Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Apr 15, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #2,626 of 3,438
Got mine today! Some initial impressions.

That bass... Yum. Run the Jewels and Shongle are a real treat on these. Very fun and subwoofery.

Overall detail is pretty good, on par with my HE-400i though different due to the way their signatures highlight different parts of the music.

The mids dont sound recessed to me as much as bone dry. Not necessarily a bad thing but these headphones are more about consonants than vowels if that makes sense. It works well with some songs and less so with others.

The treble is unoffensive overall but there is a peak that sounds awful on a few songs.

The soundstage is excellent. More open sounding than my P7. A little diffuse but less so than my Audio Technica AD900x.

The leakage is thankfully not bad at all. Less than Apple earbuds. Not a problem for the office. People can that Im listening to something but they cant tell what it is.

Overall these are a solid upgrade to my P7s. They are noticeably cleaner and less congested sounding. I probably wouldnt be happy with the mids if these were my only headphones but they arent :D These definitely have a distinct signature and Im digging it.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #2,627 of 3,438
I've had the TH600 for probably 6 months or so now. I've been using a Lyr with Siemens CCA & Amperex Bugle Boy tubes. I just picked up the Lake People G109S. It's not even a question - with the TH600 the Lake People amp is on a different level compared to the Schiit. The TH600 is really showing what it can do right now.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #2,628 of 3,438
I've had the TH600 for probably 6 months or so now. I've been using a Lyr with Siemens CCA & Amperex Bugle Boy tubes. I just picked up the Lake People G109S. It's not even a question - with the TH600 the Lake People amp is on a different level compared to the Schiit. The TH600 is really showing what it can do right now.

Good ole solid state for the win, yet again

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #2,629 of 3,438
Good ole solid state for the win, yet again

I'm a believer. This is my first higher quality solid state amp (I've had a magni for a few years now). I read so many positive things about tube amps and then the lyr. Over time though I've noticed that I'm literally listening to the lyr + the "coloring" added by the tubes rather than a neutral delivery of sound to my headphones. I can't speak for what other tube amps sound like but I'm digging the solid state.

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #2,630 of 3,438
Just got my TH-600 a few days ago, impressed with it so far, a different sound signature from my other head phones, after reading the few post above I'm wondering if a new SS amp would be a better route than getting a TH-900.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #2,631 of 3,438
I got mine on Thursday and have logged about 5 hours so far.  I like them but must admit, I'm a bit underwhelmed so far, especially for the price.  Comfort, build and packaging are all excellent but the sound has been a little hit and miss.

Nine Inch Nails - Broken and Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Isis, both sound fantastic: Best I've heard.  R.E.M. - Murmur was good but missing a bit of detail in parts.  Same with Interpol - Our Love To Admire.  On the Black Key's - El Camino, the bass was really overdone to the point of taking away from the songs. El Camino sounds wonderful on my HiFiMan HE-400 and Swan MKIII speakers, so I don't think it's the recording.

I'm really appreciating what a fantastic headphone the HiFiMan HE-400 is, especially, now at $299.  Hoping some burn in / ear adjustment time will improve my opinion of the TH-600's.  I like them, was just hoping I'd like them more.

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #2,632 of 3,438
  I got mine on Thursday and have logged about 5 hours so far.  I like them but must admit, I'm a bit underwhelmed so far, especially for the price.  Comfort, build and packaging are all excellent but the sound has been a little hit and miss.

Nine Inch Nails - Broken and Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Isis, both sound fantastic: Best I've heard.  R.E.M. - Murmur was good but missing a bit of detail in parts.  Same with Interpol - Our Love To Admire.  On the Black Key's - El Camino, the bass was really overdone to the point of taking away from the songs. El Camino sounds wonderful on my HiFiMan HE-400 and Swan MKIII speakers, so I don't think it's the recording.

I'm really appreciating what a fantastic headphone the HiFiMan HE-400 is, especially, now at $299.  Hoping some burn in / ear adjustment time will improve my opinion of the TH-600's.  I like them, was just hoping I'd like them more.

The stock TH600/TH900 are not for everyone. You may appreciate the Lawton Level 1 mod documented here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/748434/dampening-modifications-to-fostex-th600-headphones

Please no hating on me but I was ready to toss my TH600, now I listen to them 8 hours a day.

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #2,633 of 3,438

The stock TH600/TH900 are not for everyone. You may appreciate the Lawton Level 1 mod documented here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/748434/dampening-modifications-to-fostex-th600-headphones

Please no hating on me but I was ready to toss my TH600, now I listen to them 8 hours a day.

Well, I have a level 2 Lawton, and I will say that I bet many wouldn't like the change.  The treble is strong with this one now.  And I've had to rethink the coloring of the amp I throw at these...

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #2,634 of 3,438

Well, I have a level 2 Lawton, and I will say that I bet many wouldn't like the change.  The treble is strong with this one now.  And I've had to rethink the coloring of the amp I throw at these...

For myself, I never noticed an increase in treble, but the treble was easier to hear after eliminating the upper midrange distortion. I'm driving them with a Burson Conductor SL 9018 which is very neutral through the mid/highs, but seems to add a bit of thump to the very bottom which is right up my alley.

Maybe I didn't realize the Burson was keeping the highs in check.

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #2,635 of 3,438
I'm not saying the treble is harsh, just expect more quantity if going the Lawton direction.  You might be describing it better in saying its just more accurate.  Its a welcome switch from my MDR-Z7s and HD650s....

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #2,636 of 3,438

That's something to consider, especially, since my amp/DAC are on the warm side of neutral.  I'm not to the point of taking drastic measures though.  I put in a couple more hours of listening time today and was much happier with the results.  Hopefully, this trend continues.

Apr 19, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #2,638 of 3,438

That's interesting. Once I got the TH600 my HE400 started collecting dust and I ultimately sold them. I found the TH600 to be all around a considerably better headphone. To be fair, I don't really listen to the genres of music you're into. Based on your latest post though it sounds like you're beginning to enjoy the Fostex a little more than when you first put them on.

Apr 19, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #2,639 of 3,438
More treble is the last thing the TH600 or TH900 need.

+1... A warm dac or amp and these headphones have very little complaints to my ears.  Certainly one of the most comfortable headphones around.  The only complaint I can really throw out there for anyone looking for this to be their only headphone is the bass tilt causes vocal recordings without a pop-filter to accentuate the "P"s, "T"s, and "S"s...  Terrible for the many podcasts I listen to about whisk(e)y and mixology. 

That's interesting. Once I got the TH600 my HE400 started collecting dust and I ultimately sold them. I found the TH600 to be all around a considerably better headphone. To be fair, I don't really listen to the genres of music you're into. Based on your latest post though it sounds like you're beginning to enjoy the Fostex a little more than when you first put them on.

I happened to have a similar experience with my HE-4s.  Everything the HE-4s could do, the TH600s could do just as well with a healthy bit more comfort.  Comfort for me is the #1 priority over anything else though.  With limited time to actually listen any more, enjoying the music is a good deal easier when I'm not fiddling around with positioning and trying to avoid pressure points.

(I have to add, that was until I stumbled upon the Audeze micro-suede earpads.  These add a level of comfort for my HE-4s that nothing can touch!  Mids became a tad more forward as well, so the sound signature change has made them the perfect accent to the 

Can anyone else comment on other synergistic pairing with the TH600?  I didn't find them complementary to any of my other gear, though enjoyable straight from my iPad and phone even if not as controlled as pair with my AudioGD...

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #2,640 of 3,438
Rant Removed
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back