIT: Sitting at home with my K702s, if I hold it in my hands with the ear pads blocked (to check leakage), even this amount is probably OK for my office. Only background noise I have right now is my AC. So I'm gonna assume the TH600s will be okay. If not.. meh my coworkers can deal with some leakage.

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #2,995 of 3,438
  Less than open, but marginally a bit worse than fully closed.

Should be fine then. I sprung for 1-day shipping on amazon, so I'll find out for sure on Friday lol.

I listen to EDM mostly now, so these headphones seemed like the best fit. Would've loved to grab some D7000s, but I had $175 in amazon gift cards so that  sealed the deal for me >_>

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #2,996 of 3,438
Well. I just read from page 190 to here. Hit checkout on Amazon for a pair of these, then saw on the last few pages that these aren't fully closed.

EDIT: Sitting at home with my K702s, if I hold it in my hands with the ear pads blocked (to check leakage), even this amount is probably OK for my office. Only background noise I have right now is my AC. So I'm gonna assume the TH600s will be okay. If not.. meh my coworkers can deal with some leakage.
Just try not to play them loud at all maybe as low as you can and you should be alright.

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #2,997 of 3,438

If closed like M50 is zero leakage, TH-600 would be about 5-10% leakage

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #2,998 of 3,438

My impression was a bit different, with the TH900 being more U-shaped and the TH600 more linear, but I did hear the TH900 as smoother overall as well. You may be right that new vs. used pads may have had an influence in your case... my impressions came from two new sets I received on the same day, so both in mint condition.

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #2,999 of 3,438

My impression was a bit different, with the TH900 being more U-shaped and the TH600 more linear, but I did hear the TH900 as smoother overall as well. You may be right that new vs. used pads may have had an influence in your case... my impressions came from two new sets I received on the same day, so both in mint condition.

100% agree with this. This is exactly how I experienced the differences too.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #3,000 of 3,438

As I stepped forward, this weekend we made our Spanish forum meeting and finally I could compare my TH600 to TH900.

First of all I have to tell you that I am not an audiophile expert, and am guided by my personal tastes. I was doing several times A / B with several colleagues, I have a Violectric remind V90 and is perfect for this, because it has two jacks for connecting 2 headphones simultaneously. Not only me, but more people found it difficult to find differences first. In my humble appreciation, differences I could find were the most powerful bass in TH900, but something more than in TH600 subgraves. The voices more advanced in the 900, and treble more accurate in 900, along with a little more transparency.

TH900 are obviously better, that I will not deny, but really the differences are very small and unjustified price difference between the two. I totally agree with colleagues who have said that a 600 is 90% of 900. True, the aesthetic appearance is also in the top 900, but again, still not justified the price difference.

Finally, I also wanted to mention that if you like and are used to the sound of Fostex is very difficult to find other headphones that impact you . At the meeting were better than just hit the market, Audeze LCD4 , HIFIMAN HE1000 , STAX 009 , and the best of the best made ​​by peers. The full range of Audeze . HD800 several different rewired . Not to mention the best of the best also in amplifiers and there was nothing that made me say WOW . The ones I liked were the Audeze LCD XC closed . I found them very good, very good bass , delicious mids and a trebles, softer than Fostex, but the return to business as before, the price difference with the Fostex is abysmal . And by the way, the weight is unsufrible for over half an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back