Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Feb 17, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #1,891 of 3,438

Could be your dacmagic at work. All of the schiit I have tried was bright to say the least. Considering the th-600 has somewhat hot treble I dunno. 

The Asgard is one of the warmer SS amps I've heard, definitely not bright. Which amps were you referring to? If you are talking about the Magni or the Mjolnir (which is bright, just aggressive) than I completely understand. I haven't heard the TH-600/Asgard 2 combo, but I could imagine it would be a good pairing. For another budget friendly amp, the M-Stage is pretty much unbeatable sub $1000 for me. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #1,893 of 3,438
An owner

If you are prepared to travel then see
Hifiheadphones
Hifilounge

If someone is willing to let me visit and test them ill bring the wine! Near to central london will be perfect! :)

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #1,894 of 3,438

The Asgard is one of the warmer SS amps I've heard, definitely not bright. Which amps were you referring to? If you are talking about the Magni or the Mjolnir (which is bright, just aggressive) than I completely understand. I haven't heard the TH-600/Asgard 2 combo, but I could imagine it would be a good pairing. For another budget friendly amp, the M-Stage is pretty much unbeatable sub $1000 for me. 

That's right, the DacMagic is neutral and Schiit Asgard 2 is warm :)

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #1,896 of 3,438
With regard to the TH600/Asgard 2 pairing, not a good match to my ears. Too warm too bassy. DAC was a Uber-Bifrost. The Yulong D100 DAC/amp combo does bass quantity much more to my liking. Gives a more detailed, airier and little leaner presentation.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #1,897 of 3,438
I have the Fostex TH600 , for a week now ,  i am really happy with . I have one question : did the TH600 have a good synergy with the Schiit Vali . Thanks

It seems improbable, but I actually quite enjoy this combo. I wrote up a description a few pages back if you want to take a look. I don't think I'm crazy either because I know there is at least one other head-fier who likes the pairing as well, but I'll let him say something if he feels like it.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #1,898 of 3,438
It seems improbable, but I actually quite enjoy this combo. I wrote up a description a few pages back if you want to take a look. I don't think I'm crazy either because I know there is at least one other head-fier who likes the pairing as well, but I'll let him say something if he feels like it.

I have seen your post , I think i'm gonna buy this little Vali . Thanks .

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #1,899 of 3,438
I'm itching to try a pair of these can anyone recommend a seller for a new pair on Ebay? The cheapest UK price I have seen is £599 (not on ebay) so preferably cheaper than the UK price....

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,900 of 3,438
I'm itching to try a pair of these can anyone recommend a seller for a new pair on Ebay? The cheapest UK price I have seen is £599 (not on ebay) so preferably cheaper than the UK price....

I got mine from SonicSense on eBay. They were ~630 USD, which I think is about £390. Not 100% sure if they ship outside the US, but they're a large company so maybe they do.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #1,901 of 3,438
Best way to get them at a good price (UK customer) is to buy them in the US, but have them shipped to a US address (friend, relative), and have them then mail the phones on to you with a low declared value (make sure they are sent recorded delivery).
This way you'll avoid those big brother taxes! :wink:

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #1,902 of 3,438
I have had my TH600s for 2 weeks now. I have upgraded from Ultrasone 900 pros and I have them running through an April Music Eximus DP1. I have also tried them though a little dot III.

I had done the kees mod to the Ultrasones as without it I found the bass and treble too intense. I also replaced the headband padding with a Sennheiser 650 HD headband pad velcroed in place.

Like this I could and did listen to the Ultrasones all day. I must have a sensitive head, because with the Fostex I ended up with a bad headache after a couple of hours; so I have wrapped the trusty sennheiser headband pad in a Leather off-cut I have velcroed in place; and I have been listening all day. No headache.

As to the sound; well they are simply awesome. Compared to the Ultrasones (which I loved) the sound is just so much bigger; dynamic; fresher. The bass quantity is similar but just goes so way much deeper. They took about ten hours to settle down (or for me to adjust to their sound). The Ultrasones had a decent soundstage, but the Fostex is so much bigger with more defined placement, ironically I had a test track with the ultrasones dynamic experience come up on random play; suddenly it felt like I was sitting in the middle of an Oompah band, you could almost smell the lederhosen - eaargh.

As others have noted they are not the most isolated closed cans; certainly not as much as the Ultrasones; where the world was pretty much shut out. 

I just downloaded Photek DJ Kicks from Bleep.com in flac - wow! Everything I have been listening to is wow. These phones just turn your senses to 11 and keep them there.

I must admit I was dithering for months about buying the TH600 or TH900. In the end I though get the TH600 give some of the saving to charity and spend the rest on Music. I think I made the right decision, 'cos if the TH900s are as big an improvement over the TH600s as the 600s are over the Ultrasones I think I would have exploded.

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #1,903 of 3,438
I forgot to mention. I live in the UK too, unless you get lucky with the exchange rates or can find a way to bypass customs charges I don't think the savings you make by importing are worth the hassle.

I think at the moment Thomann are the cheapest for UK with B stock advertised at £556.

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #1,904 of 3,438
I have had my TH600s for 2 weeks now. I have upgraded from Ultrasone 900 pros and I have them running through an April Music Eximus DP1. I have also tried them though a little dot III.

I had done the kees mod to the Ultrasones as without it I found the bass and treble too intense. I also replaced the headband padding with a Sennheiser 650 HD headband pad velcroed in place.

Like this I could and did listen to the Ultrasones all day. I must have a sensitive head, because with the Fostex I ended up with a bad headache after a couple of hours; so I have wrapped the trusty sennheiser headband pad in a Leather off-cut I have velcroed in place; and I have been listening all day. No headache.

As to the sound; well they are simply awesome. Compared to the Ultrasones (which I loved) the sound is just so much bigger; dynamic; fresher. The bass quantity is similar but just goes so way much deeper. They took about ten hours to settle down (or for me to adjust to their sound). The Ultrasones had a decent soundstage, but the Fostex is so much bigger with more defined placement, ironically I had a test track with the ultrasones dynamic experience come up on random play; suddenly it felt like I was sitting in the middle of an Oompah band, you could almost smell the lederhosen - eaargh.

As others have noted they are not the most isolated closed cans; certainly not as much as the Ultrasones; where the world was pretty much shut out. 

I just downloaded Photek DJ Kicks from Bleep.com in flac - wow! Everything I have been listening to is wow. These phones just turn your senses to 11 and keep them there.

I must admit I was dithering for months about buying the TH600 or TH900. In the end I though get the TH600 give some of the saving to charity and spend the rest on Music. I think I made the right decision, 'cos if the TH900s are as big an improvement over the TH600s as the 600s are over the Ultrasones I think I would have exploded.

Do the HD650 headband mod to the TH600. I have them on my D2000, D7000 and TH900 attached by very thin double stick tape (industrial 3M rand). Makes the headband perfect and can wear them for hours with no issues.

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,905 of 3,438
Do the HD650 headband mod to the TH600. I have them on my D2000, D7000 and TH900 attached by very thin double stick tape (industrial 3M rand). Makes the headband perfect and can wear them for hours with no issues.

This is a neat idea, might try it - though i might prefer the HD600's headband cushion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back