Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Feb 10, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #1,861 of 3,438
Very niceposts in this thread!

I was wondering now that i can see the price of th600 at 700usd if it worth comparing with alpha dogs (as it happens in other threads) for just 100usd difference?

I own a TH600 and have auditioned the Alpha Dogs a few times after I received my TH600.
I agree with Eternal Schism comparison of the 2 cans and also what ethan7000 posted.

To me, the AD is more of a neutral, or slightly flat presentation.

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #1,862 of 3,438
^ I know what you were saying, I think your opinion is as valid as any. Varoudis, I think Eternal gave a nice breakdown between the two. Another consideration might be what your source will be (the AD needs more juice) and how much isolation you need (the AD isolates better). I also found the AD more comfortable due to the suspension design and the deep lush pads, but I didn't get to test it for a long period of time. I own and love the 600, but have also heard and really enjoy the AD.

Thanks for the replays all! (btw Im a 'he' :) to avoid misunderstanding heheh )

1) To be honest I really though, from specs - weight etc, that AD is less comfortable than the 600! (and for long hours at work its crucial)

2) I understand they have different sigs and its great that you gave me a very details idea!

The other thing about the price tag is that the one is 'developed' as a 1000+USD headphone (ok maybe overpriced) and the other (AD) is a 99USD can with a lot of crazy enthusiasts modding.
To be honest I love the look and idea behind the AD as I love DIY and experimentation too, but in terms of overall knowledge and engineering I have some question marks...
On the other hand AD look like the phone I would have made, nice confy pad etc (thats a modder and designer speaking, I haven't tested both!)

Put Im really torn apart adopt the 2 :S

PS: as Im in London, I think its impossible to find a place to test both

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #1,863 of 3,438
If you can wait until May I'm sure you'll be able to test them both at the London Head Fi meet...

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #1,864 of 3,438
meets are awesome to get a general feel of a headphone. mrspeakers also has a 15 day return policy but the shipment overseas could be pricey.

one thing i will say is that for the pads i liked the th600 better than the alpha pads cause my ears would rub on the sides of em, while the th600 felt roomy. i may have big ears though.

if you do make it to a meet just keep in mind that some of the best amps/dacs are being used with music you may not be familiar with so expectations at home need to be tempered.

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #1,865 of 3,438
1) I have very small ears hehe Not for a man at my size but I think in general!

2) ill do 2 trips to the states in may but ill be only available to buy something on the first one (end of April start of may) :frowning2:

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #1,868 of 3,438
If you can wait until May I'm sure you'll be able to test them both at the London Head Fi meet...

Varoudis, this might be your best option, there's nothing like trying them for yourself. If you're lucky, maybe someone will bring a Hifiman 400i to the meet - it's supposed to have a signature like the HE500 with better comfort and drive-ability. Could be another option for you at $500, if open cans work for you.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #1,869 of 3,438
Varoudis, this might be your best option, there's nothing like trying them for yourself. If you're lucky, maybe someone will bring a Hifiman 400i to the meet - it's supposed to have a signature like the HE500 with better comfort and drive-ability. Could be another option for you at $500, if open cans work for you.

Based on my trip schedule i need to make a decision soon (especially for the ad as the shipping time is 4-5 weeks.)

If i can find something that satisfies me ill way for November that might be able to get them.
I dont want to ship them here.

ill go to the meeting for sure. Open can are not in my target at the moment! I need isolation for work!

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #1,870 of 3,438
I'll do a bit of a comparison for you.

bass/

the th600 has a more elevated bass response compared to the alpha dog this is especioally noticeable in the sub bass which you can feel tickling your ears whereas I do not get such a sensation with the alphas. the sub bass is noticeably forceful, the alpha is not bad per say but not bass head level. the mid bass of the th600 seems slightly elevated as well, more than the alpha dog. the th600 bass is well controlled though even though it is elevated. the alpha dogs bass is very clean and is never bloated or overpowered to me, bass guitar is well in line with guitar and not muddy.

mids/
the alpha dog have a very detailed and complete mid range, however in comparison to the he500, lcd2 the mid range seems a bit thinner and slightly emphasized in the upper midrange. there is more detail in the mid range than on the th600. the th600 mid range is referred a bit and much thinner than planars. the kids seem a bit dryer/less smooth than the planars.

/treble
the alphas are a bit north of what I consider neutral, can sound slightly splashy on bad recordings or the wrong recordings. overall though I find them both detailed and mostly smooth. gorgeous treble. the th600 can be glass like at times and I consider the treble brittle at lower treble frequencies. most recordings seem OK but it is a problem at times.

soundstage and imaging/
I find these two caterrgories to be strengths of the th600. I feel that the th600 has a more sizeable soundstage with very 3d placement. I find them better than the he500 and lcd2 in this regard. the alpha dog soundstage is still very good for a closed can and is well as head of the m100, Phillips l1, momentum etc. imaging/placement is above the hd600 on my setup.

anywhoo I've run out of time tho post on my phone. excuse any mistakes/capitals.

as always YMMV, IMO ext

+1
Pretty much my thoughts, too.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #1,871 of 3,438
I owned Mad Dog 3.2 and could be in minority who thinks that while decent overall they are greatly overrated and hyped comparing to decent closed dynamics like Sony MDR-7520 and esp. TH-600, might sound like a blasphemy but I even liked dynamatted MDR-1R better.
Are Alpha Dogs really in a different league altogether, I honestly didn't get that impression reading reviews comparing both (MD with AD). Disclaimer, I've never personally auditioned AD, guess my disappointment with different versions of MD was great enough to pass on upgrade deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back