Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Aug 17, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #2,851 of 3,438
  I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the TH600's when I read some good comments about the Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI which got me interested in it as well. I posted this question on the FAD Pandora Hope VI thread without any responses so far. Does anyone have experience comparing the TH600 with the FAD VI? If they have, is the VI a bright can? I consider the T1, DT880 and K712 as too bright with a lack of bass for my tastes. Cans with bass I like (yet still have good detail) are HD650, LCD 2.2 and HE400. To my ears, I found the HD600 and ESP950 a little boring, so I guess I like a somewhat colored sound signature? However, from memory, I found the AH-D2000 to be a little veiled with a little too much bass, (never tried the D5000 or D7000). This sounds like I am a basshead, but I don't think of myself as one, I still value clear shimmering highs and detailed but warm mids.

Do you think the FAD VI or the TH600 would be the better can for me, and why?
TIA for any input!

I have tried both the FAD Pandora hope VI and the TH600, actually they were both on my list before I got my TH600. If you are looking for excellent bass, you look no further than the TH600 (or the TH900 if you have the money). It probably has the best bass of all the headphones you listed above. The TH600 also has a awesome soundstage, a fun V-shaped signature and a recessed bass (my only complaint). On the other hand, the FAD will give you a V-shapeds signature too, but it has a less recessed mid that gives it a more engaging signiture. However, the biggest deal-breaker for myself when I chose between the two headphones was comfort!! The TH600 is super comfortable, but the FAD Pandora VI was way too heavy! I was physically exhausted after 30 mins of having it on my head.

That is the story of how I got my TH600, lol.
You should try both of them if you have the chance since the Pandora VI has a wonderful signature that is great as well!

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #2,852 of 3,438
I'm looking for deep bassy, punchy, fun musical headphones to compliment my Beyerdynamics T1.

I was really interested in the TH-900, until I found out that the highs/treble was harsh & even painful sounding.
Also the bass was fast & boring sounding despite the good kick. Big turn off for me

So here I am in the TH600 thread.

How are they for bass? I know it has kick, which is why I am interested, but how is the quality/texture to it?
Treble harsh or forward at all?

I had the Philips Fidelio X1, which had very strong bass, but they bleed in to other regions & sounded a bit bit muddy. Is it fair to say the Philips X1 compares to the TH-600?
Basically would the Th600 be a side grade or upgrade from them?

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #2,853 of 3,438
  I'm looking for deep bassy, punchy, fun musical headphones to compliment my Beyerdynamics T1.

I was really interested in the TH-900, until I found out that the highs/treble was harsh & even painful sounding.
Also the bass was fast & boring sounding despite the good kick. Big turn off for me

How are they for bass? I know it has kick, which is why I am interested, but how is the quality/texture to it?

I had the Philips Fidelio X1, which had very strong bass, but they bleed in to other regions & sounded a bit bit muddy. Is it fair to say the Philips X1 compares to the TH-600?

If you've actually listened Th-900 and didn't like it, then you won't like the TH600 either, and vice versa. Your comment didn't make clear whether you listened to it or simply read up about it.

In terms of harshness, it has a U shaped sound signature, so there is an edge to the treble for sure. Whether it is too much will depend on how sensitive your ears are to treble. However, it is noticeably less harsh than the Denon D2000, the Fostex made predecessor to the TH600 which it shares the same design with.

The bass is anything but boring though and it does not bleed into the midrange to my ears. I havent heard the Fidelio X1, so I can't compare with it.

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #2,854 of 3,438

If you found the highs/treble harsh on the TH-900 then the TH-600 might not be right for you as they are fairly close in sound signatures.  I tried a TH-900 and found that the TH-600 gave me 98% of the TH-900 for 50% of the cost and as gorgeous as those cups are on the TH-900 I could see them getting scratch too easily.  The highs of the TH-900 are smoother and more extended than the TH-600 but it was not something that is easily noticeable.

Compared to the X1 the TH-600 bass is tighter, more controlled and goes a little lower IMO.  The highs/treble of the TH-600 is a little smoother than the X1 and very slightly more forward.  For me it depends on the genre of music that I'm listening to and the quality of the rest of the system, for on the go the X1 is easy to drive so my fiio X3ii/X3 work really well while the TH-600 is more suited to home use with UD-301 and project Ember.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #2,855 of 3,438
@Thenewguy007

If you are sensitive to treble and love bass, take a look at the JVC HP-DX1000. They are a little more bass-heavy by default than even the Fostex TH-600, but don't respond as much to EQ. I can get my the TH-600 to rattle my ears a lot, but the DX1000 moves them only a little. 

