Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
May 4, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #2,206 of 3,438
Sensitivity to spikes and troughs varies from individual-to-individual. I am not very sensitive to 10KHz emphasis (like in beyerdynamic DT 880s) mostly due to ear gain, but am quite sensitive to 6KHz activity.

I think midrange would greatly affect genre versatility if it is "off". I personally found the TH600s unacceptable with live recordings.

My D2000s sounded closer to "correct" to my ears from either my desktop setup or the headphone output of my Galaxy Note 2.

May 6, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #2,207 of 3,438
I'm one of those who always bring up the treble spike - for me even at low volumes it can bother me a bit. Mind you its a matter of perspective and what one is used to. For me I prefer a fuller bodied, mid oriented sound when going for Rock, Jazz, Metal. I prefer headphones like the HD800 / T1 for classical stuff. I don't really care much about or worry about how accurate tonally something is, I just go for what I feel the most impressive sound and most enjoyment from with a certain type of music. Whether or not this disqualifies me from being able to discuss headphones in someones eyes is their choice or not - for better or worse - I cannot do this anyway not being a musician and not attending many acoustic performances. I know many who love the TH600 for metal, but for me it seems thin - but that is my perspective when coming from more mid oriented/forward cans. Likewise some prefer very bright and upfront headphones for metal, while my ears are too sensitive to the treble for that, and I go with darker thicker sounding cans like the LCD2. To many my choices for rock and metal might seem slow and too laid back to be exciting, so be it and nothing takes away from that opinion as its just as valid. I only go the way I do because I have problems with many modern recordings of such styles which are extremely fatiguing with brighter phones - and I tend to listen in the range of 75-80db so not quiet or anything - many listen lower. I won't give up these albums which are not the best recorded, as I cannot give up the music I enjoy.

Likewise, for electronic I've always preferred a type of U shaped or at least bass heavy signature (not super heavy though/not boosted with eq), some will place more merit on the midrange of the can for electronic as that is where the half of the music is if not more.

Mind you I'm a big TH600 fan overall, I'm not trying to sound highly negative or anything. The treble spike is not a deal breaker for me, and its a problem say 2/10 albums in my collection overall, just notable. I can still enjoy other genres with them, just not as much as some of my other cans with the styles.

May 8, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #2,210 of 3,438
  I measured the inner diameter to be 60x60mm.

Thanks !

Has anyone bought a replacement headband for these and how much was it ?
I tried contacting Fostex where I reside but no reply as yet....

May 8, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #2,211 of 3,438
shipping from Japan is the slowest ever!!! i bought TH600 on the 2nd of May, shipping method is EMS, if it was shipped from HK then it will take at least 5 days to be with me, yet Japan take 3-5 days just to ship it!! then you have to wait for like days more!!! what a hell!! i paid 800$ too... sadly there were no used pairs around :< and no other good site with fast shipping and good price... 

btw i used to own the TH600, but sadly used it with Yulong D100 MKII amp which is the worst 500$ i've ever spent!! its a warm amp that will take around 50% of the Treble fun!! even the WA7 with EH Tube isn't as fun as solid state amps!!

now i will get to hear the real Treble of the TH600!! since i got X-Sabre DAC and Audio-gd Master 9 amp <3  

will upgrade to TH900 too but later.

May 8, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #2,213 of 3,438
Headband or earpads?

Headband would be tricky to replace as it is partially glued on...

Ah yes, the headband plus gimbals replacement cost was what I was trying to find.

May 10, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #2,214 of 3,438
my TH600 will be here soon :3 , will put it on pink noise for 1 hour at least hehehe , the rest is for when i go to sleep next time. 

May 10, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #2,215 of 3,438
gave it one hour on the Pink Noise , so far the Treble still not as extended as it should be, also the sparkle and fun, i guess this is due it does need more burning time, i really hope

my dac is X-Sabre where the amp is Master 9. 

all had the same thing out of the box right? 

May 14, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #2,217 of 3,438
Could anybody recommend a good travel case for TH600?
Thanks in advance!

May 14, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #2,219 of 3,438
I just got the Pelican 1300 dry case, it fits but bit small.
If I take out the form I can fit HD800 as well.

Since TH600 is the same size this will do as well :wink:

May 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #2,220 of 3,438
  Mind you I'm a big TH600 fan overall, I'm not trying to sound highly negative or anything. The treble spike is not a deal breaker for me, and its a problem say 2/10 albums in my collection overall, just notable. I can still enjoy other genres with them, just not as much as some of my other cans with the styles.

It's interesting to read your thoughts on the TH600.  I'm very sensitive to sibilance in headphones, which includes treble that is too hot.  One of the things I've really enjoyed about the TH600's is that the treble sounds extremely present and accurate (to my ears), but with none of the sibilance that I'm used to with a lot of headphones.  It makes me wonder if there's a variation in your headphones (or mine, I suppose) that is presenting a slightly different sound signature. 

Anyhow, not a critique of anyone at all...just interesting thoughts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back