Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
May 30, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #2,236 of 3,438
Thats cool haha. I wonder how the people look at you with these headphones on. You might look like beeing from another planet but at the same time you laugh at them with their beats by dre...
Lol, I get the funniest stares from the people with the beats. If they can wear their cans why can't I. I'm sure they're thinking what's this crappy headphone this guy has on. Must sound like crap compared to my awesome beats.

I get funnier stares when I pull out my rig to change the song or EQ. It's a DX50/PB2 stack.

I'll recable my TH600s soon so they're 1.2m and improve portability

May 30, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #2,237 of 3,438
  Thats cool haha. I wonder how the people look at you with these headphones on. You might look like beeing from another planet but at the same time you laugh at them with their beats by dre...

Walking around on the streets of Tokyo, the Fostex would look the norm, not the Beats....

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #2,238 of 3,438
Th600 has tighter bass.. ..the pandora bass is less weighty but more punchy.

Just to get back to your impressions here. After spending a little time with the Pandora it definitely isn't more punchy than the TH600 to my ears. I'll say the opposite in fact. I'm amazed really at that you hear it that way. To me punchy means hard hitting bass. Tightly defined stabs of bass. Better yet, impact! In comparison, the Pandora pales. What's your definition of punch? If anyone else feels like chiming in please do so. I'm here to learn.

By the way, was about to sell this headphone but am glad right now I haven't done it yet. Looking into the Lawton Level 1 mod to see if it would tighten things up.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #2,239 of 3,438
  Just to get back to your impressions here. After spending a little time with the Pandora it definitely isn't more punchy than the TH600 to my ears. I'll say the opposite in fact. I'm amazed really at that you hear it that way. To me punchy means hard hitting bass. Tightly defined stabs of bass. Better yet, impact! In comparison, the Pandora pales. What's your definition of punch? If anyone else feels like chiming in please do so. I'm here to learn.

Probably depends on where in the frequency range the "punch" is located at, I suppose. Different types of music have their beat or "thump" located at different frequencies. The "punch" he's hearing with his preferred music might fall on a different frequency band compared to the "stabs" you hear with your music. That's just my uneducated opinion. I've not heard the FAD Pandoras in anger yet.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #2,240 of 3,438
I know the old Denon line and the Fostex headphones are basically the same design... but does the Lawton Level 1 mod apply the same way? I'm having trouble deciding on an easy-to-drive closed headphone between the TH600 (which will eventually receive the mod) and the FAD Pandora Hope VI.

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #2,241 of 3,438
ToddTheMetalGod,

I wish I had the answer but I know Mark does, just ask him. I decided to get the Level 3 Mod (should have them middle of next month) and Mark has been extremely helpful and answered all the questions I had in extreme detail. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #2,242 of 3,438
I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones mainly for portable use. I'm considering the TH600 but for those TH600 owners were there any other options you considered? I'm also looking at Shure SRH1540 and maybe something from the Denon line. I use the HD650 at home and would like a similar sound signature for my portable - how does TH600 compare to HD650? 

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #2,243 of 3,438
  I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones mainly for portable use. I'm considering the TH600 but for those TH600 owners were there any other options you considered? I'm also looking at Shure SRH1540 and maybe something from the Denon line. I use the HD650 at home and would like a similar sound signature for my portable - how does TH600 compare to HD650? 

The TH600 are very different to the HD650, being that they are U shaped, raised in the treble and bass while the HD650 is a darker, mid emphasised can with somewhat rolled treble. The Shure 1540 is much closer to the sound signature of the HD650 overall also being a darker  can with a similar balance to the HD650. I think that if you really love the 650 sound signature the TH600 might be a bit hard to acclimatise considering the more laid back and drier mids than the HD650, which are very full compared.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #2,244 of 3,438
I know the old Denon line and the Fostex headphones are basically the same design... but does the Lawton Level 1 mod apply the same way? I'm having trouble deciding on an easy-to-drive closed headphone between the TH600 (which will eventually receive the mod) and the FAD Pandora Hope VI.

It does. I have Lawton modded D2000's, D7000's and Fostex TH900's, all but the D2000 I experienced the before and after affect and it tightens up the bass considerably. Well worth doing IMO.

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #2,245 of 3,438
  The TH600 are very different to the HD650, being that they are U shaped, raised in the treble and bass while the HD650 is a darker, mid emphasised can with somewhat rolled treble. The Shure 1540 is much closer to the sound signature of the HD650 overall also being a darker  can with a similar balance to the HD650. I think that if you really love the 650 sound signature the TH600 might be a bit hard to acclimatise considering the more laid back and drier mids than the HD650, which are very full compared.

I have both and I couldn't describe the differences better.  Maybe take a look at the Alpha Dogs for a more complimentary piece?

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #2,246 of 3,438
... I experienced the before and after affect and it tightens up the bass considerably. Well worth doing IMO.

As I'm sitting here wondering I feel a little stupid for asking this but.. would you say that the rumble and/or quantity of bass is shaved off a little by applying the Level 1 mod? What about the highs around 4-6K? Ideally I'd want those toned down a little bit too.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #2,247 of 3,438

Th600 has tighter bass.. ..the pandora bass is less weighty but more punchy.

By the way, was about to sell this headphone but am glad right now I haven't done it yet. Looking into the Lawton Level 1 mod to see if it would tighten things up.

before I begin explaining myself.

What music do you listen to? Electronic?

You have both at the same time so your impressions may be more accurate. The th600 has a more solid bass and I will agree there. I just remember feeling the bass more though the pandora was not as controlled. I was actually underwhelmed by the th600 bass impact when not boosted to be honest. But I had the pandora boosted too and never had the same in the same house.

When my second pair come in then I may correct myself.

Also @Oregonian was quite dumbfounded when I didnt feel the th600 to have enough slam so I could be wrong.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #2,249 of 3,438

As I'm sitting here wondering I feel a little stupid for asking this but.. would you say that the rumble and/or quantity of bass is shaved off a little by applying the Level 1 mod? What about the highs around 4-6K? Ideally I'd want those toned down a little bit too.

No rumble is shaved, but it is tightened up so you may perceive it is shaved because it is not muddy and therefore reverberating in there.  When I got my D7000 (totally stock) I was not impressed but after I got it back from Lawton it was like a different headphone.  Will likely never sell it (I no longer say "never" but I doubt it).  I'd sooner sell my TH900.  

No idea on the highs around 4-6, sorry. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #2,250 of 3,438
Can't the highs just be reduced with an equalizer? That's currently one of my only concerns with buying this headphone. I have no way to audition it, so I'll have to hope I'm not affected by sibilance in that range. Also, do female vocals have sibilance with this headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back