I've been trying to decide if/which I should sell between the two. The Fostex TH-600 is a little more fun, but has an annoying peak at ~5500Hz that I prefer to EQ out (gets better with burn in, though). The JVC HP-DX1000 has a little more bass without EQ (less with EQ) and has no treble peaks to speak of.

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #2,856 of 3,438
  If you found the highs/treble harsh on the TH-900 then the TH-600 might not be right for you as they are fairly close in sound signatures.  I tried a TH-900 and found that the TH-600 gave me 98% of the TH-900

@Thenewguy007

If you are sensitive to treble and love bass, take a look at the JVC HP-DX1000. They are a little more bass-heavy by default than even the Fostex TH-600, but don't respond as much to EQ. I can get my the TH-600 to rattle my ears a lot, but the DX1000 moves them only a little.

If you've actually listened Th-900 and didn't like it, then you won't like the TH600 either, and vice versa. Your comment didn't make clear whether you listened to it or simply read up about it.

At first I was interested in it when people were saying it was the successor to the Denon D7000.
That it was the most fun high end headphone out now. The perfect headphones for Hip-Hop, dance & R&B.
A lot of people said  it was better in every way to JVC's flagship headphone, the DX-1000.

I thought they were supposed to be thumping, fun & musical, like a good alternative to the LCD-2 for bass.

I then read through a Fostex TH-900 comparison thread....

A few people said the highs were harsh, ear piercing & even painful.
The bass is one of the hardest hitting, but also boring?
They get described as both bassy & bright at the same time.

I'm not sure what the sound signature on them is. Other than that the TH600 has slower decay & can be considered more "fun" than the TH900 because of it.

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #2,857 of 3,438
I'll be selling my mint TH600's (3 months old), to free up some cash for the new Schiit Gungnirir Multibit. I'll be posting them in the classifieds in a few days. I won't be home to ship them until next tuesday.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #2,858 of 3,438

At first I was interested in it when people were saying it was the successor to the Denon D7000.
That it was the most fun high end headphone out now. The perfect headphones for Hip-Hop, dance & R&B.
A lot of people said  it was better in every way to JVC's flagship headphone, the DX-1000.

I thought they were supposed to be thumping, fun & musical, like a good alternative to the LCD-2 for bass.

I'm not sure what the sound signature on them is. Other than that the TH600 has slower decay & can be considered more "fun" than the TH900 because of it.

The bass is anything but unfun on both the TH600 and TH900. They are the successors to the Denon Dx000 line, made by the same company that made those headphones (Foster Electronics).

The bass is indeed one of the hardest hitting of any headphone. They are also bright, particularly around 5500Hz. If you're sensitive to that frequency, it might bother you. I wouldn't describe them as ear piercing or painful compared to most "bright" headphones that I've heard.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #2,859 of 3,438

So I take it you have never listened to any of the Denons or Fostex headphones then? That's a very important detail to know because they all share a very similar sound signature. Chances are, if you've liked any of them, then you will like them all. I have the D2000 and TH600. The sound signature remained the same for the most part, except for the treble being less harsh on the TH600.

Yes, these headphones (Fostex and Denons) are all bassy and bright. But not in a bad way. That's a big part of what makes them fun. The deep extended bass w/ low distortion is what sets them apart from other headphones. It is ample but without covering up the rest of the music.

From what I read, people are saying that the TH900 are successors to the D7000, and the TH600 are successors to the D5000. They do seem to be priced in that way.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #2,860 of 3,438

The bass is anything but unfun on both the TH600 and TH900. They are the successors to the Denon Dx000 line, made by the same company that made those headphones (Foster Electronics).

The bass is indeed one of the hardest hitting of any headphone. They are also bright, particularly around 5500Hz. If you're sensitive to that frequency, it might bother you. I wouldn't describe them as ear piercing or painful compared to most "bright" headphones that I've heard.

Shelf liner mod for that peak..
http://www.head-fi.org/t/631594/fostex-th600-dynamic-headphones/2400#post_11109568

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #2,862 of 3,438
Aug 18, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #2,865 of 3,438

I had both the TH900 and now have the TH600. They do have slightly different sound signatures. In my experience the TH900 has a much deeper sound stage. This is actually not good as it makes vocals sound even more recessed than the TH600. I also feel that the TH900 is more recessed in the mid range in general.

In addition, the TH600 bass is different than the TH900. The TH600 is more mid bass oriented while the TH900 is sub bass oriented. I did not really enjoy the TH900 bass as I felt the sub-bass was distracting from other elements of the sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back